Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 12:26   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
However, I guess that falling levels of mutual trust there eventually took their toll on me too.
Very true Thad. I have given lifts on the highways a couple of times to strangers, though considering today's world it would seem risky. But as somebody who has even taken lift from trucks on the highways I feel sometimes you have to give as well rather than take always.

Once I gave lift to the Forest Ranger of Moolehole range, Bandipur who was on his way back to Mysore. It was a good two hours of chit chat on wildlife, conservation, migration etc. He shared with me pictures of the tiger & leopard skins they had seized a few days back. The journey finally ended with an offer from him to visit the Moolehole range which is part of the core aread of the Bandipur reserve & out of bounds for everyone else except the forest department staff. I did not take up the offer though.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:11   #542
Team-BHP Support

Folks,

How is the situation on Porur road fly-over construction?
Some time back when I checked, this was the still best way to hit Kathipara from Poonamalle, inspite of all the construction.

Is it still the best; or there are any alternatives?
Old 30th December 2010, 10:32   #543
Senior - BHPian

Last week it took me more than 15 minutes to cross the Jn. on Friday evening. I was taking a right from Arcot road towards Poonamallee side I think the situation is not as good as it used to be though I might be wrong as well since I don't visit that part of Chennai often.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:30   #544
BHPian

I believe there are no alternative for bye passing it. The problem is compounded by MTC buses stopping to pickup passengers immediately after crossing the junction on the Mount Poonamalee road towards SRMC. All we can do is avoid it during peak hours.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:56   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks,

How is the situation on Porur road fly-over construction?
Some time back when I checked, this was the still best way to hit Kathipara from Poonamalle, inspite of all the construction.

Is it still the best; or there are any alternatives?

There are 2 alternatives

1. You can stay on NH 4 ( I presume you are driving down from Sriperembudur or closer). If its katupakkam that you're driving from you'll have to drive towards NH4. Once you're on NH 4 you can drive down to the Tambaram bye-pass & get into NH45 & onwards to Katipara - This of course is a longish diversion.

2. The second option is stay on NH 4 until you get to the newly opened interchange at the koyambedu junction and drive down IRR to get to Kathipara.

There is also a 3rd option. Just before the porur junction at the tambaram bye-pass that passes overhead right after ramachandra medical college, there is a service road that runs along side the bye-pass. This connects to NH4 again from where you can turn in & head towards the koyambedu interchange. Its a 3 - 4 min drive to join NH 4 from this spot on. The service road joins the bye pass after the toll booth so you don't have to worry about getting on & off. You'll have to do that to join NH 4 going towards the city.

If its a 15 minute wait at the porur junction then getting onto NH 4 would be the preferred option

Last edited by Mubeen : 30th December 2010 at 13:01.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:21   #546
BHPian

Ampere! If you are coming from poonamalee and are sure to hit the Porur junction at peak hour (read evening from 5:30 till 9 PM) you can try this.
1. Take a left just before the junction. This left is after crossing the Inner Ring Road. This is being used by all the MTC buses also now. Thee road is a concrete road which then turns right to Arcot Road.
2. Now once you reach Arcot Road you can again take a right to join the Mount-Poonamalee road after the junction.

The exact road to take right is not something I am sure of. But you can ask around.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:25   #547
Team-BHP Support

@Mubeen, @DWind,

I plan to come by NH4 via Poonamalle. And I plan to come on a weekend. More importantly is it that bad, that it needs a diversion?
If its 15 minutes extra, that would be still fine by me.
Old 5th January 2011, 00:48   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Mubeen, @DWind,

I plan to come by NH4 via Poonamalle. And I plan to come on a weekend. More importantly is it that bad, that it needs a diversion?
If its 15 minutes extra, that would be still fine by me.
On weekends it should not be a problem. From Poonamalle if your wait starts just after RMC then its better to do what DWind suggested.

If your wait starts nearer to the divider then you will breeze through within 15 minutes (normal signals and no politicians visiting )
Old 5th January 2011, 02:23   #549
Senior - BHPian

Was in Chennai couple weeks ago.

Uncle's house in one of the narrow lanes in Choolameedu. 10 am in the morning it took us 45 mins to get out of the house and make it 1/2 km to the road (perp to Poonamalee highroad) that leads to PVR mall. Worst traffic jam I've been in.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th January 2011 at 03:02.
Old 5th January 2011, 02:46   #550
BHPian

Choolameedu is full of narrow lines and its part of continuous building area in Chennai, You wont find any gap in between houses and its tightly packed.

NM road (road where PVR located) is always clogged starting from 8.00 AM to 9.00 PM. This is primarily due to small road which is heavily used by our public transport(read-bus, share auto) and its one of the main artery road to Nungambakkam.

Last edited by camchennai : 5th January 2011 at 02:51.
Old 5th January 2011, 04:22   #551
BHPian

@sterlingjames, I couldn't read 37 pages of this thread, but as soon as i read your first post eventhough it was posted 2yrs back, i couldnt stop myself and i was like ... LOL

Awesome Observation
Old 5th January 2011, 12:23   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Uncle's house in one of the narrow lanes in Choolameedu. 10 am in the morning it took us 45 mins to get out of the house and make it 1/2 km to the road (perp to Poonamalee highroad) that leads to PVR mall. Worst traffic jam I've been in.
Surely one of the most choked roads in Chennai. I should know since I stay at Choolaimedu. My workaround is to either be out of there between 8 - 8:30AM or leave late for work around 11-11:30AM.
BTW, evenings (6:30 - 8PM) the opposite lane is choked all the way from PVR to Loyola college and beyond.
Old 5th January 2011, 19:11   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Choolameedu is full of narrow lines and its part of continuous building area in Chennai, You wont find any gap in between houses and its tightly packed.

NM road (road where PVR located) is always clogged starting from 8.00 AM to 9.00 PM. This is primarily due to small road which is heavily used by our public transport(read-bus, share auto) and its one of the main artery road to Nungambakkam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Surely one of the most choked roads in Chennai. I should know since I stay at Choolaimedu. My workaround is to either be out of there between 8 - 8:30AM or leave late for work around 11-11:30AM.
BTW, evenings (6:30 - 8PM) the opposite lane is choked all the way from PVR to Loyola college and beyond.
The only solution I can think of is the make a string of one-ways like Bangalore has done. Routes will be a little longer during normal times but really helps keep traffic moving during rush hour. Bangalore would be much worse off without them (hard to imagine)

PS: Only saving grace was the absolutely wonderful weather otherwise I would have totally lost it.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th January 2011 at 19:13.
Old 5th January 2011, 19:18   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
PS: Only saving grace was the absolutely wonderful weather otherwise I would have totally lost it.
Someone complimenting Chennai for weather
December is THE best time to be at Chennai. Added bonus if you are a classics lover with all the music sabas to fill in
Old 5th January 2011, 20:23   #555
BHPian

Truly amazing and hilarous OP. I stay near Annanagar as well and travel to Sholinganallur, and have truly experienced most things you have said.

You have (or I have) missed another important menace.
The call center vehicles ( Indicabs, Qualis, Sumo, Qualis). They are the most dangerous entities on Chennai roads. They are the most reckless and agressive drivers you can find, it will be a suprise to see them actually waiting at a signal and not jumping it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks