Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 01:13   #841
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

This afternoon, parked near 5star, purchasing a few side dishes from the Royal Biriyani counter, I did experience something new, and I did discover I can really keep my cool after a few weeks of Yoga! (I never park in any way to intrude. 5 star is nothing new to us. There have been plenty of times when I go park there and go shopping and come back to find a car or two parked blocking my car, If there is a driver I request him to move out, and always thank him after wards. There have been times I have waited in my car for the other person to finish up. In all these years I have always been courteous and I have seen only courteous folks down the shop).

I am probably parked a few inches into his space, any driver worth his salt wouldn't have bothered, he could have honked, waved, the guys at the royal counter know me well, the min they tell my sister, I have this moron banging his keys on my window, gesturing me to move. If I was alone, I wouldn't care, If I was with a few of my friends, He would have learnt a lesson he would never forget. What right does it give someone who is pissed off with his wife to vent on some other guy? Does Owning an Indica mean, we are lesser mortals? Anyone can get a run of a mill second hand city that one could use only for the weekends. Do we have to flaunt with a bigger set of wheels?

I had posted earlier, that no one follows the signals, I had promised about videos. If you travel on the ECR today, there will be cops. manning the signals. I did take the vids, it did go where it had to go and I am happy about the results.

If owning a retarded 'golden' city gives one the authority to knock on my window, It gives my friends to do more.

I dint even realize till my sis told what he did was rude. Ever do that when I have a kid or elders, I really would loose my cool. Funny thing is, I usually have my pair of GSD on the backseat.

So, does working in an IT company, wearing shorts, being an NRI, driving a x hand city, give one authority to come banging on someones window ( thinking its a cab and there is just a woman?)

I usually do not care about all this crap, but if it matters to most of us, I guess I might as well get a water tanker, garbage truck, pay peanuts, get my rocks off?

If that idiot is a member here, I do hope he realizes life is just a bubble, and if he wants to vent his anger he better get a punching bag. Any other day, He would have been mine.

Proves, Education is nothing, wearing shorts and Farting around with a few years of working abroad do not change anything. Funny thing is it has to be with the neo IT rich confused morons like the one I met. Ofcourse, there are plenty of the good kind proly from the late 90z.

Dint get his no though, But that is not much of a problem, 5 star and royal guys are known to me.

Not really venting. Just what my sister felt. People have to realize there is always someone with a bigger car an clout and those that drive even the 'insects' of automobiles might be just red herring with Muscle so huge, Arnold would be shy off.

Next time you see that Tvs 50 moron cut across you, smile and wave. Might prove good for your well being. And If you are pissed off with your wives spending, talk to her, do not come banging on my windscreen, I usually have a short fuse too.

Mods please forgive the looooooog post. Haven't crossed the 2 smiley per post.

Last edited by YaeJay : 29th August 2011 at 01:27.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:33   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
This afternoon, parked near 5star, purchasing a few side dishes from the Royal Biriyani counter,
I live just behind the streets of five star, wow will keep a open eye to spot you and wave a hi

Quote:
So, does working in an IT company, wearing shorts, being an NRI, driving a x hand city, give one authority to come banging on someones window ( thinking its a cab and there is just a woman?) ..

\Next time you see that Tvs 50 moron cut across you, smile and wave. Might prove good for your well being. And If you are pissed off with your wives spending, talk to her, do not come banging on my windscreen, I usually have a short fuse too...
That place is always crowed and these things happen very often.
I like the way you posted, good post.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:07   #843
BHPian

Looks like lot of people would have reached their office late after coming back from long weekend due to traffic hold up in SPKoil
Old 5th September 2011, 14:54   #844
Senior - BHPian

The best solution would be to build an elavated high way from Tambaram to Chengelpet for all the traffic moving out of chennai. Perungalathur is hell on earth when it comes to crossing either perungalathur or just the gate to get into perungalathur.

Last time i used the gate was around a month back. These days use the mudichur road while coming back from work.

Similar stories happening in Urappakkam, gooduvancheri and quite a few places till we reach chengelpet.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:11   #845
BHPian

1. The by-pass road portion immediately before the Velachery Vijayanagar junction is nothing short of HORRIBLE since few weeks/months. The surface resembles more to that of the moon with every single 2/4 wheeler struggling to keep the minimum 2nd gear pace, thus slowing down the whole traffic and making it inefficient. When monsoon is just in its vicinity I can imagine nothing short of a havoc in this area.
A better option (which I take often at peak hours as I perceive) is to follow the Velachery main road itself from gurunanak junction - it is slow indeed but doesn't give you the feeling of being stuck for nothing for ages together. A still better option is to follow the byepass till a short stretch before the metro water filling station on the left, then take the linking lane to join the velachery main road just before the police station and then continue in Velachery main road to pass through the junction on to the same road going towards Tambaram. Atleast waiting specifically at signals will be lesser.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:07   #846
BHPian

There's a curious thing I have observed in the last few years. It may just be my perception. It is easier to change lanes if I dont use my indicator. The moment I put the indicator to change lanes or make a turn, people behind feel compelled to overtake me even if they are 3-4 car lengths behind me. The vagaries of human behaviour...
Old 6th September 2011, 09:32   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
1. The by-pass road portion immediately before the Velachery Vijayanagar junction is nothing short of HORRIBLE since few weeks/months.
I have had to attend two wedding receptions within the past few months at Raja kalyana mandap at Velachery. From Chromepet, I take the Radial Road and reach this junction in just 15 minutes by bike. But from there to the marriage hall it takes at least another 20 minutes - and this on Sunday evenings. It must be hell during weekdays.
Old 8th September 2011, 20:08   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar
It is easier to change lanes if I dont use my indicator. The moment I put the indicator to change lanes or make a turn, people behind feel compelled to overtake me even if they are 3-4 car lengths behind me.
Since you mention 3-4 car-lengths, I assume this must be on the highway, in which case it is indeed suprising behaviour on their part. But when I am in B2B traffic on NelsonManickam road during rush hour, and a smart-alec in a car thinks he can weave in and out of cars where there is barely space for a bike, I do close the gap. Does not matter whether he puts indicators or not.

BTW, did anyone see a smashed red Figo yesterday late evening (8:45PM or so), just in front of NIFT Tharamani ? Not sure what happened, but the way it was resting - it had not only climbed the footpath (partly, a rear wheel was in the air), but it was also facing the wrong side. Looks like he spun at high-speed or something.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:49   #849
Senior - BHPian

People are adriving crazy fast in chennai. I say to myself that if i am driving at 5th gear i am over speeding. Thats how i tackle inside chennai atleast to keep my speed in check.

But lately i see a lot of swifts/i10/figo in that order just dashing inside city. I wish people just use some common sense and stick to city speed limits (May be +10kmph) and just take it easy.

No matter what one is not going to save hours driving faster. May be few minutes at max.

Another thing i notice lately inside mepz is that people trying to go faster. Even inside a office campus people are impatient, honking and overtaking.

I wish they had some sense.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 21:20   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
People are adriving crazy fast in chennai.
But lately i see a lot of swifts/i10/figo in that order just dashing inside city. I wish people just use some common sense and stick to city speed limits (May be +10kmph) and just take it easy.
I agree about most Swifts, but not the other two cars, though there may be exceptions. Most people seem to drive their Swifts like four wheeled Pulsars, if you know what I mean!
Old 11th September 2011, 00:27   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
People are adriving crazy fast in chennai. I say to myself that if i am driving at 5th gear i am over speeding. Thats how i tackle inside chennai atleast to keep my speed in check.

No matter what one is not going to save hours driving faster. May be few minutes at max.

Another thing i notice lately inside mepz is that people trying to go faster. Even inside a office campus people are impatient, honking and overtaking.

I wish they had some sense.
Right on. I did see a white Ritz with a live to drive driving like he was the only one who knows to drive. near KFC pallavakam. Next on the cards is to picture constantly performing monkeys on the ECR. The no plate shot of course not posted on the FB, just sent to the traffic GOD. There are some old timers from around here, we all like it peace and quite and well behaved. Of course, if folks noticed even our dear share autos have their marked stops now. As always they will flaunt the rule. matter of time even for them.

I do hope it puts an end to the weekend deaths on ECR, it is sad to see atleast 2 totalled cars every week more distressing to hear about loss of life. We have a track, I do hope guys just go there and test themselves. Else, stick to NFS.

P.s : I have no intention of boasting I have seen the best drivers or I am a good driver. It so happens I have seen so many fatal accidents in my family, all due to others that makes me say this. At a certain point of time it was so bad, I was banned from driving or riding even a bike. Those two years, I would never forget! But, it did made me realize how much it all means to me. It was like the air you breathe. Two very long years. But it did change my driving style forever. Let us all remember there is always someone waiting for us back home, we are responsible for someone, I am responsible for quite a few, but just a thought of my dear canine friends, waiting for me with all the love in this whole world without asking for anything in return, Will always ensure I get back home safe and sound.
YaeJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 15:28   #852
BHPian

Quote:
I am responsible for quite a few, but just a thought of my dear canine friends, waiting for me with all the love in this whole world without asking for anything in return, Will always ensure I get back home safe and sound.
That was a very touching line YaeJay

But, the traffic in ECR has gotten worse with the increase in share autos, who behave as if the road belongs to them and everyone around them should follow them

Yesterday i had a very narrow escape of hitting a share auto near the Thiruvanmyur temple bus stop and lost my temper, but controlled my road rage and headed back to my house where my waiting canine wipped my anger clean from my face
jp2u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 21:24   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
That was a very touching line YaeJay

But, the traffic in ECR has gotten worse with the increase in share autos, who behave as if the road belongs to them and everyone around them should follow them

Yesterday i had a very narrow escape of hitting a share auto near the Thiruvanmyur temple bus stop and lost my temper, but controlled my road rage and headed back to my house where my waiting canine wipped my anger clean from my face

They (share autos) have always been nasty, the little share auto stop sign boards that one sees along is just a little hint the cops are giving them. From my observation they are better behaved these days. Ofcourse, we do get a few movie star fans among them. That said, the Tata ace kind would only be the authorized share autos. The biggest problem with share autos is that they pull off the road without a warning or get back in without a hint, they brake at signals and what not. Ofcourse, they are not testing their brakes, its only because they have customers who want to get off or get on then and there. Hmm ok with fisher folk.

But, I have seen only the 'educated', well dressed, 'collared' aka name tag thing, (That says I am so and so, working in some MNC, etc etc. A tag around their neck advertising the company, for which they have sold their soul. And they feel human only when that is around their neck! Even my pets don't wear that collar 24/7!) that want to get off right at that signal, bus stand that intersection etc.

Next time you see a share auto pull off the road or braking all of a sudden, check who waved. It wouldn't be some fisher folk. It would bet the educated tagged breed. I guess its not fair to expect the auto wallahs to show more intelligence than our learned friends?

Next up is to mark all the tasmac shops enroute, No, not to get high, but, to warn our friends to watch out for morons with all but 2 pegs and in GOD mode. Had one dancing Kathak in front of my car, ( onam special) talkin some vijay/ rajini movie dialogue. Scolding me for 'not stopping' or perhaps 'honking' ( I had stopped a good 80 ft ahead with plenty of cars behind me).

Hmm perhaps we can have a what we do not like on ECR meet?

One bit of advice, never get into an argument with share auto or auto drivers in their territory. Diffuse the situation as early as possible. They have nothing but their egos. Best bet is to be defensive. I know its not a fair world. But of course, if you drive along on some SUV with a flag post, things would be different.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 23:14   #854
Senior - BHPian

The drive in Chennai city is not a drive it is a driving of defence. I always feel that I have to escape from the monster buses on both sides mercilessly narrowing you in between.The mini trucks are always scaring me. Any how I do the circus mostly Velachery signal,Teynampet signal.T Nagar, Santhome signal and so on. Let us pray for every day an incident free day for all our members in Chennai.
Old 16th September 2011, 23:35   #855
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep. The best drive is a boring drive. Delightfully uneventful .

These last few years of driving here have been, for me, a crash course (well, one crash and lots of bumps and scrapes!) in anger management, aggression control, and, yes, defensive driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks