Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 10:48   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
Bangalore has a bad traffic control largely due to inability to handle the influx of vehicles but no one there is in such a hurry to drive so madly.
Could the weather be a reason for Chennai-ites being in a hurry as compared to the Bangaloreans ? Maybe the hot sun makes all of us want to rush as quickly as possible to the shelter of our home/office, while those in Blore drive/ride around leisurely enjoying the nice weather. Though this is no excuse for those of us who drive in a/c cars.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:09   #272
BHPian

Once built, it will take quite a load off Madhya Kailash and Tiruvanmiyur Junctions at the cost of manifold increase in traffic on 2nd & 3rd main roads of Indiranagar.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:25   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... and now it is going to be rebuilt as a major route between the two areas! I think they are working on it already.
(Actually Indira Nagar to OMR)
And then there will be more chaos on the road. All of a sudden, everyone would want to use the road, because they have started the flyover at TIDEL park junction. The stretch between Madhya Kailash and TIDEL is the one where one can enjoy higher average speeds. Will be short lived soon.
BTW does anybody know when the OMR project Phase 1 will be complete? I believe it is going to be 2 years next month, when they started collecting toll on this road and there has been no improvements at all in this road.
Regarding csathish's post, we also need to blame ourselves for not using the footpath. Since nobody uses it two-wheelers (I have a feeling there are more twowheelers than people in Chennai ) have started using it. And I have seen it happen in Bangalore as well.
Even if Govt provides pedestrians facilities for crossing the road like Skywalks or subways people will still cross the road unmindful of traffic. This reflects the attitude of people (including me and most of us here). First there is a rule and then there would people who would want to exhibit their cleverness by breaking that rule. Finally the rule becomes a farce and then nobody ever recollects that a rule ever existing.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:06   #274
BHPian

+1 to Chennai having more 2-wheelers than any other place.
+1 to People in Bangalore/Mumbai not being in that extreme mad rush to say me-first as in Chennai.
+1 to sB's comment on Bangalore being a little "cool" about it and we want to get into a place which is "cool". Reminds me of how a TTE smiled at a kid while checking tickets in an AC compartment. Imagine him doing the same in a chaotic sleeper compartment with vendors/non-reserved-passengers moving around all the time. No way! Never seen it.

Regarding Canal bank road and OMR getting worse after 2 yrs of toll collection. I pay 35 bucks for 2 km of crap daily. What if all car owners on a designated day decide to come by bikes - will the demonstration have an effect? But firstly can the protest be carried out, how much difficult to mobilize such an effort? We need to learn from our neighbouring state. 100% success all the time Just imagine - no private 4-wheelers on that road at all. It would be a loss to them or no-earnings.

Skywalks: There is one near Central thats going to be built. Needs it badly. But they should be a little smart in planning now. Its 2010. Connect both the Park stations (Emu/MRTS), the Central stations (local and long-distance), the metro station at Rippon with "moving" walkways (flat escalators) broad enough so that the left side could be just standing and moving and the right side could be for the ones who want to run through.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 1st November 2010 at 12:17.
Old 1st November 2010, 17:08   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Pretty funny Riju!!! You want to drive a KL registered car in TN & expecting the cops not to fine on you when you don't have a NOC? If you've entered for less than 3 months, then I too pity the cops.

No way!!! I remember reading one of our member's experience with AP registered car in Trivandrum where he was with his sister too!!! He'd to pay Rs 100 baksheesh!!! This is unity among diversity
Ganesh,
No it ain't funny unless you are a cop in chennai.
If you don't know the rules of using other state registration in Chennai or any other place. I'd suggest you to keep restraint in posting irrelevant comments.

If you have something against KL or Tvm or any place else please don't take it out on me and hope that I'll say something to keep you amused.

Enough said. Thanks.

Quote:
Easier said than done, which reminds me of a joke on the conversation between Obama & Dr.K.K

Scene 1 - Dr goes to US
Location - US, Obama's house
Dr - Eppadi ivalo periya veedu kattineenga?
O - Anga thooratula oru bridge theiryudha?
Dr - Aama theiruyudu
O - Andha bridge la irundhu vandha commissiona vechchu kattinaen

Scene 2 - Obama comes to Chennai
Location - Gopalapuram
O - Ennoda veedoda unga veedu perisa irukkae? Eppadi kattineenga?
Dr - Atho oru bridge theriyudha?
O - Theriyalaye?
Dr - Anga bridge katta vendiya panathula katinaen

Laugh over the rants!!! Nothing much can be done in this country.
Would you care to translate please.

Last edited by yzfrj : 1st November 2010 at 17:12.
Old 1st November 2010, 17:39   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

The joke goes like this:

Scene 1 - Dr goes to US
Location - US, Obama's house
Dr - How did you manage to own such a big house?
O - Do you see a bridge over there?
Dr - Yes, I see it
O - I used the commission amount I received for constructing it

Scene 2 - Obama comes to Chennai
Location - Gopalapuram
O - Your house is much bigger than yours! How did you do this?
Dr - Do you see a bridge out there?
O - I can't see anything of that sort!
Dr - I used the funds that were supposed to be used to build the bridge to build my house

Actually, it's a famous joke. The characters differ, based on context. But the gist is, corruption is rampant and everyone has accepted it to be a part and parcel of life here
I had my plans to take a vehicle here in Chennai, but I decided to be a spectator rather than wasting my time, money and more importantly peace of mind because of the ever-growing number of vehicles and their Brownian motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
... Regarding csathish's post, we also need to blame ourselves for not using the footpath. Since nobody uses it two-wheelers (I have a feeling there are more twowheelers than people in Chennai ) have started using it.
I've seen many walkways being taken up for planting flower plants in the name of beautifying the city, and in the process shrunk to non-usable levels. And also, there are quite a few areas where they create footpaths wide enough, but the slabs over the drains over which the footpaths are built, are either broken, or placed haphazardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Even if Govt provides pedestrians facilities for crossing the road like Skywalks or subways people will still cross the road unmindful of traffic. This reflects the attitude of people (including me and most of us here). First there is a rule and then there would people who would want to exhibit their cleverness by breaking that rule. Finally the rule becomes a farce and then nobody ever recollects that a rule ever existing.
True

Last edited by silversteed : 1st November 2010 at 17:46.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:06   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ganesh,
If you don't know the rules of using other state registration in Chennai or any other place. I'd suggest you to keep restraint in posting irrelevant comments.

If you have something against KL or Tvm or any place else please don't take it out on me and hope that I'll say something to keep you amused.

Enough said. Thanks.
I understand your frustration, its not a good thing to be made to wait on the road with family on board. But, its a common thing thats happening almost everywhere.

I had this experience in Bangalore when a cop caught a TN regd vehicle of mine with my family inside. I had all the papers including toll receipts to prove that I entered Bangalore just a week back. But, he started falsely accusing me of rash driving, jumping signal and trying not to stop the car when he asked me to stop. That was enough for me to give him a few hundreds and leave the place.

I have found the Chennai cops to be better off in that case. I was caught for speeding and paid fine on OMR. The cop was explaining the dangers of driving fast and he gave me a friendly nod when I left the place and kept reminding me about driving under speed limits. He was very well behaved. Good & bad cops are everywhere! We can never complaint with location as a reference.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:32   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Good & bad cops are everywhere! We can never complaint with location as a reference.
+1
From my experience of driving in chennai,hyderabad and Bangalore.
All the cities have their own share of good cops/bad cops ratio.

Since i am riding a karnataka registration vehicle in chennai,i need to keep a note of important cop infested areas and try to avoid it to the max or have to travel in the extreme right side to avoid getting caught.
But some cops will give you shock of your life by hiding behind the left turns and will cash in on the unsuspecting riders who thinks its a free-left and make a turn.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:19   #279
Senior - BHPian

From my experience, Chennai cops 'usually' don't bother other-state cars, unless the driver has run a signal or done some other violation. I have driven GJ and AS registered cars here without being stopped even once.

But if your bike is from out-of-state, be prepared to be stopped every now & then - have been stopped too many times to remember (and paid a small amount everytime) when I used to have a KL scooter here.

In Kerala, they dont bother about which state regn number you have on the car/bike. There I see more checks for helmet, DUI and ofcourse waiting around the bend on NH45 catching people for going above the absurd speedlimit of 40 or 50kmph at certain sections.
Old 1st November 2010, 21:18   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I was caught for speeding and paid fine on OMR. The cop was explaining the dangers of driving fast and he gave me a friendly nod when I left the place and kept reminding me about driving under speed limits. He was very well behaved. Good & bad cops are everywhere! We can never complaint with location as a reference.
I'm not saying all cops are bad.
At least in my experience majority here are.

I've been just asked (Year 2005)

Cop (SI) : Where are you from ?
Me : Cochin.
Cop : Oh...! Kerala ? Nice place I was there.
He looks at my license and papers for my KL bike and lets me go.

The "lesser" cop who was shouting a minute back and forcefully took my key, begs for Rs 50.

Recently in Blr cops have been given specific instruction (I read it from some place) from higher up's not too harass other state vehicles.

So too in KL cops have been given specific instructions to be polite to motorist (even if they break the law). Under the table dealings have gone down drastically and cops will now give a receipt for any fine imposed.

Here in chennai basically you are treated as a petty criminal and the idiotic bus guys and the "party" Scopio are waved pass. The cop at the road side is not 100% at fault. His big boss's are to be blamed.
Old 1st November 2010, 21:30   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Riju, looks like you haven't got the point; all I'm asking you is, when you're expected to have a NOC when you stay beyond 3 months as per law and when you don't have one, are you saying the cops should let you go free? You didn't answer this point.

Quote:
I'm sharing my experience & to help ppl out here. If you don't believe, I used to own a KL7M2722 registered Rx100 way back from 1999-2000 & I used to very well get away by showing the NOC followed by reregistration applied receipt from RTO. I posted the number for you to verify from Tiruvallur RTO that the vehicle was & still registered in my name.

Quote:
You got everything misunderstood Riju. I said KL is no exception when it comes to cops be it Chennai or TVM, if there's vitamin M, one can easily get away with things; unless you want to say cops in KL are very straight forward, you might find my post offensive.

Quote:
Its already translated, go back a page - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2124752-post.html

Last edited by aargee : 1st November 2010 at 21:36.
Old 1st November 2010, 22:08   #282
BHPian

Quote:
You got everything misunderstood Riju. I said KL is no exception when it comes to cops be it Chennai or TVM, if there's vitamin M, one can easily get away with things; unless you want to say cops in KL are very straight forward, you might find my post offensive.
No, no, no.
None taken buddy.

Just I'm unlucky enough to have had much too many bad experience with cops here.

KL cops have changed for the better.Their attitude has changed so much and now they are friendly and approachable.

T hey will not take vitamin M , especially true in case of DUI, and will let you go without booking you as per the law. Fine will be payable in court.
Same goes for cell phone while driving, speeding, jumping red light etc.

They now don't do the "routine" book/paper checking for making a quick $ atleast in my home town Cochin.

This has worked worked wonders in case of few friends of mine who used to drive/ride back after drinking party. Now they catch a cab or walk home.
Old 1st November 2010, 22:20   #283

Nice thread :-) Driving in chennai is as horrible as in any other metros (ofcourse bangalore included), which is a result of people, not being ignorant of the traffic rules, but being careless and selfish. Two wheelers, autos, water-tankers and buses share the best of annoying league. For whoever wants to learn bumper-to-bumper driving, I would suggest Duraiswamy bridge/ Madley bridge to Tnagar busstand road, where i lived for years. When I just moved into Bangalore from Chennai, I was surprised to see two wheelers driving over the pedestrian pathway and bikes honking from behind in the signals while it is still red.
Old 1st November 2010, 22:25   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They now don't do the "routine" book/paper checking for making a quick $ atleast in my home town Cochin.
I experienced a routine check when coming from Neyatingara to TVM during Nov 2009.

Lets stop the OT here & continue with Chennai.

Its all different experience for all of us. Cops usually play the good cop, bad cop to extort money. All I'm saying is, understand their trick & never give up. Like there's no law enforcement, the fine & punishment for all these petty things are also less. The highest punishment is for drink & drive where there's no fine, but taken directly to court. All others are mere spot fines with the highest of Rs 1000 for rash & negligent driving, talking on cell phone when driving/riding, driving uninsured.

Source - Chennai Traffic Police :: Spot Fine System

Just be aware, never give up, say yes to the cop when they say that one needs to go to court. Last but not the least, when one's on mistake accept it & not argue saying "I know it all".
Old 4th November 2010, 13:33   #285
BHPian

I drive every day between Nanganallur and Ambattur IE through the inner ring road (IRR). With the fly over construction at Koyambedu and metro work all along the stretch, it was a nightmare crossing the 15km stretch between Kathipara to Wavin Jn in AIE. Add to that 24 signals it is a 1-2-3 gear shift game throughout. Depending on the time of the day, it was taking 75 min - 90 min each way.

Two days back decided to try the below route .

Wavin Jn, Bye pass road, service road to Porur just before the toll booth, Porur, Kathipara. Though the distance is more by a around a km , I could cover this stretch in 40 - 50 mins depending on the waiting period at Porur signal.

The only bottleneck is the Porur signal and even after providing 15 min to cross the signal , I could still do it 50 mins.

And my Figo loves this route going by the DTE figs. The road condition is good, lesser signals (hardly 4 or 5 compared to 24 on the IRR) and you can maintain a steady speed through out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks