Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2017, 12:19   #2866
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Did anyone get caught in traffic jam on the Kathipara Junction this morning? *SNIP*
I missed it by a little less than a minute. I passed Kathipara and was taking the turn at Bhat Road junction when someone called me and asked if i got caught. I had just crossed.

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:56   #2867
BHPian

EDIT: It is metro water work as posted by BHPian anachronix, should have checked before posting here. Mods please delete this post. WhatsApp spammers. Attaching screenshot of CCTP page.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-screenshot_20170622181844647.jpeg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys apparently the road caved in outside the Park on Nungambakkam high road. Got this on WhatsApp as a forward.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img20170622wa0005.jpg

Last edited by Shanksta : 22nd June 2017 at 18:25.
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:59   #2868
Senior - BHPian

Its Metro Water work that is going on there, it was posted by CCTP on their FB page in the morning today.

Are you sure its road caving in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Guys road caved in outside the Park on Nungambakkam high road. This is just getting ridiculous, did they even do a proper study of the soil before digging tunnels under major roads.

Apparently super heavy traffic now on Mount road in and around Gemini bridge because of this. Be careful driving through here. Got this on WhatsApp a few minutes back and sharing it here.

Attachment 1650373

Attachment 1650374
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:14   #2869
Team-BHP Support

Hearing rumors that the Porur flyover would be open for traffic from June 25th. That will be some respite for the folks who travel through this messy junction.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:42   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Its Metro Water work that is going on there, it was posted by CCTP on their FB page in the morning today.

Are you sure its road caving in?
From a photograph that I received today, it appears to be some maintenance work rather than a cave in.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dug-up.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2017, 22:47   #2871
BHPian

OMR:

It's an ordeal if you don't cross it at the right time. Tidel park signal being the worst of the lot with upto 15minutes waiting time. I'm someone who's up for driving any time, any place. But, the traffic in OMR has actually made me look for alternatives than taking my own car.
I saw the worst of it 2 days ago when the heavens opened up & it took me a good 1hour to reach madhya Kailash from SRP tools junction. Horrendous traffic.
Old 22nd June 2017, 23:03   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
OMR:

It's an ordeal if you don't cross it at the right time. Tidel park signal being the worst of the lot with upto 15minutes waiting time. I'm someone who's up for driving any time, any place. But, the traffic in OMR has actually made me look for alternatives than taking my own car.
I saw the worst of it 2 days ago when the heavens opened up & it took me a good 1hour to reach madhya Kailash from SRP tools junction. Horrendous traffic.
The main reason is part of the road being blocked right near the turn for Ramanujam IT park for some construction work and lots of vehicles queue up to turn left and block the road completely.
Old 22nd June 2017, 23:12   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was there in my bike. Took the service lane, cut across and crossed over to the other side opposite madhya kailash, pushed over walking wrong side to the underpass and went inside adyar.

I have completely stopped using OMR and because it was raining and i was in bike i took OMR so worst case there will be enough people and apollo was on the way. Thats how i decide routes many days.

Usual route i take is ECR so from shols it takes exactly 50 minutes to reach home at Alwarpet. On the day of India vs Bangladesh it took me 38 minutes the lowest ever
Old 23rd June 2017, 01:24   #2874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
The main reason is part of the road being blocked right near the turn for Ramanujam IT park for some construction work and lots of vehicles queue up to turn left and block the road completely.
The reason is there are too many roadside stalls allover the place on that road. Anyone who has to reach Ramanujam IT Park or IITM Research Park has to thread this needle My office is in the latter, and the standard route is to through the rear entrance.
Old 23rd June 2017, 06:34   #2875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I was there in my bike. Took the service lane, cut across and crossed over to the other side opposite madhya kailash, pushed over walking wrong side to the underpass and went inside adyar.

I have completely stopped using OMR and because it was raining and i was in bike i took OMR so worst case there will be enough people and apollo was on the way. Thats how i decide routes many days.

Usual route i take is ECR so from shols it takes exactly 50 minutes to reach home at Alwarpet. On the day of India vs Bangladesh it took me 38 minutes the lowest ever
There is an alternate route from Ascendas to IIT, Chennai entrance which passes alongside IIT campus. Though the Road (or the street, officially known as) is narrow, 2 vehicles can easily squeeze through the road. Except for the Metro Tankers, this route is relatively traffic free!
Shared route
From Ascendas IT Park to IIT Madras Main Gate Bus Stop via CSIR Rd and Pillaiyar Koil St.

15 min (3.7*km)
14 min in current traffic

1. Head west
2. Turn right towards CSIR Rd
3. Take the slip road to CSIR Rd
4. Turn left onto CSIR Rd
5. Arrive at location: IIT Madras Research Park
6. Head north on Kanagam Rd/Pillaiyar Koil St towards Nehru St
7. Turn right onto 4th Cross St
8. Turn left onto KaliKunram Main Rd
9. Turn right onto Ethiraj St
10. Arrive at location: Pallipattu
11. Head north on Ethiraj St towards Pallipattu Main Rd
12. Turn right onto Sriram Nagar Main Rd
13. Turn left onto Sardar Patel Rd
14. Keep left to stay on Sardar Patel Rd
15. Arrive at location: IIT Madras Main Gate Bus Stop

For the best route in current traffic visit eFHEXHBGaat
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:40   #2876
BHPian

Was driving to T-Nagar an hour back when I saw this . Was able to see a Piaggio Ape pulled over to the left and it was spewing out this thick dense smoke. This was just before Guindy bus stand on GST road. Pics taken by my passenger.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_20170623_123541.jpg
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_20170623_123517.jpg
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_20170623_123622.jpg
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:03   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
There is an alternate route from Ascendas to IIT, Chennai entrance which passes alongside IIT campus. Though the Road (or the street, officially known as) is narrow, 2 vehicles can easily squeeze through the road. Except for the Metro Tankers, this route is relatively traffic free!
It was really free in 2011-2012. Its no longer traffic free. Many cabs, autos, bikes and sometimes cars use this route these days. There are even MTC mini buses that ply this way. The last km of Kalikundram Road merging into SP Road is a frequent bottleneck (too many shops - trigger happy parking - death wish riding/driving, all happens on this narrow stretch)

Its best done on a bike in bone dry weather. With cars, denting probability is very high. During rains (including the slightest 30 min downpour) it can get waterlogged and is not really advisable. It also takes a while for the water to drain out.
Old 23rd June 2017, 15:33   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
It was really free in 2011-2012. Its no longer traffic free. Many cabs, autos, bikes and sometimes cars use this route these days. There are even MTC mini buses that ply this way. The last km of Kalikundram Road merging into SP Road is a frequent bottleneck (too many shops - trigger happy parking - death wish riding/driving, all happens on this narrow stretch)

Its best done on a bike in bone dry weather. With cars, denting probability is very high. During rains (including the slightest 30 min downpour) it can get waterlogged and is not really advisable. It also takes a while for the water to drain out.
Truest me, I have been taking this route for my return journey towards Sardar Patel Road regularly for the past almost one year now without much of traffic or other issues! And I drive a sedan! While MTC mini buses and water tanks are real bottlenecks on this route, they are not frequent.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:56   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

I have no other go other than using OMR as my destination (Nelson manickam road) can only be reached by crossing tidel park.
I seldom take the ECR as I have to face the never ending traffic on LB road. I choose madhya Kailash and I make sure I slip in through the center lane(no one ever maintains lane there, I just ensure im in the middle &#128514 so that I can easily get into the flow of traffic on the main road. Tidel park & SRP tools junctions too have to be tackled with knack as people turning right will stay in the middle and the ones merging from left will cut across and turn right during which I'll let the Hella Supertones do the talking if someone gets too close for comfort.

It takes me about 40mins to 1hour to get home by covering a distance of 15.7kms, with a record of 2.5hours when it rained this week.
Fastest has been 35mins, when I had all greens & fairly less slow moving traffic.

Last edited by saadat1992 : 23rd June 2017 at 18:58.
Old 27th June 2017, 12:02   #2880
BHPian

The long awaited Porur bridge has been officially open to public last Sunday 25th after a small trial a week back by public themselves due to heavy traffic in rain.

Hope it reduces the traffic and the wait time in that junction. Images below

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img20170625wa0018.jpg
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img20170625wa0019.jpg
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img20170625wa0020.jpg
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img20170625wa0021.jpg

Its a bumpy ride over the bridge!! Check out the white line for the road level.
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks