Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 23:53   #2626
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Some new ones (drum type barricades) have cropped up on OMR as well. Hmm, looks like these have become standard tools for CCTP.
More of them seem to be cropping up every day - saw couple ones between the CTS and ASV stretch. The older barricades are now lying around haphazardly, resulting in potential risk to motorists, especially bikers.

And as if the drums / barricades were not trouble enough, the bovine problem is spreading. Till now, they used to lie on the road between the Sholinganallur - Kumaran Nagar stretch (in front of Infosys / TCS). Today on returning home, saw them spread out on OMR in the Karapakkam area - since motorists weren't expecting them there, there were quite some near-misses. I guess it is time we renamed the road from IT-Corridor to IT-Cowridor.

Wondering if this is part of some strategy on the part of the owners to "milk" money from people who hit these animals. On one hand, we have a big brouhaha about killing cows and here no one seems to be bothered about the cows getting injured / killed by letting them be where they should not be.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 02:52   #2627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Was there a fee for it ? I believe any such expo that charges for viewing vehicles has to be avoided.
No, there was no fee.

I wouldn't mind a fee if there were lots of vehicles and lots of other stuff too, from car care to audio. I don't mean the usual stuff that gets tagged on to almost every Chennai Trade centre expo (massage chairs, red vacuum cleaners, and miscellaneous plastic crap) but real quality motoring stuff.

It seems that organisers, manufacturers, distributors, dealers are just not interested in giving us anything that even slightly resembles a real motor show
Old 4th November 2015, 20:26   #2628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, there was no fee.
Wrong . I found the ticket, and saw that I had wasted Rs.20.

Little short of a scam.
Old 4th November 2015, 23:26   #2629
BHPian

and it happened !! A cabbie brushes the rear right fender and scoots.

OMR is becoming increasingly unsafe for 2 wheelers and private cars because of these moron cab drivers. I have been extra careful especially during non-peak hours but this happened. In the process of overtaking me from the right and missing those barricades, this sumo driver decides to nudge me to avoid the barricade. I was at a speed fit for middle lane cruising and he swung from my left to right and in the process he could have easily run my car under a truck to the left. All this while travelling with my pregnant wife. Gosh driving in india is not worth it ..AT ALL.

I have posted this on the Chennai Traffic Police FB page and have asked them to have some patrolling to check these new breed of pests. Hoping to see some change.

Beware BHPians, its getting increasingly unsafe on OMR and have a very watchful eye driving here.
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 00:06   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
and it happened !! A cabbie brushes the rear right fender and scoots.

I have posted this on the Chennai Traffic Police FB page and have asked them to have some patrolling to check these new breed of pests. Hoping to see some change.

Beware BHPians, its getting increasingly unsafe on OMR and have a very watchful eye driving here.
It is not happening only in OMR. In the past 6 months, the number of cabs seems to be ever increasing and while driving I am noticing more cabs than private cars running around. Most of the cabs are being driven rashly, cutting wildly across lanes without any indication. They also very purposely nudge other cars to create gaps knowing fully well that private cars will ultimately yield. I have tried holding my lane when I can but had to go defensive in many cases as it is not worth to take a hit to the car trying to teach them some road manners. They dont seem interested to be learning anyways. All in the name of some quick bucks.
Old 5th November 2015, 00:32   #2631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
It's not so long since it was my quickest, lowest-stress route home. Now (and for some time) it is just awful, just like the airport road, and one of the main reasons is cab drivers.

Many countries regulate professional drivers who carry members of the public as passengers very much more strictly than ordinary drivers of private cars. India is a long, long, way from even having that idea.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 01:13   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
In the past 6 months, the number of cabs seems to be ever increasing
Yes and the only qualifying test seems to be the ability to hold the steering wheel. Rest everything is gone with wind,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Many countries regulate professional drivers who carry members of the public as passengers very much more strictly than ordinary drivers of private cars. India is a long, long, way from even having that idea.
Folks who must ensure law and order turn a blind eye to this and and more often than not, there is a burly huge goon backing these minions so nobody can do nothing unless the cops wipe off their "you scratch my back-I'll let you scratch every other car on road" attitude.

Its really dis-heartening to see those SUVs with political flags breaking the laws right under the traffic cops nose and nothing.. just nothing happens to them.

So as long as such indifferences exist, the citizens will suffer and even worse, nothing will improve.

I was blind with rage when the cabbie hit my car and then in a moment, I thought what could change if I argue with this guy or even sock him in his face. The entire system is wrong so such things occur.
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 01:40   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Stalk the cabbie for few days and find his routine. Find the right time and right place where i can vandalize the car or atleast create something that will make him pay for his crimes. May be some sugar in the diesel tank or whaterver. May be simply buy a big ugly sticker that is difficult to remove with hands and past it on the front windshield, or may be scratch and dent the car.

Then i wake up to realize i am still sane and i would rather forget about the incident and enjoy these dreams rather than doing something i would regret.

These Cab drivers are insane and so is the passengers. I have multiple times pulled my cab driver over for speaking in phone or driving rashly. I clearly tell him upfront as well as while driving and i dont mind getting dropped out in the middle of the road if he doesnt obey to my rules.

I wish as passengers we all take a stand and stick to our stand. (Heck the educated IT folks in night shift cabs dont open their mouth let alone these day users).
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 12:12   #2634
BHPian

I have stopped using the omr as much as possible, and during the day I use the ecr or the Pallikaranai - Medavakkam - Thalambur road for some peaceful driving. Though not broad, it does not have much Cabs on that route. If I need to go into the city, then I take Adyar - ecr - sholinganallur - then OMR. At night I use the OMR, when the traffic is comparatively less to avoid all the road rage and such incidents. As I have always been complaining, the barricades are causing problems as they think its solving!!
Old 5th November 2015, 13:22   #2635
BHPian

Unfortunately i have to take the OMR everyday - from Semmencheri to ASV Suntech Park and back. Rampant rash driving is a great worry. Even with the truck i give yield to the cabbies (even Indicas). They have nothing to lose - a dent/scratch in my truck will sink my heart.
Old 5th November 2015, 13:53   #2636
Senior - BHPian

^^^OT: Since you mention ASV and truck, I guess the TBHP-stickered white Safari Storme that I see parked at ASV, must be your ride. It does look good.
IIRC we have met once - when you had some issue (accident?) with your Swift.
Old 5th November 2015, 14:16   #2637
BHPian

Atleast, they dont mess with big boys!! actually, i become the savior for cars, the moment i see a cab messing up with a private car, i just cut them through as if challenging them to mess with my scorpio.

Its a 6 years old truck with enough scars so i throw back the same carefree attitude towards them.
klassics45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:05   #2638
BHPian

I do confront them sometimes, but finally realized it is of absolutely no use. I had the opportunity to shift my house to besant nagar, close by to office and son's school, leave the car home for the weekend and started riding to office by motorcycle. At least 95% of my stress is gone now!
Old 5th November 2015, 20:26   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^OT: Since you mention ASV and truck, I guess the TBHP-stickered white Safari Storme that I see parked at ASV, must be your ride. It does look good.
IIRC we have met once - when you had some issue (accident?) with your Swift.
Correct! I since sold the Swift this Feb. Purchased the truck last November
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 18:06   #2640
BHPian

With the incessant rains most of the Chennai roads are history now. It has become a nightmare negotiating the potholes and clearly shows why relaying poor quality tar roads aint the solution. Guess we have got to brace for more rains ahead this week.

Most Viewed