Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2022, 00:55   #3511
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm totally with you there. My traffic and small-space phobia is so bad that I haven't been North of T Nagar in the last 5 years (I live near Tambaram). And I never take my car out if it's a trip within the city these days; it has only spun its wheels on long trips or in the suburbs in the past few years.
95% of my driving is between Palavakkam and Mylapore.

I used to drive to the Parry's area when it was hard, but not impossible, to get a parking spot near the courts. I did, once or twice, take the car (then, my Swift) into the Parry's lanes themselves. Now I will not.

As it happens, I have, almost on my doorstep, a road which can be tough to walk, let alone drive, on, for most of the day. I have even had a bike run into the back of me when on foot! No harm done, it was very slow. But that's how the road is, and I usually take a slight detour to avoid it.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th August 2022 at 00:57.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 17:34   #3512
BHPian

Does anyone know what happened near Camp road junction(Medavakkam to Tambaram route) today morning? It took me nearly 1 and a half hours to drive from Sembakkam to Camp road and traffic was at a standstill near camp road junction for quite some time. I was supposed to drop my daughter at school at 8:45 AM today but after waiting till 10 AM took an u-turn at the camp road junction and came back.
darkfantasy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 09:19   #3513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfantasy View Post
Does anyone know what happened near Camp road junction(Medavakkam to Tambaram route) today morning?
Was this the sudden morning rain day? Several signals were not working allover the place. There was similar chaos on Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam 200 feet road as well.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 05:08   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Why has Adyar - Selaiyur routes been jam packed for the last two days?

Velachery road was blood red both days.
Old 9th September 2022, 10:21   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Velachery road was blood red both days.
If you are talking about Velachery-Tambaram, when has it not been red?

The only time I've taken it is 630 am or 230 pm (even that is when I see same ETA as I close in on Pallikaranai bridge). Every other trip is using 200 feet road.

Even from Vandalur side I take Vandalur-Mambakkam-Ponmar to reach Medavakkam than taking the Tambaram route.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:14   #3516
Distinguished - BHPian

The Velachery-Tambaram road, especially between the Madras Christian College and Camp Road junction, has damaged sections, dug up sides, encroachments due to be demolished and eating up lanes (especially close to A2B on either sides of the road)...

This stretch is always bad. It has been especially bad when it rains.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 21:52   #3517
BHPian

The route between Velachery Phoenix mall and Mount via Five-furlong road and Maduvankarai bridge is becoming a traffic nightmare these days. The corporation idiots have dug up Mount road just after the MKN road merging spot and the traffic is backed up for more than a kilometer. Took me 20-25mins to slowly inch across the 1km or so distance from the start of the bridge to the Mount road entrance point.

Here's the scary part. While on the bridge, near the topmost section, I could feel the car shaking minutely. I thought I was just imagining it but no! While the traffic is at stand still on the left lane, a steady stream of 2 wheelers, autos, and some idiotic 4 wheelers keep zipping on the wrong lane and I could feel the passing of such vehicles. I wonder if someone needs to remind the corporation to check the bridge's structural integrity.

Overall 1.5hrs to cover 17kms.
Old 13th September 2022, 22:25   #3518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The Velachery-Tambaram road, especially between the Madras Christian College and Camp Road junction, has damaged sections, dug up sides, encroachments due to be demolished and eating up lanes (especially close to A2B on either sides of the road)...

This stretch is always bad. It has been especially bad when it rains.
Added to that are two schools on each side of the road,
Sri Sankara and Christ King. Plus two government schools also. I sympathise the students who have to cross roads on each side to take MTC buses.

A foot over bridge is a must there.
Capri89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 21:49   #3519
BHPian

One arm of Perungalathur flyover is open (towards city) though work looks little bit unfinished. The other arm seems a long way to finish. Also, it seems Velachery flyover too is fully open today.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 21:58   #3520
BHPian

I moved to Chennai in July and my daily commute is on the OMR. L&T have started putting up Metro construction points going north from Sholinganallur crossing. So driving times have increased and likely to become worse.

Having moved from Delhi, I am in the process of the local driving culture. The bikes don’t care a damn, so you are always on tenterhooks! It is relatively draining even on short drives. At least on OMR, there is a good lane driving culture.

The Tucson landed scratch free after 15 days in multiple trucks. Bluelink showed its location when it was out of the container.

The roads in Chennai are truly smooth for most parts. Slightly rough where metro construction is ongoing.
xantia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 14:44   #3521
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm absolutely sympathetic to their situation, but can't help reflecting that the Swiggy bikers' strike will make our streets a little safer!
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:02   #3522
BHPian

Opening of the Tambaram bound flyover at the Vijayanagar Junction, Velachery has eased out driving at this junction. Now the infamous choc-a-block traffic has moved to the Kaiveli junction. Be prepared for the surprises.
The entire Tambaram Velachery stretch needs to be broadened at pallikaranai and Selaiyur. Encroachments are rampant and clearance are in hold with the courts order.

On a personal note, I feel there should be an order which bans all the stay orders from demolition on encroached upon lands.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:46   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm absolutely sympathetic to their situation, but can't help reflecting that the Swiggy bikers' strike will make our streets a little safer!
That explains why it kept showing all the restaurants as busy since yesterday and I was thinking that probably the number of delivery boys are less here compared to Bangalore.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 21:19   #3524
BHPian

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is not the exact thread for this query.

Can anyone suggest a good local cab service for a day's trip within Chennai (Other than Uber/Ola rentals) - one that would be preferable for a senior citizen couple.

Is Fastrack still good?

TIA
ns94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 21:41   #3525
Senior - BHPian

Known cabbie - Suresh who runs UK Travels Thiruvanmiyur, my family has used him for 20+ years

+91 93848 60411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Hi folks,

Apologies if this is not the exact thread for this query.

Can anyone suggest a good local cab service for a day's trip within Chennai (Other than Uber/Ola rentals) - one that would be preferable for a senior citizen couple.

Is Fastrack still good?

TIA
hserus is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks