Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 13:43   #3436
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Huge accident on 200ft road about a km away from Velachery bridge. Whatever vehicle it is, has shooted 100 meters off the road.

Was a sorry sight, could hardly identify what vehicle it was, didn't look much more than a metal pile from that distance. I doubt there were any survivors.
Oh God! Are you referring to the Pallavaram Thoraipakkam road, narayans80? Was it somewhere near Kamakshi Hospital? I travelled on the Pallikaranai flyover about 15 minutes ago and did not notice any traffic pile up under the flyover.
Old 10th March 2022, 13:53   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Towards which direction? How is the traffic there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
Oh God! Are you referring to the Pallavaram Thoraipakkam road, narayans80? Was it somewhere near Kamakshi Hospital? I travelled on the Pallikaranai flyover about 15 minutes ago and did not notice any traffic pile up under the flyover.
Yes Pallavaram Thoraipakkam road, towards THoraipakkam. This was about 750 am this morning. This is not under the flyover, it was about a km or 2 from Velachery flyover towards toll.

I crossed when the accident just happened, probably less than 5 min. Lot of parked vehicles. I wriggled out in 2 mins.

No debris on the road, the vehicle remains itself was 100 meters to the left
Old 10th March 2022, 15:07   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Pallavaram Thoraipakkam road, towards THoraipakkam. This was about 750 am this morning. This is not under the flyover, it was about a km or 2 from Velachery flyover towards toll.

I crossed when the accident just happened, probably less than 5 min. Lot of parked vehicles. I wriggled out in 2 mins.

I happened to cross the same spot today morning after the accident had occurred. The Car itself had turned turtle and was in the ditch full of water.
Madrasin_selvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 17:31   #3439
BHPian

Quote:

Oh! I hope the car did not fall into the main marshland. That would have been pretty bad.
Old 11th March 2022, 11:04   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrasin_selvan View Post
I happened to cross the same spot today morning after the accident had occurred. The Car itself had turned turtle and was in the ditch full of water.
Shocking part is how did he land that far
---
New Shell outlet coming up on Potheri-Guduvancherry on the Madras bound side. It is yet to be opened for operation. From the outside, major work seems to be done.
Old 13th March 2022, 17:28   #3441
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I'll be travelling from Mannargudi to Tambaram and gmaps show a right after Karunguzhi, Takeright in Melvalampettai-Thirukazhukundram road> Cross railway crossing> Cross Palar through Vallipuram bridge>PVkalathur>ChengalpetBusStand and then joins GST Road at Chengalpet byepass
Came through the diverted route of Meiyur, Salavakkam bridge to join Kancheepuram - Chengalpet road. Took 30min to join GST road. Here are some factors for the lean traffic:
1) Mid of week, Sat and non ausipicious (Muhurth) days
2) Afternoon time (Night to Early mrng seems spike in traffic)
3) One by one follow (strict no.overtaking)

Last edited by Wheels : 13th March 2022 at 17:28. Reason: Spell correction
Old 13th March 2022, 18:13   #3442
Distinguished - BHPian

Good News!

Palar bridge repair to be completed by March 18 (The Hindu)

(And today my wife told me how to say "Palar!" She didn't even recognise my version.)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th March 2022 at 18:15.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 08:46   #3443
BHPian

Did srirangam chennai yesterday. Palar traffic seems managed quite well by cops. All types of south bound vehicles and chennai bound LMV are allowed in a single file on the old bridge. Crossed at around 7 pm. There was pile up much before palar as cops were diverting heavy vehicles. Took about 15 mins to cross palar. During night time one needs to be careful because oncoming vehicles are very close to you and many brilliant minds use their high beam. Kudos to cops for good Job. Hats off to NHAI for not doing this work during lockdown and leaving it to cops to manage traffic.
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:01   #3444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Did srirangam chennai yesterday. Palar traffic seems managed quite well by cops. All types of south bound vehicles and chennai bound LMV are allowed in a single file on the old bridge. Crossed at around 7 pm. There was pile up much before palar as cops were diverting heavy vehicles. Took about 15 mins to cross palar. During night time one needs to be careful because oncoming vehicles are very close to you and many brilliant minds use their high beam. Kudos to cops for good Job. Hats off to NHAI for not doing this work during lockdown and leaving it to cops to manage traffic.
This means there is no diversion for LMV in both directions, am I right? I read in Dinamalar yesterday that all heavy vehicles are diverted to use the Tindivanam - Marakkanam and ECR to enter Chennai and there was police personal deployed to enforce it.

Good that the bridge work itself is getting completed this week so will be good for family holiday/vacation travelers once schools are closed.
Old 14th March 2022, 11:09   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
This means there is no diversion for LMV in both directions, am I right? I read in Dinamalar yesterday that all heavy vehicles are diverted to use the Tindivanam - Marakkanam and ECR to enter Chennai and there was police personal deployed to enforce it.
Yes No diversion for LMV. Read in media that work will be completed by 18th March. We maybe we should plan for additional 1 hr and try exploring new routes. I wanted to try madurantakam thirukazhukundram mahabs route but it was too late and dark. After all we guys live to drive
prabhu7944 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:49   #3446
BHPian

I'm travelling to Chengalpattu from Thoraipakkam today evening and returning immediately. Is there a heavy traffic from Thiruporur to Chengalpattu route due to palar road work?
Old 14th March 2022, 12:41   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
I'm travelling to Chengalpattu from Thoraipakkam today evening and returning immediately. Is there a heavy traffic from Thiruporur to Chengalpattu route due to palar road work?
Take the Sholinganallur-Link Road-ECR-Mahabs bypass-Thirukazhukundram bypass-Chengalpattu. Roads are slightly wider too. This is anyday better than normal traffic in Padur-Kelambakkam, narrower Thiruporur-Chengalpattu. I remember there were broken roads at Thiruporur town too.

Palar bridge work has no bearing, there is increased traffic all over the place anyway.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 13:19   #3448
BHPian

Thanks a lot. Seems to be 10-15 kms extra. However considering the wide road and traffic, might be reasonable. But Thiruporur to Chengalpattu route is well laid and divided most of the enroute.
Old 14th March 2022, 19:12   #3449
BHPian

Had a very short trip to Chengalpattu and back to Thoraipakkam. Total travel time only 3.5 hours for the round trip. Fortunately escaped from Thiruporur and Kelambakkam evening traffic. Thiruporur to Chengalpattu stretch is clean and allmost zero traffic.
Jebs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 13:01   #3450
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a very young calf tottering around the Velachery-Tambaram main road. The poor little thing was practically walking right onto speeding vehicles in all its innocence. It took me a while to make up my mind to take a couple of U turns and come back to help it; I had no idea how I could possibly help! I went back because such sweet innocence stands no chance against the recklessness of humans.

By the time I got back, I saw that it had ambled into a street leading away from the main road and its mom was bellowing away on the main road, possibly in search. A flower seller was shooing it away from the lane in which the calf was roaming. I was able to interveme and tell her that the mom was searching for its calf and she shouldn't shoo it further away.

With that done, the mom walked right into the lane where its baby was and we shortly beheld the sweet sight of a puny calf scampering eagerly towards its mom. That's real love right there!

The larger question - why do we even allow dairy farmers to let their cattle roam around our streets in this manner?
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks