Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2015, 13:38   #2671
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Many of my friends who left around 8pm from navalur reached much later than 1:30 to areas around porur or north chennai. I had a reasonable better time to anna nagar via kelambam-vandalur and chennai bypass. It took around 2 hrs at 10pm.

How is the water situation throughout ?
Old 24th November 2015, 13:52   #2672
BHPian

I left office around 5:45 PM last evening and could manage to reach home within 35 minutes.

My colleagues who left office 30 to 45 minutes behind me were stuck and took considerable time to reach home.

This morning (24-Nov), did a survey of rail sub-ways on my 2 wheeler.

Palavanthangal - Submerged

Thillai-Ganga Nagar - Submerged

Meenambakkam - Open for traffic

So, used this sub-way to reach office.

If there are no rains in late afternoon, can use the same route to reach home. Otherwise, have to look for a cozy-place to sleep in office itself!
Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:15   #2673
Senior - BHPian

A colleague took three hours to drive to Anna Nagar from Guindy. I am commuting by suburban train since Diwali and reached home (chromepet) in about 45 minutes. The challenge was reaching Guindy station in the blinding rain as autos refused to ply for such a small distance. Finally another colleague dropped me there. From Chromepet station to home paid Rs 20 instead of the usual Rs 10 for share auto, otherwise no problem. At times like these, trains rock.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th November 2015 at 14:17.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:38   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Any record breaking travel time yesterday evening? Heard few friends took 6 hours to reach home from office instead of normal 1/1.5 hour. Mine thankfully was just 2.5 hours compared to the usual 1 hour.
I started at 6 PM from Sholinganallur and reached Nungambakkam(distance of 24km) at 1 AM via OMR as all other alternatives were reported to be stuck as well. Total of 7 Hours of which the major portion was from Hi-Style till Madhyakailash and then till IIT.
(Heard of someone taking 8 hours for 12 Km from Porur to Velachery.)
Some learning from my similar experience few years ago came in very handy. Keeping water and snacks in the vehicle are a must ( I had some water and food so was not hungry). Cell phone charger was another major life saver. Helped me keep phone charged to keep checking WA groups for traffic/flooding statys and stay in touch with family who were worried. One item I missed was to keep an empty water bottle in the vehicle (managed to control myself till I reached home). Getting out at intervals to stretch also ensured my leg was in good shape.

However one learning I still havnt done is to leave for home from office early on such days. I think this experience has taught me well.

Last edited by sjcherian : 24th November 2015 at 14:45. Reason: Added more content
sjcherian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:55   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Had to wade through water logged roads last night and every road literally was a gridlock. Took me 3.5 hours to reach The Park Hotel near Gemini from Mylapore. The return at 12:30 AM took 20 minutes. I see a lot of frustration from drivers in such gridlocks and understandably so, but honking and squeezing into every available gap gets them 1/2 a metre ahead of someone else, perhaps? So what's the point, really? Honestly, more frustration for them and others they're cutting through. They ain't getting home any sooner just 'cos they're frustrated!

Another observation while wading through deep flood is the total disregard of some drivers to just literally splash their way through putting other cars and their safety at risk. May be a childhood cheekiness coming out perhaps, but everyone loves to have a fast drive splash through floods! A Sumo cab driver did just that overtaking from the left just to show off he could! What a pillock! In the process he gave all the cars a bath obscuring their views (including mine) for a moment and letting water seep through our bonnets and insides.

Spirited driving through a flood not just puts others at risk (including hapless pedestrians) but their own cars by letting water splash into areas it was never meant to, if that driver had decided to go slow. Having said all that, I love to see cars splash through and in fact I walk to such spots just to see this! But as a driver, better sense prevails.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 24th November 2015 at 14:57.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 15:17   #2676
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Friends,
How is the condition in chennai today - especially airport to OMR stretch? Need to be there for an official visit.

Any rain forecasts for tomorrow?
Old 24th November 2015, 15:25   #2677
BHPian

Yesterday, I started from Porur @8:15pm amd reached pallikarani by 10:45pm. Ofcourse i travelled by bike. There was a big jam till menambakkam, where i think there is a railway gate to cross over. After that it was a breeze. I saw a large jam from pallavaram till Kathipara and from Chennai Trade center till Kathipara. Today morning came via Maduvangarai bridge and it took around an hour.
Old 24th November 2015, 15:37   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Any record breaking travel time yesterday evening? Heard few friends took 6 hours to reach home from office instead of normal 1/1.5 hour. Mine thankfully was just 2.5 hours compared to the usual 1 hour.
I ended up staying in office over night at T Nagar (price paid for not starting early enough). Vijayaraghava road was like a shallow canal for long time together with line of vehicles sailing through. Mount road / Anna salai was seen with never ending heavy traffic (dark red in G maps) till midnight so left the idea of venturing out. Beach road was seen fairly okay for a round about trip to south Chennai through adyar, OMR, but I was not quite sure about Pallikaranai and thought of getting stuck at the last leg past mid night scared me.
Well, reached home by morning 630 easily(thanks to no rains through the night). and took work from home today.
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:04   #2679
BHPian

From twitter , TNagar supposedly. Cars, bike, boat all in one frame. Only thing missing is a tram.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-cujyu5eueaagypl.jpg  

Old 24th November 2015, 16:27   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Friends,
How is the condition in chennai today - especially airport to OMR stretch? Need to be there for an official visit.

Any rain forecasts for tomorrow?
So far its good, and the main roads should be better.

The forecast is moderate rain for next couple of days, before we are likely get some heavy spellls. Hopefully its better for tomm, currently only traffic snarls are expected due to water logging.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:38   #2681
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, we wanted to go to a concert in Mylapore. The weather had been quite good in the day, so we left our Palavakkam home after 5.00pm. As we reached Thiruvanmiyur, the rain was heavy, and my wife had the good idea to phone to see if the event was still on. It was cancelled. I did a U-tun on LB Road and we came home again.

It was just a short round trip in the rain. God knows how many hours, coming and going, it might have taken had we pushed on to Luz/Royapettah High Road!

And it is a good thing we came home. Spent a heavy evening's work with the pump.
Old 24th November 2015, 17:02   #2682
BHPian

I usually leave office early - so I reached home just as the rains started. A lot of my colleagues who started later ended up reaching their homes after 3-4 hours.
Old 24th November 2015, 17:12   #2683
BHPian

I luckily started by 5pm from Ambattur Industrial estate when the rains started coming down heavily and seeing the heavy rain throughout the way, didnt want to take chance with thillai ganga nagar subway and took a roundabout route via saidapet-rajbhavan-Velachery-Vijayanagar (25kms total). Luckily reached by 6.45pm when the traffic chaos started.

Unfortunately my wife got stuck in her office in MGR Salai, OMR and had to start again and bring her back home. It took me around 2.5hrs to go and come back covering a distance of less than 10Kms.
Old 25th November 2015, 10:59   #2684
BHPian

boatman trying to avoid scratching the top of a dzire(?) @1:46 along what appears to be a normal road on any other day

Last edited by WindRide : 25th November 2015 at 11:00.
Old 25th November 2015, 15:05   #2685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
boatman trying to avoid scratching the top of a dzire(?)
I think he's trying to avoid scratching the boat!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks