Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 17:25   #376
Senior - BHPian

I'm wondering why such such incidents aren't reported on other cities or does these things happen only in Chennai?

Aren't these common in other cities too or anything special only with Chennai? I'm tired hearing these rants as if they're only happening here

I'll be using this thread going forward to post something positive happening rather than these common things.
Old 19th November 2010, 14:34   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I like the system being imposed in delhi, where auto's are given a smart card which also tracks traffic violations. 10000 auto's were taken off the roads because they didnt comply with the smart card rule .

Wow. that should be implemented everywhere... By the way auto's mean automobile or the 3 wheelers? Smartcard should be given to all automobiles.
Old 19th November 2010, 15:47   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
I'm wondering why such such incidents aren't reported on other cities or does these things happen only in Chennai? Aren't these common in other cities too or anything special only with Chennai? I'm tired hearing these rants as if they're only happening here
Must be happening in other cities too, but since this thread is about Chennai, the Chennai-related stuff is reported here. I dont think anyone says/feels this is only about Chennai - not sure why you get that perception.

I crossed the IT corridor some minutes after the said accident happened. I could see a person (biker) lying near the median totally bloodied and could guess what would have happened. People & cops were standing nearby doing nothing, which surprised me as I thought the guy should be getting medical attention. Then I saw an Ambulance coming on the service road and felt good that medical attention was quick in reaching. So there is a good side to this too.

And for those blaming pedestrians, you should see the bikers using that road. It's very common to see 3 bikers bang in the centre of each of the 3 lanes and chugging away at 40kmph, without giving way to anyone. While riding my bike, I stick to the left-most lane since I am scared to venture on the hi-speed lanes where cars zip by. Not sure how these people are able to nonchalantly bike on the lanes without any worry.

Have many-a-time thought of stopping some of the lady-bikers and telling them that it is dangerous, because like Thad said, maybe they are just ignorant of the law/danger. But then how many bikers can you preach to ? There are way too many riding the wrong way.
Old 19th November 2010, 17:59   #379
Senior - BHPian

@Supreme - My point is simple, there's no point ranting here unless something is constructively done, or rather live with the system as such. Trying to be a little different or yielding to the system is left to individuals.

Everything is going to get repeated right from cheated at toll, bikers riding with 2 pillions, pedestrians walking on road, jay walkers, jay riders, lane hoggers, riding/driving in wrong way, bypassers witnessing accidents on road, cops accepting bribe to let go off people, drunkards, over speeding, dangerous driving, following ambulance, road rage & what not? Is there anything different? Cyclists blaming two-wheelers, two-wheelers blaming cars, cars blaming buses has been our long tradition. What's the point unless its just for venting out the frustration.

But again, isn't there atleast one positive scenario that can be noticed? Unless we start noticing positive aspects, we keep spreading the negatives that we see around. Anybody, I mean, just anybody, can point out all the possible issues on the road, but anything constructive? I'm sure not many people can notice.

I decided to be the change that I want to see long back, I'd like to change, I'd like to see positive things so that I can spread the positve energy around.
Old 19th November 2010, 18:48   #380
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Everything is going to get repeated right from cheated at toll, bikers riding with 2 pillions, pedestrians walking on road, jay walkers, jay riders, lane hoggers, riding/driving in wrong way, bypassers witnessing accidents on road, cops accepting bribe to let go off people, drunkards, over speeding, dangerous driving, following ambulance, road rage & what not? Is there anything different? Cyclists blaming two-wheelers, two-wheelers blaming cars, cars blaming buses has been our long tradition.
Are you sure this is a thread on chennai? Sounds like Pune. Only thing missing here is the giant scorpios and safaris and innovas which carry party flags and number plates who bull doze any and everything.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:25   #381
Senior - BHPian

Was waiting at the Anna University signal some time back on my bike. There was a car guy in front of me and another bike guy next to me. I notice that the car guy is coming back slowly and honk to alert him of the same. No use - the car comes and slightly nudges my bike.

Now there is absolutely no harm done as it was almost at zero speed. But what happened next took me by surprise. The car guy looks back and asks "why did you come and hit my car?". I and the bike guy next to me were like . The signal turned green so before anything else could happen, we all were on our way. What a day
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:33   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe the guy really didn't realise he was moving back! Idiot.

I notice that auto drives get a lot of flack, but I have been thinking that they do not deserve much of it. They may do some crazy stuff, get in the way, be in the wrong place, but they are very sharp, and mostly, unlike many of the bikers out there (sorry, arvind, embarrassing to be following a biker's post with this!) they do not expect other road users to take responsibility for keeping them alive.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:02   #383
Senior - BHPian

Thad - True to an extent.

I have also seen people queue right behind each other's cars on an incline. Now how stupid can one get? It is obvious that the guy is going to have to come back an inch or so and when he sees the other vehicle, it increases pressure on him to perform , thus probably stalling the vehicle.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:31   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, generally people seem to think that "bumper-to-bumper" should mean just that. Even on the flat, what happens when the car in front breaks down? I try to leave enough space in front to steer around that vehicle if the need arises. It is amazing how often that space comes in useful.

Of course, in the case of someone falling back onto you, it would just means that that vehicle gets the chance to build up a bit more speed. It's a hard world!
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:01   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I have also seen people queue right behind each other's cars on an incline. Now how stupid can one get? It is obvious that the guy is going to have to come back an inch or so and when he sees the other vehicle, it increases pressure on him to perform , thus probably stalling the vehicle.
I thought Thad would react differently to your above post. The car rolling in front of me should not happen in the first place if people are evaluated for license as it happens in UK ( I failed once due to handbrake not engaging properly). So giving a bit of space during incline qualifies for defensive driving not stupidity for failure to do so. But if the person honks madly after the vehicle in front stalls then yes I agree with you on calling him stupid.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:15   #386
BHPian

IMHO Chennai has relatively better infrastructure and the worst enforcement of traffic rules among all the cities that i have driven in. I work for a company in mcity and used to commute daily by bus from mcity to tambaram and then shareauto till camproad. Many a time i have seen police guys take bribe of even 25-35 rs from these autowallahs . Most of these shareautos are extremely old and shouldn't be plying on roads like GST but who cares? Half the vehicles/animals on the GST should not be there on fast highway like GST. The Huge trailer which go thru this road has no lane discipline at all and is a nuisance especially during rush hour. All in all a very depressing place to live in and drive. Feel sorry for the chennaites especially all those who work in mcity.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:19   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

How my father taught my mother to do hill starts: he put something she liked very much just behind the wheel! Long after she passed her test, he admitted that he had only pretended to --- but the strategy worked!

Errr... noit very relevant to life in Chennai, I'm afraid. <Blush>.

Anyway, who among us can actually claim never to have dropped back a few inches?

What I hate is when, on very rough roads, the car fails to make it over a bump, and one has to purposely drop back to try again --- but, of course, there are at least seventeen bikers with their noses glued to the rear glass, refusing to understand the situation

Quote:
Feel sorry for the chennaites
I feel sorry for those who have to drive every day. I especially feel sorry for those who have to do it all day for a living. You may think I'm rude about bikers, but that is nothing to how I feel about a lot of taxi wallahs and bus drivers! Yet... no way would I want their job, not even for one day.

There are some days that I really enjoy driving here. Only having to do it when I choose leaves me relatively free to do that. I had to calm down a lot, and learn to stop trying to fight with everyone, and I still hate the tailgaters (especially at 60Kph on the OMR ) but mostly I try to remember that it is better to have a bad driver way ahead of you than just behind.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd November 2010 at 23:28.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:25   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Was waiting at the Anna University ...we all were on our way. What a day
Well, I would say, the fault is with the person who's standing very close to the vehicle in the front, why not leave adequate gap? If there's some two-wheeler squeezing in the gap, let him take the beating. I've had only one such experience & I learned from it & I never stand close to ANY vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anyway, who among us can actually claim never to have dropped back a few inches?
Thad sir - count me in, I can vouch, unless the parking brakes are conked off; My left hand automatically engages the parking brake when my car is not in motion. Be it signal or parking, when my car stop, I need to make a concious effort not to apply the parking brakes!!!
Old 24th November 2010, 09:25   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent. Even better that you do not hold the car on the clutch on a slope!

I do for longer stops, eg at signals. Comes under the heading of relax! (Like it used to say on the red signal!)
Old 24th November 2010, 09:46   #390
Senior - BHPian

Thad sir, count me in too.

@aargee, I do exactly what you described. And when I'm at signals, I depress the brake pedal lightly so that the drivers behind will see the brake light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks