Team-BHP - Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/68789-traffic-life-roads-chennai-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingjames (Post 1892279)
did you notice TN02 is missing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilead (Post 1892298)
TN 02 is Annanagar. Not sure why it's missing.

I had been hooked on this website for over a month and half when I bought my Civic to keep track of the running number in my area. I observed that while few RTOs were prompt in updating their numbers for the day, the others weren't. TN 02, the Anna Nagar RTO is one such RTO that does not update regularly. Maybe when checked tomorrow, it will show up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anachronix (Post 1892334)
In Chennai, I have always found the traffic to be relatively more disciplined compared to Bangalore. I lived in Bangalore for 5 years odd and I feel extremely comfortable driving in Chennai.

I tend to agree with this. In 24 years of riding, I have had 4 accidental falls from the bike. The first one happened at Tuiticorin in 1986. All the others took place at Bangalore between 2000 - 05.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyking (Post 1892427)
hehe!

What do you guys think of college buses?

Nobody wants to mess with them and the drivers really think they are the kings of the roads!
I happened to look at the speedo of my college bus the other day.. the guy was doing 110 on airport road. IN A BUS! :eek:

very true,spyking,
those guys are a murderous bunch a few months back 2 students of Jeppiar engg college on a bike died under the wheels of their own college bus just opp. my office in kandanchavadi. the bus was as usual at a breakneck speed and couldnt control when the 2 wheeler squeezed by.

So did everyone have fun driving through the rain today? I decided not to take the 100 feet road from Anna Nagar to Guindy today. Came through the route I usually take while returning which is Nungambakkam, Mount Road and Saidapet. 100 feet road turns into a river during rains. Things were peaceful until I hit the middle of the Kathipara flyover. We crawled around for a few minutes and I finally joined the section going towards Vadapalani when the cops started diverting the traffic torwards the Guindy side and I had just come from that side. :Frustrati

Went back all the way till the Sardar Patel Road U turn, went underneath Kathipara, took the Porur road, took the right and came up on the service road under Kathipara pointing towards Vadapalani.

I think it's going to be fun while returning. I am expecting New Avadi Road to have turned into a river by 9 or 10 pm.

I took my car instead of motorcycle & had fun driving in rains; pushed the car to limits until I could sense the car is floating in water. Learned something new today.

aargee, let me guess. You must be driving an Alto or a Zen right? I get that exact same floating feeling in water logged roads in my 800. :D All Maruti tin cans feel like that. The Fiesta on the other hand is solid. No other word for it. I could hardly hear even the raindrops on the roof whereas in my 800 its like a drums concert.

I read in the paper that Cyclone Laila is crossing near Ongole. Then why is it raining so much here. And I bet it's going to become obscenely hot and humid after it crosses. :(

It is sometimes quite painfull to have your car getting a mud wash during the rainy days. But there is no other option.

I like driving my car especially only if it is not raining. The problem with rainy days is everyday you clean your car and keep it neat the next day it becomes the same.

Waiting for the cyclone to pass by. :)

Heard about the traffic chaos on the 100 ft road and took a different route to get to Ashok Pillar.

From Golden flats took the Golden eagle bridge route and then went into the Koyambedu market road. This road is flooded till the junction of the road which goes to Virugambakkam. Small cars will have to be a little careful in this stretch.

On the Virugambakkam road just before chinmaya nagar there was some road blockage and people there forced me to take a detour to the right. Took it and joined back the road after chinmaya nagar. No traffic after this and No flooding till Avichi school.

From there took the KK nagar road. Big mistake. It was flooded till i joined joined back near KK bus depot. Saw many cars stuck in the water. Small cars can avoid this route unless it is abosolutely necessary.

Aranganathan subway is not flooded although there is water stagnation in the middle. If it continues to rain then there are chances of this subway being closed later.

@Mission - If you don't mind burning fuel a little more, take the Porur - Chennai Bye pass highway & you can enjoy the drive on good 6 lane highway & no worries on water stanganat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1894280)
@Mission - If you don't mind burning fuel a little more, take the Porur - Chennai Bye pass highway & you can enjoy the drive on good 6 lane highway & no worries on water stanganat.

Don't mind burning extra fuel but that route is too long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilead (Post 1894180)
Went back all the way till the Sardar Patel Road U turn, went underneath Kathipara, took the Porur road, took the right and came up on the service road under Kathipara pointing towards Vadapalani.

Was there any water logging from Guindy station till Kathipara - especially the road leading to airport? I have to take that route in a couple of hours and I have come by Alto today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1894280)

There will be flooding in Porur, but nothing that a Scorpio cant handle. And typically broken down lorries will be parked on highway adding to the risk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_Safari (Post 1894284)
Don't mind burning extra fuel but that route is too long.

If you want to avoid subways, you could try Ashok Pillar->Kodambakkam Bridge->Mahalingapuram->Sterling Road->Taylors Road->Anna Nagar route. It will be a nightmare during peak hours though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1894291)
Was there any water logging from Guindy station till Kathipara - especially the road leading to airport? I have to take that route in a couple of hours and I have come by Alto today!

That stretch is perfectly clear till Kathipara. Don't know the condition of the airport road beyond that. Lot of water logging just after Kathipara on the Vadapalani side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilead (Post 1894294)
If you want to avoid subways, you could try Ashok Pillar->Kodambakkam Bridge->Mahalingapuram->Sterling Road->Taylors Road->Anna Nagar route. It will be a nightmare during peak hours though.

I will be starting from work only at 22:30 so traffic won't be a problem. I am planning to take the Ashok Pillar->Kodambakkam Bridge->Mahalingapuram->Loyola->Anna Arch->Golden flats route. Loyola subway doesn't usually get flooded so i hope i should be ok with this route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilead (Post 1894294)
That stretch is perfectly clear till Kathipara. Don't know the condition of the airport road beyond that. Lot of water logging just after Kathipara on the Vadapalani side.

Thanks. There will be no water logging from that point onwards and I don't have any subways to cross.

Just got a call from aargee. Couple of trees have fallen on the road near the Guindy race course (on the velachery road) blocking traffic. People travelling through that route please plan accordingly.