Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 15:27   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Any one here who uses Vandalur - Perungulathur stretch in the evenings? Need some alternatives, offlate it has become mad taking almost an hour to reach the Byepass Jn. from Vandalur.
Take the right near the Zoo. But you have to travel close to 2-3kms when there is a left towards this place called Sadhanandhapuram(Road is called Old GST road). You can bypass from Vandalur upto Perungalathur police station. From here its just taking right towards tambaram. I think you can atleast save 30 minutes taking this detour.

vandalur - Google Maps

if the link doesnt show up the map let me know. I will mail the picture of the route to your email Id.

let me try this route today and tell you if its worth the hassel in the evening.

Vw2010

Last edited by VW2010 : 20th January 2011 at 15:32. Reason: added information
Old 20th January 2011, 15:41   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

May I correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
... I encountered a police-speed-barricade which again created a pile-up.
Tail-back, when it is a queue. It is a pile-up when multiple vehicles actually hit each other.

It is a wonder to me that some of these barricades do not cause pile-ups!

(Pedantry department: maybe that should be piles-up!)

Pramod, sorry to hear of your accident.
Old 21st January 2011, 07:16   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Take the right near the Zoo. But you have to travel close to 2-3kms when there is a left towards this place called Sadhanandhapuram(Road is called Old GST road). You can bypass from Vandalur upto Perungalathur police station. From here its just taking right towards tambaram. I think you can atleast save 30 minutes taking this detour.

vandalur - Google Maps

if the link doesnt show up the map let me know. I will mail the picture of the route to your email Id.

let me try this route today and tell you if its worth the hassel in the evening.

Vw2010
Sure thanks. Let me know your feedback. I am seriously contemplating parking my car at Tambaram station and taking the train to Mahindra City.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:20   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I am seriously contemplating parking my car at Tambaram station and taking the train to Mahindra City.
That will be an excellent idea. They do have a neat parking facility. Do let me know whether they issue monthly passes for parking. From where do you commute to Mahindra City daily?
Old 21st January 2011, 09:44   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure thanks. Let me know your feedback
Coudnt leave work before 10 yesterday. Will check the roads this weekend and update.

The flyover in Vandalur will definitely ease the traffic and may be the goverment will show some mercy and construct one in perungalathur. The main reason for the traffic includes the Perungalathur gate, Tambaram Flyover construction which will ease traffic whereby people getting into perungalathur from City can take the route through muduchoor, Vandalur flyover and (drum roll) the long distance private buses.

There is a bus stop just before the perungalathur police station signal which does not help free movement of traffic.

Once the Tambaram and Vandalur flyovers start operating we can definitely see better movement across this junction.

There are plans to widen the stretch between Vandalur and Perungalathur. But it may just be a plan till 2015 knowing how effectively the needs are met in our country.

My Advice is to try the alternate route to save time for the moment. Parking in tambaram is something i will think twice. Its an open parking and there is no gaurantee for safety.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:44   #591
BHPian

It's not in the tip of the exhuast pipe, but it wsa in the center. The leak sometimes looks like oil. After the replacement, I am not going to that petrol bunk. I don't have any issues till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Is this a problem? I notice water vapour and condensation at the tip of the exhaust when I occasionally drive for short distances (~ 2KM). It is not noticed once the engine warms up on longer drives. I always fill petrol at Shell and the quality is very good.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:03   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That will be an excellent idea. They do have a neat parking facility. Do let me know whether they issue monthly passes for parking. From where do you commute to Mahindra City daily?
I go to Mahindra City may be twice or thrice a week. The design team works out of the facility there. My residence is at Padi, so it is not so much of an issue in the morning taking the byepass and coming down to Mahindra City though evenings are a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Coudnt leave work before 10 yesterday. Will check the roads this weekend and update.

My Advice is to try the alternate route to save time for the moment. Parking in tambaram is something i will think twice. Its an open parking and there is no gaurantee for safety.
No Issues. I did try the route you had suggested today morning. The entire stretch is good except for occasional pot holes, one needs to be careful as the road is with some very sharp curves. This road is certainly an alternative, but when I take the same road back in the evening I will know how good an alternative this is during evening times.

In fact I went a step further and went through Police Academy road and then joined NH45 at Urapakkam. The roads are non existent for a couple of kms and the rest of the stretch is manageable. This could be a last resort option in case the traffic piles up well before Vandalur.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:36   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact I went a step further and went through Police Academy road and then joined NH45 at Urapakkam
Definitely a good alternative. But i think the traffic is manageable till the vandalur junction. Turning right and completely avoiding the traffic between Vandalur gate and Perungalathur gate would be the best option.

Also avoid crossing this junction between 720-810. This it the time the gate is kept closed almost for 45 minutes and the traffic starts to queue up. The police do not allow people to make an U-Turn near the *(perungalathur)police station at this time. All vehicles go upto the Sriram IT part to take the U-Turn. Hence the traffic pile up on the other side.

After 810 the traffic generally eases out and around 845 the gates are closed till 9.00-9-10.

If the Vandalur flyover is complete, i can suggest the best alternative.Route is a little longer but definitely faster to reach tambaram.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:11   #594
BHPian

Anyone have any idea why the Shell bunks in Pallikarannai and on the 100 ft road leading from Pallavaram flyover towards OMR are always closed?

The convenience store seems to be open, but they have barricades put up at the entrance of both pumps.
Old 21st January 2011, 16:07   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
Anyone have any idea why the Shell bunks in Pallikarannai and on the 100 ft road leading from Pallavaram flyover towards OMR are always closed?

The convenience store seems to be open, but they have barricades put up at the entrance of both pumps.
I fuelled at Pallikarannai bunk 10 days back. Is that closed suddenly?

There was not much patronage for Pallavaram / OMR road Shell. Mostly it was looking deserted, even when they were in operation. So they would have shut it off.

Last edited by KumaravelS : 21st January 2011 at 16:09. Reason: punctuations
Old 21st January 2011, 18:36   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
I fuelled at Pallikarannai bunk 10 days back. Is that closed suddenly?

There was not much patronage for Pallavaram / OMR road Shell. Mostly it was looking deserted, even when they were in operation. So they would have shut it off.
Maybe it has opened recently? I had seen it about a month back, and there were barricades at the entrance...
Old 21st January 2011, 19:07   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
Maybe it has opened recently? I had seen it about a month back, and there were barricades at the entrance...

Vineet, The bunk @ pallikaranai s not closed. Last month TN water dept (or may be telephones dept) was digging a trench and were laying a big pipe, so they had barricaded the entrance for a couple of days. Still you should have been able to go in to the bunk from the Exit side.

The one in the thoraipakkam -chrompet road is closed long back. I assumed that they didnot achieve the break even, after 1 year of ownership. I believe thats what happened to most of the shell bunks. Unless they are on par with the PSU rates, survival will be a tough question for those owners.
Old 23rd January 2011, 11:51   #598
BHPian

I was traveling with my family in chennai bye pass road yesterday evening.
We saw an accident in which a Car(guess its i10) got crushed under a lorry with blood every where.Lot of lorries standing by the side of the road.
Police and huge crowd have gathered there.

Accident would have happened because of the opening near thiruneermalai road for lorries to join the byepass.

This is the 3rd accident i am seeing there in the last 2 months.This is kinda scary considering the frequency of accidents happening there.
Even the toll plaza is not that good.Poorly organized and entry to it is full of craters that can scrape yourcar's underbelly.
There is always some sort of traffic pile-up happening.

I tried searching for more information about the accident, in today's newspaper but in vain.
Anybody got more info on this?
Old 24th January 2011, 12:39   #599
BHPian

Re: Battery Theft : The new target?

Last week, I was moving slowly, at a toll plaza lane near Mahindra city (towards Chengalpat).

A Govt bus full of hanging passengers, who was in the next lane, suddenly took a turn and hit my bonnet in the driver side. (to join a lesser crowded queue)

Luckily the passengers in the front footboard, managed to lift their legs or rush inside and escaped.

The driver reasoned, since it was hanging passengers, I could not see the small car.
Well, if that is the case (could not see), the sane question of why the hell he wanted to take a left cut, didn't get the right answer.
Conductor pleaded to forgive.

With kids sleeping in the back seat, at 8 PM, I choose not to follow on this, and use my insurance and curse the situation.

I wonder what to do even if it day time and am alone and have the time to take the bus/vehicle to police and all..

What is the procedure? Would a common man get justice in such situation?

Mods : Thought that am typing in a different tab, and posted in wrong thread. Is it possible to move to this message to "Traffic and life on the road in Chennai" thread?

Slightly O.T :
An hare brained lady passenger in the bus, said I should have been careful and raised my BP.

Last edited by KumaravelS : 24th January 2011 at 12:45. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
Old 29th January 2011, 23:46   #600
Senior - BHPian

Anyone else got caught in the horrible traffic jam on GST today? I was caught in it all the way from airport to Peerkankaranai (Perungalathur), and it looked like the line of vehicles was still stretching as far as the eye could see. I finally got fed up and left GST, took the road that runs parallel to it @ Peerkankaranai and went back to Tambaram.

Most Viewed