Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:25   #616
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsriram View Post
Guys,

DMK is holding general party meeting on 03rd Feb’2011 at Teachers College, Saidapet between 1800hrs till 2000hrs. Traffic between Anna Salai till Rajbhawan is expected to be disrupted between 1630hrs till 2200hrs

Please plan your travel accordingly
@getsriram: Thanks for the info abt this nuisance. While coming to office I saw the banners/posters/flags of DMK all over Saidapet and CIT nagar area and was wondering on which route to take in the evening. I think it will be better to leave late today.
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:18   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be better to leave late today.
Probably avoid getting into mount road and use either the ECR to reach your destination. If you have to take the mount road I can only pray for you. Jobless folks ruining lives of people returning from actually after doing some work(may be)

Last edited by VW2010 : 3rd February 2011 at 13:32.
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:26   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. Wife is in Anna Nagar: just let her know to come home via Mylapore or Beach Road.

Also ... helps me decide not to go there for visit and collect her myself!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd February 2011 at 13:28.
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:38   #619
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully the beach road is not over crowded due to this. I think it is better to start early to go to the railway station anyways. Cant take chances. Still remember the last jam I got stuck in near Maraimalai nagar about a month back
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:18   #620
BHPian

I was wondering in the morning seeing the flags on what meeting was going to be held.Have come towards Accord hotel in T.Nagar and would be here till around 5 30 pm.Now would see how to get back to besant ngr in evening.Would take the chamiers rd turning else would go via RA Puram route.
I guess till the elections are over these meetings would be held quite often!
Old 4th February 2011, 03:24   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks. Wife is in Anna Nagar: just let her know to come home via Mylapore or Beach Road.

Also ... helps me decide not to go there for visit and collect her myself!
She decided to stop over with the inlaws and come back in the morning.
Old 4th February 2011, 06:56   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsriram View Post
Guys,

DMK is holding general party meeting on 03rd Feb’2011 at Teachers College, Saidapet between 1800hrs till 2000hrs,
Traffic between Anna Salai till Rajbhawan is expected to be disrupted between 1630hrs till 2200hrs,

Traffic Diversion during this meeting:
  • Vehicle heading from Nandanam towards Saidapet or Guindy will be diverted through Nandanam Chamiers road via Turn bull’s road to Kotturpuram and join Raj Bhawan and continue towards Guindy.
  • Vehicle heading from Airport/Kathipara junction towards Saidapet / Mount road will be diverted through Little Mount - Raj Bhawan – Kotturpuram –Turn Bulls road via Cenotaph road and join Mount road.
Please plan your travel accordingly

With all the money they looted can't they buy some 100 acres out of the city, build their own Sun City, do all their thamasha there and leave us at peace?
Old 4th February 2011, 08:10   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
With all the money they looted can't they buy some 100 acres out of the city, build their own Sun City, do all their thamasha there and leave us at peace?
Dude, you are absolutely right. But, with all the money they looted, IMO they can afford to buy Adyar or Besant Nagar itself. Why somewhere outside the city??

Ok. back to some sense after all these non-sense politics, I made a dinner plan yesterday wantedly to avoid the traffic. Had a fantabulous dinner at Cream Center, RA Puram and then drove back home after all these nuisances were over - after 10:30pm.
Old 5th February 2011, 02:18   #624
Senior - BHPian

Hello all in Chennai !! I recently shifted to Chennai and thus not aware about the city. I am going to buy a car soon (most probably Chevrolet Beat) and I'll seek you help in know the things around.

Subscribed to this thread and will be following closely.
Old 10th February 2011, 23:13   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

It's five years and 20,000km since I was last really nervous of Chennai traffic --- but I took a visitor to the airport last night, around midnight, and it was nerve-racking!

We collected her from Raj Palace Sundaram (near MGR Janakai College), and, heading for Adyar, I was well-behaved and went around the one-way. It isn't exactlymuch further, for goodness sake. As I was taking the right, opposite the Govt Music College entrance ...I came face-to-face with a cab heading for the beach road! He was even keeping to his left, too <--- very nearly literally!

The antics of the cab drivers on the airport road were just ridiculous. Far worse than anything I ever see on the OMR in day time.

My final nasty moment came, nearing home, on the OMR, with a tailgateing car, and two others overtaking (that dangerous knot of traffic situation) when I realised that, in front of me, was a concrete lorry half across the road.

The couple of drunks wandering all over the road in the back lanes off OMR were child's play compared to the cabbies and co near the airport. They are the sort of thing that scares my wife. I pointed out that they were happy, so no threat!

Phew, was I glad to get home a few minutes after that.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th February 2011 at 23:15. Reason: knot not not!
Old 10th February 2011, 23:40   #626
Senior - BHPian

@Thad: Consider yourself lucky to have seen that concrete truck on time! Anyway glad to know all are safe.

@Autonoob: Enjoy your stay in the Hot Metro
Old 11th February 2011, 21:03   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's five years and 20,000km since I was last really nervous of Chennai traffic --- but I took a visitor to the airport last night, around midnight, and it was nerve-racking!

The antics of the cab drivers on the airport road were just ridiculous. Far worse than anything I ever see on the OMR in day time.

My final nasty moment came, nearing home, on the OMR, with a tailgateing car, and two others overtaking (that dangerous knot of traffic situation) when I realised that, in front of me, was a concrete lorry half across the road.

The couple of drunks wandering all over the road in the back lanes off OMR were child's play compared to the cabbies and co near the airport. They are the sort of thing that scares my wife. I pointed out that they were happy, so no threat!

Phew, was I glad to get home a few minutes after that.

That's the route i take on my daily commuting to home from office.
Really a nightmare to drive especially when you travel in a bike.
Forget about OHC,Baleno,palio....Here only indica's and indigo's are the kings;All trying to prove which car is the fastest.
Add Tavera's,Innova's and sumo's....You get the cocktail of worst nightmares.
Old 11th February 2011, 22:18   #628
Senior - BHPian

@Thad

That must have been because of the small hours of the day! I travel up and down the airport road every single day without any trouble. After 10.00 PM it may become a different story, as I have seen police barricades come up near the airport after this hour.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:12   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Must have been around 1.00am. The return journey, with cabs heading into the city, was the worst.

That concrete lorry was reversing off OMR, and showing no lights to the side whatsoever. I know I always tell people that driving into a stationary object is always your own fault, but ...
Old 17th February 2011, 15:59   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently I just missed the political hoohaa in Mylapore yesterday. We were heading for RK Salai from the South. Having avoided the straight line through Mylapore, I was surprised to encounter buses coming down Warren Road on diversion.

Coming to the backside of Nageswara Rao Park, I found buses and cars in a jam, and quickly turned to pass the other side of the park, across Luz Church Road into the Lane up to Oliver Road --- and missed the jam completely

Most Viewed