Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 00:23   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Share autos are really pests on the road, they should be organised or called off from the road. They drive like maniacs and most often reason for trffic jams in narrow road. They are really a menace.*
One such example i remember seen by first hand by one of my friend on OMR, JUST after tidel park. One share auto guys after dropping the passanger got on the road very rashly. one guy Was coming on bike with his daughter(18-20 years old) sitting on back. The auto hits the guy on the bike he gets unbalanced and the auto Goes on without stopping. But what happened next really made my eyes wet. The guy on the bike hits the divider and somehow his daughter fell on the other side of the road and one bus ran over her. My friend who was coming in his new car behind the bus coudnt see the girl and his front tyres also hit her, as he explanined her body was below his car when he opened the car door. Looking at all blood and body he was really shaken then the usual stuff starts. Police asks him to not move the car and told him that she died because his negligence but thanks to some people watching all this he managed to get out because the girl was already dead :(. The guy was so freaked out that he sold his first car in next 2-3 weeks. The girl died without any mistake and the real culprit share auto didnt even stopped.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 17th September 2011 at 00:24.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 03:16   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Horrific story. Nightmare stuff.
Old 17th September 2011, 06:59   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
My friend who was coming in his new car behind the bus coudnt see the girl and his front tyres also hit her, as he explanined her body was below his car when he opened the car door.
It is very important to leave atleast 2 car lengths while following heavy vehicles, viz, buses and Tipper Lorries that clip like bat out of hell.

I see these sand lorries doing their drag upto 120 kph [registered in my old car many years ago] and driving like cinema heroes without a heed for anybody on the GST road beyond Tambaram.

The best bet is to let them GO. Or overtake them a clip @ 160 if you find the road and the space to do it.

Share Autos..the less said the better!!
Old 17th September 2011, 07:51   #859
Senior - BHPian

Chennai police has not guts to do anything about these share autos or mini vans. Look at the menace these share autos and mini vans create just after getting down from Guindy railway bridge. THey just clog the road and the ones who suffer are common man trying to get back to home after work.

Just because of this clog it takes 20 minutes to cross this junction.

Chennai traffic police is just a weak force doing nothing. I am losing all respect for them.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:10   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
Chennai police has not guts to do anything about these share autos or mini vans. Look at the menace these share autos and mini vans create just after getting down from Guindy railway bridge. THey just clog the road and the ones who suffer are common man trying to get back to home after work.

Just because of this clog it takes 20 minutes to cross this junction.

Chennai traffic police is just a weak force doing nothing. I am losing all respect for them.
Am with vw on this. Chennai city police first needs to follow rules and set examples for citizens. Mtc busses, autos, mini vans, trucks seemed to be exempted from following any traffic safety !

Off late I am seeing cyclists and pedestrians walking besides median !
Old 17th September 2011, 09:29   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Am with vw on this. Chennai city police first needs to follow rules and set examples for citizens. Mtc busses, autos, mini vans, trucks seemed to be exempted from following any traffic safety !

Off late I am seeing cyclists and pedestrians walking besides median !
While I agree with you guys on the Share Autos and Autos, it must be noted that 85% if them are owned by the cops as per a survey sometime back.

Hence they are exempted from all rules.

MTC are demiGods period.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:41   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
While I agree with you guys on the Share Autos and Autos, it must be noted that 85% if them are owned by the cops as per a survey sometime back.

Hence they are exempted from all rules.

MTC are demiGods period.
Agree with you on this, i know a constable who owns 4 auto's, imagine the SI's and Inspectors

MTC, SETC, etc.. OWN the roads

Last edited by jp2u : 17th September 2011 at 09:42.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:07   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
It is very important to leave atleast 2 car lengths while following heavy vehicles, viz, buses and Tipper Lorries that clip like bat out of hell.

I see these sand lorries doing their drag upto 120 kph [registered in my old car many years ago] and driving like cinema heroes without a heed for anybody on the GST road beyond Tambaram.

The best bet is to let them GO. Or overtake them a clip @ 160 if you find the road and the space to do it.

Share Autos..the less said the better!!
I know man but in traffic you can not leave so much space between. He was not doing more than 60kmph. But everything happened so quickly. He could not react.
Old 17th September 2011, 13:20   #864
BHPian

Share autos in Chennai are perfect example of how politicians/bureaucrats strike a double blow to make quick buck

Share autos (Tata Magic) are a very good alternate mode of public transport if properly regulated. Govt could have given stage carrier permits on selected feeder routes and given the permits to unemployed youth after crash course on road manners with a bank loan to buy the vehicle. They could have helped unemployed youth as well as solved the transport issue to a level.

But these vehicles are on contract carrier permit and technically not allowed to be used a share auto. So all sorts influential and powerful guys (you know who) own these vehicles in scores and their underlings become the drivers with absolutely no regard for rules.
Old 18th September 2011, 01:13   #865
Senior - BHPian

Not only the share autos, Minivans but also think of the party flagged Sumo,Scorpio also honk like ambulance emergency and scare at us if we don't give way immediately.Some Policemen should bell these cats. As many say they don't have guts it will go on like this, the system won't change but the flags will change when the Government changes.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:26   #866
BHPian

Today morning there was hell of traffic mayhem around Saidapet. This was due to a road rokko act at Taluk office road (between Little mount and Raj Bhavan) in peak hours around 8:30 - 9:00 am and beyond. The least said about the sensibility behind this act (for whatever reason it is), the better.
So I refrain myself from commenting on it.
There was some update by Chennai City Traffic police also in Facebook. Alas I failed to check it prior, and ended up spending time in road from 8:45 till 10:30 just to reach T-nagar from Pallikaranai thru Velachery main Road, so too hundreds of hapless other victims from other areas. Tried 2 different routes in between to avoid getting stuck, but ended up coming to the same point again to continue in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 20th September 2011, 00:06   #867
Senior - BHPian

For those that use the road from Jain college junction on OMR towards Kamakshi hospital (dont know the name of the road), be careful about a real bad pothole somewhere 1km before the hospital junction - not sure how to point out the exact location - this is on the lane adjacent to the median. Last week, I ran over it and it felt bad and made a mental note to be careful in future. Tonight, I forgot the mental note and the racket the car made when it went over it made my heart stop - I hope I am not in for another drive-shaft change due to this stupid crater on the road.
Old 20th September 2011, 00:32   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

More rains... More stupid craters.

I'm betting that what's left of the North-bound lane of the ECR, South of Thiruvanmiyur, where it has been been reduced to one lane by digging and never been repaired, will disintegrate completely

Hope your car is ok.
Old 20th September 2011, 00:46   #869
Senior - BHPian

@Thad, the car seems OK, atleast for now - after the hit, I was driving with a/c and audio off, to "hear" any abnormal sounds. Did not hear any - so assume things are OK, but the hit was bad.

Sometimes I wonder why you are wasting your time here in India, instead of being someplace in the UK. :-)
Old 20th September 2011, 02:39   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Now why on earth would I be wasting my time someplace in UK?

Most Viewed