Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 10:38   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Karthik - which road are you referring to? @Ampere will be taking NH4-Chennai-Byepass & get onto Porur signal which will be after SRMC (Sri Ramachandra Medical College, if I'm not wrong). I'm taking this route everyday & haven't found any major issues other than what I described above.
Yes ,the same road.i had been there last week.The road sides were in very pathetic condition (Full of mud and slush) from Rathna Cafe(Newly opened) till the Signal.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:52   #347
BHPian

Ladies Hostel Near Airport

My cousin is coming in from Mumbai - December and is looking for a ladies hostel near the airport. We searched on Google maps / Just dial and noted a few and started Sunday morning in search of these. All I can say is that Alandur/MKN Road/Medavakkam/Pazhavanthangal/Nanganallur is all so cramped up, dirty and lacks infrastructure big time. Better not to take her to those places. She will run away :( Now I am thinking not of hostels and not close to the airport. But go a little away from the airport to a better area and a flat in a good area. She is coming in from South Mumbai and after that a training in Gurgaon. Man, coming from those places I need to show her our best bet in Chennai! Maybe Anna Nagar, Adyar, Nungambakkam. Any suggestions for 4/5 spinsters in a flat in a good area? 20K maybe.

I was happy though with the flyover on the GST near Pallavaram to Thoraipakkam. Wow!
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-sundaymorningdrive.jpg  

Old 15th November 2010, 14:04   #348
Senior - BHPian

I've PMed you the contact number of a ladies hostel in Nungambakkam (My sis stays there).

Last edited by silversteed : 15th November 2010 at 14:05.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:45   #349
Senior - BHPian

There's a YWCA working women's hostel on OMR, near SRP tools - opposite Electra Automotive.

Saw this dual-cab truck with awesome road presence on Mount Road. It looked like a Tata Zenon, but debadged.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc02713.jpg

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc02714.jpg

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc02715.jpg
Not sure what the V stands for though. Just one word - awesome.

P.S.: The spare-wheel was huge - taking up most of the rear. :-)

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th November 2010 at 15:03.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:04   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The city is full of people who want to fill for Rs 50 & 100s (Rs 500 & 100 for cars), the only people who do a full tank are probably driving long (yet to see one two-wheeler for full tank).
I always do a full tank whether it is bike/car. Only times i fill less is if i am not near my favourite pump.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:25   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I always do a full tank whether it is bike/car. Only times i fill less is if i am not near my favourite pump.
Its the same here. Always a full tank. But mostly when it is at the quarter mark

Also, probably OT - The way the next in line person looks if you are doing a full tank on a car. If looks could kill
Old 15th November 2010, 17:20   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

I fill a full tank when the needle is below the E mark --- and I have been slightly nervous for the last couple of trips. The amount to full, though, against the tank capacity, tells me that there were still a few litres left, and a few litres takes a diesel quite a long way
Old 15th November 2010, 18:37   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The city is full of people who want to fill for Rs 50 & 100s (Rs 500 & 100 for cars), the only people who do a full tank are probably driving long (yet to see one two-wheeler for full tank).
Err...I guess I spoke too soon

Well, I meant to say, except TBhpians, ppl going through this forum or people who went through short fuelling tricks at fuel pumps, all the other people belong to the above category.

Fuel in the suburbs of Chennai (like on the way to Sriperumbudur) the fuel prices are cheaper by atleast 30-50 paise per litre, however, its expensive in the city & most expensive at places like Thoppur. Has anyone noticed this?

Last edited by aargee : 15th November 2010 at 18:39.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:06   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel in the suburbs of Chennai (like on the way to Sriperumbudur) the fuel prices are cheaper by atleast 30-50 paise per litre, however, its expensive in the city & most expensive at places like Thoppur. Has anyone noticed this?
We have two suburbs - Chengalpet and Kancheepuram. May be prices differ in these two districts??
Old 15th November 2010, 21:17   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that so? I have not noticed. Any way there is no Shell pump within the city, and it is a long time since I filled petrol from PSU pumps.

If what you say is correct, fuel from Kathipara onwards should be cheaper, because it is located in Kanchipuram district!

I know, I know, the city limit has been recently extended to Meenambakkam, but that will take effect only after the term of the local bodies - Alandur Municipality in this case - expires!
Old 15th November 2010, 21:43   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is that so? I have not noticed...bodies - Alandur Municipality in this case - expires!
Sir, last time (Nov 5th weekend) I filled at IOL at NH4, the price was around 56.6ish while the fuel price in Chennai city was around 57.xish; its one of the biggest & spacious IOL pump after Thirumazhisai. May be around 8-10 Kms from Saveetha Dental College bridge.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:33   #357
BHPian

Cheated at the toll plaza

Had a disappointing experiance today. I was entering OMR from the Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam radial road to go to work. At the toll booth, I gave him a Rs.100 note and was provided the ticket and change in return. As it was rush hour and a huge line was there behind me I just took it and left. However on counting the change provided after reachig the office, I realized that he had provided me with Rs.10 less . Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 17th November 2010, 14:34   #358
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Has not happened to me till date. But will take care henceforth.

Regarding petrol prices, was at Pondy last Saturday and it was Rs6 and change lesser than at Chennai. Tank was close to empty and a full-tank took in 48 litres of petrol.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:45   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Had a disappointing experiance today. I was entering OMR from the Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam radial road to go to work. At the toll booth, I gave him a Rs.100 note and was provided the ticket and change in return. As it was rush hour and a huge line was there behind me I just took it and left. However on counting the change provided after reachig the office, I realized that he had provided me with Rs.10 less . Has this happened to anyone else?
Unfair to say that he cheated you.The same way you were in a hurry cause of rush hour, he could have returned the change in a hurry.
Always important to check your change before moving. Thats why they have that sign saying "please tender exact change", though this rarely is the case, since you cant always provide exact change to them.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:01   #360
Senior - BHPian

The reason why there is a price difference between Chennai & the suburbs is because the pumps in Chennai dipense Euro 4 fuel while the ones in suburbs dispense Euro 3 fuel. Apart from this I don't see any reason for the price differential.

Most Viewed