Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2022, 11:52   #3391
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

You forgot to mention the new gen squids who ride R15, KTM, 200NS, 220 etc especially with some cancerous modifications like an elephant fart exhaust. These kids have no sense of rules and cause havoc by unnecessarily flipping their bikes left and right while overtaking.
Natural selection is doing its course but still a long way to go.
sac23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 12:06   #3392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
The Chennai - Trichy traffic is routed through the oncoming highway (bridge) and there is no disruption.

Yes. the bridge is weak and there is a police check post. Two-wheelers, Cars are allowed whereas heavy vehicles are not allowed.
Thank you. Just reached Trichy. No disruption on the way
ns94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 21:33   #3393
BHPian

Hello All,
Need suggestions for route from Karur to Chennai destination at T. Nagar. I understand there are no issues exiting chennai and diversion is for return route. Even in today's news they have been mentioning about 2-5 hours delays on the return route to chennai due to Palar bridge.

Normally I would have preferred Karur->Trichy->Chennai. Now if I have to avoid Palar bridge at mamandur what is a good route
  1. Via Salem : Either Karur - Salem - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai (4/6 lane all way), or Karur - Salem - Harur- Thirupathur - Vellore - Chennai (Shorter route)
  2. Via ECR : Take route to ECR diversion at Thindivanam, Marakkanam ECR
  3. Last option is via Diversion announced by Government : It takes detour just before the bridge, but traffic is unpredictable.

Would welcome suggestions on this.
Old 21st February 2022, 22:16   #3394
Team-BHP Support

Couple of friends were returning from Gingee Fort visit yesterday and got stuck at the Palar Bridge works for 4 hours in the evening during the return leg. Looks like he missed the update + screenshots from this very thread I had shared in our office WhatsApp group.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st February 2022 at 22:20.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 22:19   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Hello All,
Need suggestions for route from Karur to Chennai destination at T. Nagar. I understand there are no issues exiting chennai and diversion is for return route. Even in today's news they have been mentioning about 2-5 hours delays on the return route to chennai due to Palar bridge.

Normally I would have preferred Karur->Trichy->Chennai. Now if I have to avoid Palar bridge at mamandur what is a good route
  1. Via Salem : Either Karur - Salem - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai (4/6 lane all way), or Karur - Salem - Harur- Thirupathur - Vellore - Chennai (Shorter route)
  2. Via ECR : Take route to ECR diversion at Thindivanam, Marakkanam ECR
  3. Last option is via Diversion announced by Government : It takes detour just before the bridge, but traffic is unpredictable.

Would welcome suggestions on this.
My preference would be option 2. First option will be too long and may end up having the same time as last option (difference being instead of struck in traffic you may be moving).

Since you need to go to T.Nagar, for first option, you need to enter via Mount-Poonamallee road and will be hit with the metro construction before Porur. Or you need to take Poonamallee High road which was not in great shape last I went. From OMR, I generally go to T.Nagar via Kotturpuram which works better.

All these depends on the day and time of the travel though. Last Sunday evening, I saw quite a bit of vehicles in ECR towards Chennai which created a mini Jam near Kovalam junction.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 22:23   #3396
BHPian

Hi all,
I would be travelling to Chennai in the first week of March as I need to drop my sister to Vellore. We will be taking a flight from Hyd-Chennai and I need suggestions on how to get to Vellore from the Chennai airport.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd February 2022 at 02:16. Reason: Please capitalise names. Thanks.
Old 21st February 2022, 22:45   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Hi all,
I would be travelling to Chennai in the first week of March as I need to drop my sister to Vellore. We will be taking a flight from Hyd-Chennai and I need suggestions on how to get to Vellore from the Chennai airport.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
It's a straightforward route as below. You might face a bit of traffic around Tambaram but once you cross Tambaram this is straightforward.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chen...12.9165167!3e0

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd February 2022 at 02:17. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd February 2022, 19:28   #3398
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need suggestions for route from Karur to Chennai destination at T. Nagar.
If you are familiar with NH 45 & east of NH 45, try Madhuranthakam - Karunkuzhi - Thirukalukundram - OMR - Madhyakailash - T Nagar. Plan a daytime trip.

KRR - Salem - Vellore - Sriperumpudur will be a much faster route definitely till you hit Poonamallee. As mentioned by Ravi, Metro work will delay your last leg, but if you time your last leg journey after 9 PM or before 7 AM things will be normal ( I crossed this leg today). If you are sure about Harur - Oothangarai road condition then proceed, else NH will be better and quicker.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:00   #3399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karur to Chennai destination at T. Nagar
1. Karur-Namakkal-Krishnagiri-Sriperumbudur-Koyambedu-Ashok Nagar-CIT Nagar.
2. Karur-Kulithalai-Musiri-Number 1 Tollgate-Sothupakkam-Cheyyur-ECR-Tiruvanmiyur-Tidel-Kotturpuram. For the moment Tidel-Madhya Kailas is tolerable over LB Road.
3. Karur-Namakkal-Krishnagiri-Sriperumbudur-Oragadam-Vandalur-GST-T.Nagar. This would depend on timings you get to Vandalur

A colleague living in Manapakkam mentioned there is metro work started close to Trade Center, so its going to be "awesome" and you can write-off the Kundrathur route for some years.

Am not suggesting Mudichur-Tamabaram either, due to the "beautiful" 25 speed breakers plus stupid riding/driving.

Whatever you do, don't take Kundrathur-Tirumudivakkam-Pallavaram. The amount of traffic on Tirumudivakkam-Pallavaram stretch will make you want to book an appointment with the shrink.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:17   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
My preference would be option 2.
Thank you - reasoning makes perfect sense. If the alternate route takes very long rather go through shortest route with some traffic around deviation.

Quote:
As mentioned by Ravi, Metro work will delay your last leg, but if you time your last leg journey after 9 PM or before 7 AM things will be normal ( I crossed this leg today). If you are sure about Harur - Oothangarai road condition then proceed, else NH will be better and quicker.
Agree on this - which ever route you enter the city we have bottlenecks ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
2. Karur-Kulithalai-Musiri-Number 1 Tollgate-Sothupakkam-Cheyyur-ECR-Tiruvanmiyur-Tidel-Kotturpuram. For the moment Tidel-Madhya Kailas is tolerable over LB Road.
Thanks for detailing the routes - Option 2 looks like a good option and minimum deviation compared to original route. I would prefer this one.
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:44   #3401
RGK
Senior - BHPian

The bridge work is going to be completed tomorrow and the highway will be open for traffic from Thursday midnight. The repair work started on 7th Feb.

Last edited by RGK : 23rd February 2022 at 22:47.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 14:31   #3402
BHPian

Quote:
The bridge work is going to be completed tomorrow and the highway will be open for traffic from Thursday midnight. The repair work started on 7th Feb.
As per this new item, the work on 1st bridge is completed and traffic is routed via the bridge and second bridge is taken up for repairs now. So the diversion will continue for some more time.

Only thing heartening to note is, it took just 15 days instead of 45 days as announced earlier.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/89781950.cms
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 15:51   #3403
Senior - BHPian

^^ Does that mean vehicles going towards Tindivanam can't take the bridge and have to take a diversion now?
Old 24th February 2022, 16:23   #3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Does that mean vehicles going towards Tindivanam can't take the bridge and have to take a diversion now?
Looks likely that would be the case. I have a travel over this weekend too and I live in Chitlapakkam (closer to your place)
Old 24th February 2022, 16:25   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you - reasoning makes perfect sense. If the alternate route takes very long rather go through shortest route with some traffic around deviation.

Agree on this - which ever route you enter the city we have bottlenecks ready

Thanks for detailing the routes - Option 2 looks like a good option and minimum deviation compared to original route. I would prefer this one.
I drove from Trichy this Sunday via Madurantakam - Karunguzhi - Tirukazhukundram - Mahabalipuram - Thiruvanmiyur (destination)

Fairly decent surface for 99 percent of the route except for a low level bridge and a railway crossing
ns94 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed