Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 13:45   #2761
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am driving after 18 months and i dont know if its just me or the density has just doubled. The same distance even with construction obstructions used to take 60 minutes now takes over 75minutes.
I had a similar observation when I visited in Aug 2014. In 2011-12, I used to start from home at 300-330pm in the afternoon. It used to take 1:00-1:10 hr to cross Paranur, now it is like 1:45-2:00 hrs with an identical start time. I used to reach Trichy Number 1 tollgate in 4:30-4:45, we were just crossing Veppur at the same drive time.

This am talking about, much before the Madras floods happened.
Old 30th December 2015, 10:16   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Any idea why at the Sholinganallur signal, people coming in from the Global hospital side are being made to travel in the service lane for around 150m on taking the left? It is increasing the chaos during the peak evening times and frankly I don't see even one reason why such a thing was even conceived in the first place
Old 30th December 2015, 17:52   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Any idea why at the Sholinganallur signal, people coming in from the Global hospital side are being made to travel in the service lane for around 150m on taking the left? It is increasing the chaos during the peak evening times and frankly I don't see even one reason why such a thing was even conceived in the first place
The probable reason is to avoid the autos and bikes from taking a 'U' turn earlier. Infact even with the current arrangement, I saw a bike guy taking a U turn and riding towards the intersection. This was causing too much of a problem for the traffic coming from Navalur, as the guys used to block the lane.
Old 5th January 2016, 17:57   #2764
BHPian

My office has been shifted from Porur to Ambattur Estate and my travel from Pallikaranai to Ambattur is hell during peak timings. If i take the normal thillai ganga nagar subway, kathipara, DLF, Porur it is around 27kms and lots of traffic. If i take pallavaram, tambaram, chennai bypass it is toll road, mostly better traffic and 40 kms. Please provide me suggestions and better/alternate routes.

Last edited by vennarbank : 5th January 2016 at 18:01.
Old 5th January 2016, 19:49   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
My office has been shifted from Porur to Ambattur Estate and my travel from Pallikaranai to Ambattur is hell during peak timings. If i take the normal thillai ganga nagar subway, kathipara, DLF, Porur it is around 27kms and lots of traffic. If i take pallavaram, tambaram, chennai bypass it is toll road, mostly better traffic and 40 kms. Please provide me suggestions and better/alternate routes.
I am commuting from Velachery by pass road to Ambattur estate bus stand and the route I take is Velachery->Phoenix->maduvankarai brige->guindy->Kasi theatre->Ashok pillar->vadapalani->Koyambedu-> take left onto ponamalle high road -> take right for nolambur -> wavin signal -> ambattur estate bus stand.

In the morning, i face maximum traffic till I reach guindy from velachery. After that there is not much stoppage all the way till ambattur. Though Guindy to ambattur via 100ft road has a lot of signals, traffic flow is smooth, even during 9-10am.

In the evening, peak hours, ambattur to guindy itself takes a lot of time,. esp from vadapalani. After guindy via thillai nagar subway it is free flowing. I have not tried Porur route much since the traffic till by pass starting is a lot. You can try the route I mentioned above in the mornings (you can merge in guindy from your place) but evenings all the routes except the by-pass till tambaram will have traffic.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 07:18   #2766
BHPian

found this gem on reddit. My reactions when people complain about chennai traffic
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-vdz6s3g.jpg.png  

hajaar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 18:18   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
I am commuting from Velachery by pass road to Ambattur estate bus stand and the route I take is Velachery->Phoenix->maduvankarai brige->guindy->Kasi theatre->Ashok pillar->vadapalani->Koyambedu-> take left onto ponamalle high road -> take right for nolambur -> wavin signal -> ambattur estate bus stand.

In the morning, i face maximum traffic till I reach guindy from velachery. After that there is not much stoppage all the way till ambattur. Though Guindy to ambattur via 100ft road has a lot of signals, traffic flow is smooth, even during 9-10am.

In the evening, peak hours, ambattur to guindy itself takes a lot of time,. esp from vadapalani. After guindy via thillai nagar subway it is free flowing. I have not tried Porur route much since the traffic till by pass starting is a lot. You can try the route I mentioned above in the mornings (you can merge in guindy from your place) but evenings all the routes except the by-pass till tambaram will have traffic.
Thanks Praveen. I will try this route.
Old 25th January 2016, 11:34   #2768
BHPian

Just so people do not get the feeling that traffic in Chennai has suddenly become organized, posting this.

The stretch between Bharathidasan Road & Eldams Road has been a one way since almost 15 / 20 years. (Maybe more or less)

Found this brilliant guy in a White Terrano with a flag of a political party fluttering, driving from the Music academy side into this one way totally unmindful of the inconvenience caused. Worse still, these guys had the audacity to scare motorists into making way for them and were actually visibly angry at us for not yielding.

Wonder what happened after that and if he actually made it to the other side against the constant stream of traffic.

God save us.

Drive safe guys. Never know what kind of clowns drive these days.

Last edited by anvara : 25th January 2016 at 11:34. Reason: Typo
Old 4th February 2016, 23:41   #2769
Senior - BHPian

On my way to a temple today evening, I was behind a bus (2 bus lengths). The bus had almost crossed a junction point when I see a scooter take a u-turn from the opposite side. He hit the bus and fell down on the road.

I parked my vehicle and by that time a couple of other folks also came and we helped him up and took him and his vehicle to the side. He was an aged person and was very shaken so offered him some water. Asked him to rest for 5 minutes but he was in a great hurry and left almost immediately. I just hope he made it home safely.

Looking back, I feel it is the scooterist's fault as there was no way the bus could have seen him. Good that he was wearing a helmet so he got away with some scratches and bleeding on his elbow

On a side note, the unruliness of bikes within the city is increasing every day
Old 5th February 2016, 03:16   #2770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He hit the bus and fell down on the road.
The media would report it as The bus rammed the two-wheeler.

No doubt, all the writers drive two-wheelers
Old 5th February 2016, 09:37   #2771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He hit the bus and fell down on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the report were to read 'Rashly driven bus (travelling at 100kmph) rammed a hapless scooterist'
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 09:58   #2772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

No doubt, all the writers drive two-wheelers
By law, the blame would be on the bigger vehicle and he( the driver) will be assumed at fault. I asked my lawyer friend regarding this and the answer was that the person driving a larger vehicle is considered well-to-do, and the smaller vehicle guy 'will be' poorer than him and at an accident the bigger guy could offer to help the poor ones.

A strange law.
Old 5th February 2016, 15:24   #2773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By law, the blame would be on the bigger vehicle ...
By Law? Ahem... No! No way.

But on the street, it's a different matter.
Old 5th February 2016, 20:36   #2774
Senior - BHPian

For a query about the best vehicle to be in on Indian roads, Dilip Bam once famously replied "Bigger, the better; and biggest is best!"

But on our roads the bigger vehicle is always looked upon as the one at fault. Lorry hits car, public sympathy will be with the car. Car hits scooter, then it will be with the scooter. Scooter hits bicycle, scooter fellow is arrogant. Cycle hits a pedestrian, cyclist is a rogue!

I guess it is the subconscious urge to root for the (perceived) underdog!
Old 11th February 2016, 21:35   #2775
BHPian

Hi,

I have the habit of obeying traffic lights strictly. The incident below happened today at Rajakilpakkam signal in Tambaram - Velachery Main road.

I was about to take a right turn towards Madambakkam. There was straight signal but after careful observation I found the right turn signal was damaged (image attached below) so I was approaching slowly at 25kmph.

The traffic started moving from opposite direction and I guessed they must have got the signal and so I stopped my vehicle. There was a MTC bus behind me who kept honking me like anything.

I really didn't know what was his problem and don't know how a car could jump signal or traffic when it was in full flow. I stood right there with windows rolled up till the straight signal turned green because I know both right and straight signal were turned on simultaneously.

Don't know when the MTC buses (not all of them) will start obeying traffic rules and other vehicles on the road.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_20160211_180044.jpg

Most Viewed