Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2018, 18:47   #3061
Team-BHP Support

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Yes. It is the Adyar outlet. What I found interesting is that no one argued with the cops. They simply handed over their credit cards.

Expect for one guy who saw them, swiftly took a u turn, cut into the opposite lane and disappeared.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 18:55   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Yes. It is the Adyar outlet. What I found interesting is that no one argued with the cops. They simply handed over their credit cards.

Expect for one guy who saw them, swiftly took a u turn, cut into the opposite lane and disappeared.
For a petty amount of Rs 100 is it worth arguing with cops? You will simply make them look for additional reasons to challan you (eg original papers not available with you, sunfilm on your windshield etc).
Old 11th July 2018, 09:45   #3063
Senior - BHPian

Saw this notice yesterday near the toll. Couple of questions

1. How are they going to find out that the zero ticket has not crossed the other toll plaza?
2. Suppose I stay in thoraipakkam and do not have a resident pass for whatever reason, then currently what I would do is to ask for a single ticket when I exit out of either ecr or the other free toll. Does this notice mean that they will now charge me 50 for this? Atrocious if true. I think a lot of people are going to or rather should fight this.
3. They take 3 weeks to repair one of the tolls but notice boards like this and the one which indicates the higher toll rates comes up immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
They should be able to find it if they make an entry in the database with the vehicle number but then it will be a cumbersome exercise. For every single ticket request they have to do a check in their system to identify if zero toll ticket was provided to the same vehicle on the same day. Don't see any toll operator taking this extra effort and the vehicle driver can always argue he did not take the zero toll receipt

Toll fee on OMR is day light robbery for the pathetic services offered on that road and the pathetic condition of the road as well.
What I suppose they will do is, if we exit one of the free toll plaza (on the link roads), without a slip, they will assume that we have not crossed the other free toll plaza and charge for return as well!! I saw a member post about this last week but am not able to see it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_20180710_180318.jpg  

Last edited by arvind71181 : 11th July 2018 at 10:09.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:03   #3064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
1. How are they going to find out that the zero ticket has not crossed the other toll plaza?
They should be able to find it if they make an entry in the database with the vehicle number but then it will be a cumbersome exercise. For every single ticket request they have to do a check in their system to identify if zero toll ticket was provided to the same vehicle on the same day. Don't see any toll operator taking this extra effort and the vehicle driver can always argue he did not take the zero toll receipt

Toll fee on OMR is day light robbery for the pathetic services offered on that road and the pathetic condition of the road as well.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:14   #3065
BHPian

Quote:

2. Suppose I stay in thoraipakkam and do not have a resident pass for whatever reason, then currently what I would do is to ask for a single ticket when I exit out of either ecr or the other free toll. Does this notice mean that they will now charge me 50 for this? Atrocious if true. I think a lot of people are going to or rather should fight this.
3. They take 3 weeks to repair one of the tolls but notice boards like this and the one which indicates the higher toll rates comes up immediately.

What I suppose they will do is, if we exit one of the free toll plaza (on the link roads), without a slip, they will assume that we have not crossed the other free toll plaza and charge for return as well!! I saw a member post about this last week but am not able to see it now.
Considering these tolls are now well within the limits of the greater Chennai city limits, where there is high density daily commute, these tolls should be removed. The quality of the road and drive is nothing to write home about to justify any tolls.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 20:04   #3066
BHPian

Quote:
Quite surprising, if I had to drop someone off at sholinganallur signal, I would get the zero toll and come back to the same toll within the stipulated time, 20 min I guess. Even the attendants were ok with that and never used to charge me. Only when I exceed the time limit they ask me for pay for the single journey.

As per the notice I cannot do this anymore. Now I have to pay for a single journey instead of getting a zero toll receipt.

I believe that TN has the most number of tolled roads among the south Indian states and the government is planning to increase it further. We are already paying around Re 1 per km as toll charges for interstate travels.

It’s high time the concerned authorities took an audit of these tolls around Chennai and start closing down at least the ECR, OMR, Chengalpattu and Vanagaram toll booths. All these are causing major traffic snarls during peak hours.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 20:46   #3067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post

It’s high time the concerned authorities took an audit of these tolls around Chennai and start closing down at least the ECR, OMR, Chengalpattu and Vanagaram toll booths. All these are causing major traffic snarls during peak hours.
TNRDC is pretty greedy and useless. It's going to be a tough ask to get them remove the tolls. I would even expect NHAI to remove the toll on roads near Chennai but not TNRDC.

They are planning to even toll ORR which was envisioned and built as a toll-free road. Recently heard that they have invited tenders to build toll plazas on ORR which had no provision for one before during construction. Apparently the road will be tolled once the connections in Vandalur and Nemilicherry to Minjur are completed.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 11th July 2018 at 20:51. Reason: Changed TNRDA to TNRDC
Old 11th July 2018, 22:01   #3068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
They are planning to even toll ORR which was envisioned and built as a toll-free road.
True that. At this rate there would soon be a toll at the entrance of the street that I live in.

Government has awarded the tender to widen Vikravandi – Kumbakonam – Thanjavur section of NH-45C into 4 lanes. There too they plan to collect tolls. The worst part here is that this road begins right after the Vikravandi toll plaza.

This, if you ask me, is day light robbery. If they had set up the toll plaza further down the road by 100-200 m, people travelling towards Panruti, Thanjavur etc would have avoided this plaza and would not have to pay tolls. Looking at its placement, I feel this was done to increase collections.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 22:29   #3069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
This, if you ask me, is day light robbery.
Toll tenders are in a way the perfect mode to do so. Worst part - they don't end when they should have to; some of the most (ab)used tolled highways have gone past the timelines after when they are supposed to be handed over to the NHAI; but the operators continue to collect tolls.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 09:19   #3070
Senior - BHPian

Crazy situation going on near Hindu School in Indira Nagar, Adyar .. some petty politician was dropping his kids at school when a gang came in an auto without number plates, knifed him and sped off. The place is full of cops and party activists besides curious onlookers.

Just outside my flat more or less.

Last edited by hserus : 12th July 2018 at 09:24.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 13:30   #3071
BHPian

I travelled on the bazulla Road - North Usman Road flyover in T Nagar. Pleasantly surprised to see that the police have put up barricades that act as a divider for the entire stretch of the flyover. This has out a stop to all the bikers and autos who used to brazenly drive on the wrong side of the flyover to avoid travelling an extra 200 mtrs.
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 13:46   #3072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
I travelled on the bazulla Road - North Usman Road flyover in T Nagar. Pleasantly surprised to see that the police have put up barricades that act as a divider for the entire stretch of the flyover. This has out a stop to all the bikers and autos who used to brazenly drive on the wrong side of the flyover to avoid travelling an extra 200 mtrs.
This was long overdue. Finally better sense has prevailed. I sincerely hope it lasts and the barricades aren't moved to squeeze themselves through.

I have had many a scare on that flyover with traffic coming on the wrong side. They were not visible till the last moment around the blind curves. They also added to traffic jams in the flyover
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 15:20   #3073
BHPian

Apologies for the back to back posts. I did wait for a day.

This picture shows how traffic jams are "created". Despite there being bans on banners / posters, flags on medians, let alone a dias on the road, these were entirely disregarded.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dias-road.png  

Old 13th July 2018, 15:24   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Apologies for the back to back posts. I did wait for a day.

This picture shows how traffic jams are "created". Despite there being bans on banners / posters, flags on medians, let alone a dias on the road, these were entirely disregarded.
Near my place, the Periyapalam Amman temple opposite the Adyar bus depot routinely erects pandals on what is already a narrow and congested road whenever there is a festival. And then blasts loud music till late at night. Utter nuisance.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 11:24   #3075
Distinguished - BHPian

The great toll robbery unfolds on the OMR. I purchased a 1-way toll (costing Rs.27) this morning and handed them Rs.30. They handed me back a 2 Rupee coin and said they didn't have 1 Rupee in change. What do we do but move on? A Rupee at a time (or more) fleeced from many road users equals...?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks