Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 13:58   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

^^^
@VW2010, guess its a "grass being greener on the other side" thing. I am at Kerala and it is raining cats and dogs most of the day & after the initial fun, I hate it - everything is wet, mossy, damp. But when I am at Chennai, I miss the Kerala rains.

BTW, for the Kerala travellers, the famed Changanassery-Alappuzha road became a waterway just a couple of days after the monsoon started.
The river near my home will anyday flood its sides, depending on the rains in the coming days and the already half-flooded fields would be full of water (and fish) - so time to clean up the fishing rod/reel.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th June 2011 at 14:06.
Old 7th June 2011, 14:12   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^
@VW2010, guess its a "grass being greener on the other side" thing.
I am at Kerala and it is raining cats and dogs most of the day - after the initial fun, I hate it - everything is wet, mossy, damp. But when I am at Chennai, I miss the Kerala rains.
Also the power cuts, monster mosquitoes, slimy creatures coming out of their shell.
Old 7th June 2011, 14:13   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But when I am at Chennai, I miss the Kerala rains.
Anyway being at anyplace other than chennai, we chennaites will never miss this hot summer. Disgusting weather.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:09   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
Also the power cuts, monster mosquitoes, slimy creatures coming out of their shell.
Oh yeah. How could I miss the creatures ? There are these millipedes (atta in local parlance) that are all over the place. Not to mention the snails that like to feed only on wifey's prized Orchids. And the mosquitoes are not only huge, but present round the clock - my parents were at Chennai for 10 days last week and their comment was "It sure is hot, but atleast no pesky mosquitoes". Less said about power-cuts, the better.

BTW I used to take pride in the fact that Chennai does not have power-cuts and boast to friends back home in Kerala - but finally we are also seeing load-shedding, powercuts etc. Sad.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th June 2011 at 15:12.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:19   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW I used to take pride in the fact that Chennai does not have power-cuts and boast to friends back home in Kerala - but finally we are also seeing load-shedding, powercuts etc. Sad.
Now, Kerala and TN are competing with each other in terms of powercuts/load shedding. With the change in regime in both the states, it's become worse
Old 7th June 2011, 16:07   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, for the Kerala travellers, the famed Changanassery-Alappuzha road became a waterway just a couple of days after the monsoon started.
So is the highway closed?

I am usually scared when I do that stretch driving so close to the waters, I cant even think about the condition of that road now

I love the rains in Kerala and my usual route via Kumily becomes more scenic with all the water streams across the road! I wish I had time to make a trip to Kerala now!
Old 7th June 2011, 16:55   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
A Tempo Traveller had turned turtle opp. to Indira Nagar Railway station before Madhya Kailash. It happened right before I reached the spot and traffic was slowly getting piled up over there. Not sure if that was the reason.
Nope. She got caught up in that one on the way back!

I think she and her auto driver had a very unpleasant return trip

We just finished two whole days of power cut!

nine-to-five yesterday was planned, and we went out. However the power only came back from 5.00 to 7.30, was off all night and all day until now. In that respect, the rain having cooled things down a bit was a blessing. It still hasn't been much fun, though.
Old 7th June 2011, 17:22   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is the highway closed?
Nope. The highway doesn't get flooded generally. It's this road that gets flooded:
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-alepy.jpg
Old 7th June 2011, 17:39   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Nope. The highway doesn't get flooded generally. It's this road that gets flooded:
Attachment 556547
My bad! I called it the highway

I was talking about that particular stretch that connects Changanassery-Alappuzha!
Old 7th June 2011, 17:47   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad! I called it the highway

I was talking about that particular stretch that connects Changanassery-Alappuzha!
Actually, you are right! That particular stretch IS called Alappuzha-Changanassery Highway

PS: Highway as such refers to the NH-47, so it's prudent to specify the full name of this road
Old 14th June 2011, 13:55   #731
Senior - BHPian

Traffic was packed and almost standstill from HaddowsRoad onto N.H. Road today at 11:30AM - heard that there was a fire in some building on Mount Road (near Anand theatre) which was the cause for this logjam. Had to turn back via the lanes on Khader Nawaz Khan road, onto T.Nagar and via Velachery to work.

Spotted a pearl-white AT Scorpio with 2 Tbhp stickers on the rear and one on the driver side at Concorde while towards Velachery. Could not recognize the driver. One of the stickers was "I Drive Safe" and he was indeed driving safely - infact I won't be wrong in saying that this was maybe the 1st Scorpio that I saw which was driving sanely without bullying other road-users. It also had "4WD" at the rear - do ATs come in 4WD ? Must have cost a packet given the AT and 4WD option combo.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:44   #732
Senior - BHPian

RAIN!!!! Absolutely awesome weather outside right now! Folded up my jeans, grabbed an umbrella and drank my cup of tea outside! Rain makes me crazy :P
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 18:08   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

hee hee... used it to wash the car

The bad news is that our painters were just putting the enamel-paint finishing touches to the pair of steel-work peacocks we have over our gate.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:40   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
RAIN!!!! Absolutely awesome weather outside right now! Folded up my jeans, grabbed an umbrella and drank my cup of tea outside! Rain makes me crazy :P

Nothing to beat the experience of drinking a cup of hot tea (preferably road-side tea-stall), in the rain !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...The bad news is that our painters were just putting the enamel-paint finishing touches to the pair of steel-work peacocks we have over our gate.
Oops, bad luck !
Old 14th June 2011, 23:54   #735
BHPian

Nothing like riding in the rain! Always loved it, still do. I guess I am not alone !

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

Most Viewed