Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 09:52   #601
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

rajushank84: Hmm, read it in the papers. Bad indeed considering it being Sunday. What time was it? However surprisingly yesterday around 5:30 pm we moved from Velachery to Anna Nagar. Except for a small queue-up and signal-wait at T.Nagar bus-depot area the traffic was very very light.

This morning I decided to take the bike to the office after a long time. Wow! As usual 8:30 am and not that crowded on the Tambaram road. Mobile-Speed-breaking-barricades appear on both sides of the road just before reaching the Kamakshi hospital flyover.
a. I saw glass crumbs shattered on the left barricade. Now this could be a result of someone crashing into it or they could have placed it after the event.
b. There are two yellow signal posts installed on the median-cut too. The signals are next. Looks like lot of people need to cross over. But on the left we have the Pallikarnai marshland??? Maybe to the bus-stand.

I sped past a Santro and a green Figo. The bike is not too slow after all, I thought. Though it was sunny, there was a cool breeze I could feel during the drive (unlike the car drive), a visor-less helmet further helped. Felt good. Navigating through was much easier. I beat the long pile-ups... Oops.. tail-backs (or tails-back? Thad?) at the Pallikarnai toll (15 vehicles - no waiting time and no 35 bucks to be paid) + the Thoraipakkam signal (drove in the small-alley created between parked IT buses and the median.) I was much closer to people, closer to nature, bliss and continuing the poetry maybe closer to God (you know what I mean!) The 45 seconds I stood at the signal I felt the beating sun-light but manageable I would say, missed the music though. I enter the office building and parking. Wow! Easy. I would have spent 10 bucks on petrol. Wow! However I am currently feeling a dry-powder/dust on my hands and face.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:01   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
rajushank84: Hmm, read it in the papers. Bad indeed considering it being Sunday. What time was it? However surprisingly yesterday around 5:30 pm we moved from Velachery to Anna Nagar. Except for a small queue-up and signal-wait at T.Nagar bus-depot area the traffic was very very light.

This morning I decided to take the bike to the office after a long time. Wow! As usual 8:30 am and not that crowded on the Tambaram road. Mobile-Speed-breaking-barricades appear on both sides of the road just before reaching the Kamakshi hospital flyover.
a. I saw glass crumbs shattered on the left barricade. Now this could be a result of someone crashing into it or they could have placed it after the event.
b. There are two yellow signal posts installed on the median-cut too. The signals are next. Looks like lot of people need to cross over. But on the left we have the Pallikarnai marshland??? Maybe to the bus-stand.

I sped past a Santro and a green Figo. The bike is not too slow after all, I thought. Though it was sunny, there was a cool breeze I could feel during the drive (unlike the car drive), a visor-less helmet further helped. Felt good. Navigating through was much easier. I beat the long pile-ups... Oops.. tail-backs (or tails-back? Thad?) at the Pallikarnai toll (15 vehicles - no waiting time and no 35 bucks to be paid) + the Thoraipakkam signal (drove in the small-alley created between parked IT buses and the median.) I was much closer to people, closer to nature, bliss and continuing the poetry maybe closer to God (you know what I mean!) The 45 seconds I stood at the signal I felt the beating sun-light but manageable I would say, missed the music though. I enter the office building and parking. Wow! Easy. I would have spent 10 bucks on petrol. Wow! However I am currently feeling a dry-powder/dust on my hands and face.
I totally agree! I too have gone back to bikes for the daily commute. The only challenge is dust, and a helmet with a good visor does the job fairly well. It is becoming close to impossible to drive a car daily in Chennai AND keep one's sanity.

The GST trafffic jam was from 1PM to 5PM (and probably longer). Just that I managed to escape because I happened to know the parallel road that joins GST in Peerkankaranai. I guess many people wouldn't know it as it looks like a residential road.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:18   #603
BHPian

If you are talking of the jam on Sunday it was due to "The Art of Living" concert of 5000 musicians at Shriram IT park in Perungulathur. The Saturday's one I do not have any idea, but I guess it is a daily phenomenon. Must say it is time the GST Road from Tambaram to Chengalpattu be made Three laned. Also wish the Peripheral ring road (planned) is completed soon.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:23   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tail-backs (or tails-back? Thad?)
I think that the English language has to admit defeat on that one!

I read that some political demo completely messed up our traffic on Saturday. I suppose this is going to get more common with elections approaching.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:36   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
If you are talking of the jam on Sunday it was due to "The Art of Living" concert of 5000 musicians at Shriram IT park in Perungulathur. The Saturday's one I do not have any idea, but I guess it is a daily phenomenon. Must say it is time the GST Road from Tambaram to Chengalpattu be made Three laned. Also wish the Peripheral ring road (planned) is completed soon.
No, I am talking about Saturday. I know traffic jams are quite common, but this one was phenomenal - all the way from a little beyond Guindy to Perungalathur (and probably farther down too). Wonder what could have caused such a huge jam.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:57   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all the way from a little beyond Guindy to Perungalathur (and probably farther down too). Wonder what could have caused such a huge jam
I was lucky to reach Pallavaram, after which it took me twenty five minutes to reach perungalathur. There was some gathering opposite to airport (for BJP- Guess). The buses that came to pick up the supporters were parked as any other political party does and that caused the problem.

Have to appreciate the traffic police to bring things to control and create a flow of traffic.
Old 31st January 2011, 15:04   #607
BHPian

I saw n number of buses carrying BJP buses on my way back home @Nanganallur on Saturday. And, I could sense that the traffic scene was getting worse as each minute passed by.

Heard that BJP's high profile ring including Nitin Gadkari had some meeting in Chennai/Kanchipuram
Old 31st January 2011, 15:55   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
No, I am talking about Saturday. I know traffic jams are quite common, but this one was phenomenal - all the way from a little beyond Guindy to Perungalathur (and probably farther down too). Wonder what could have caused such a huge jam.
@rajushank - It is indeed BJP agitation meeting just opposite to Airport.
I got badly struck in the jam and it took nearly 2 hours to reach West tambaram from Guindy Kathipara Junction.

I guess many people would have either missed their flight or train due to this as the jam was on both the sides of the road.
The Party says (whoever does these agitation) that they are fighting for people.. When they will understand that they actually cause nuisance alone.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:26   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I saw n number of buses carrying BJP buses on my way back home ...
Must've been a sight!!!

The longest traffic block i've seen was a couple of years back, on the day before Christmas. There was a loooooooooong queue of vehicles from Saidapet (or was it Guindy?) till CMBT. I boarded a bus to CMBT at 6pm from Thiruvanmiyur, and I reached the Omnibus stand at 11:30pm. Luckily, my bus from there which was scheduled to leave at 9:30 was royally stuck inside the terminus itself and as luck would have it, things started moving by midnight.

Whenever there's some procession, it's the traffic police and the motorists who are made to pay for the chaos.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:42   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I saw n number of buses carrying BJP buses on my way back home @Nanganallur on Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Must've been a sight!!!
Oopsss!!!! Sorry for the bug in the code - technically!!

Read it as "n number of buses carrying BJP flags"!!!
Old 31st January 2011, 22:06   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

That would be where n has a value equal to or greater than large?

Old 2nd February 2011, 11:36   #612
BHPian

Had a harrowing time today morning getting to work.
Left at 8 from home, it took me an hour to get from mandaveli to satya studio (normally takes 2 minutes) to find that the bridge towards adyar is blocked and all vehicles and bus being diverted towards Chamier road. Finally got there after more than half an hour to find traffic all the way to kotturpuram. Headed back home, left the car then took the train and then a bus to get to shollinganalur.
Any idea why the blockage? There was no update regarding this in the papers. I dont get why this kind of stuff has to happen during peak hours without prior notice. We really are taken for a ride here.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:47   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea why the blockage? There was no update regarding this in the papers. I dont get why this kind of stuff has to happen during peak hours without prior notice. We really are taken for a ride here.
we are still living in India. When was the last time public was given prior notice about a blockage or traffic related update. The radio channels atleast broadcast the status of most of the roads in the form of traffic updates by users.

The Metro construction is a prime example. Suddenly one day i find the barricades just before reaching kathipara from Tambaram side holding traffic close to an hour. There were no prior notice and i feel the planning team just took it for granted that people with adjust.

Personally i feel that Metro construction could have been better planned.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:02   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Personally i feel that Metro construction could have been better planned.
+1 to that. The kasi theatre side is a prime example. With the U-turn under the bridge being blocked, I was stuck in between traffic coming in 4 different directions the other day.
Also had a close shave near little mount. An MTC bus guy jumping from the other side of the barricade to this side almost side swiped me. Imagine my horror when I saw a headlight and thought it was a bike to find this guy coming out
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:38   #615
BHPian

Guys,

DMK is holding general party meeting on 03rd Feb’2011 at Teachers College, Saidapet between 1800hrs till 2000hrs,
Traffic between Anna Salai till Rajbhawan is expected to be disrupted between 1630hrs till 2200hrs,

Traffic Diversion during this meeting:
  • Vehicle heading from Nandanam towards Saidapet or Guindy will be diverted through Nandanam Chamiers road via Turn bull’s road to Kotturpuram and join Raj Bhawan and continue towards Guindy.
  • Vehicle heading from Airport/Kathipara junction towards Saidapet / Mount road will be diverted through Little Mount - Raj Bhawan – Kotturpuram –Turn Bulls road via Cenotaph road and join Mount road.
Please plan your travel accordingly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks