Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 09:58   #976
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by accentgiri View Post
Today morning, as usual from my home reached the Kotturpuram main road and took a left turn, lot of police personnel were deployed and you were permitted to travel only in half of the road....
On reaching the end of the road I have to take a right turn to Guindy, instead I was asked to proceed to Adayar...
Checked up with the police man standing there, just asked what is the reason for diversion... by slowing the vehicle I should not have asked any thing...
His answer was "Go and complain wherever you want" don't slow, just keep on moving....
A bad day... I blamed my self and wasted precious 15 more minutes by unnecessarily travelling upto Madhya Kailash and taking a U turn there to travel back to Cancer hospital...
Traffic lights were switched off in the police personnel deployed areas and the signals were manned manually...
I think the CM is taking this route to go to airport today to attend case at Bengaluru...

I don't know when the politicians will stop intefering in the comman mans routines... by stopping , diverting them, etc.. during peak hours
The same politican travelled in the same route without all these when they were not in power.
Today Unnecssary waste of time about 20 min...
Waste of precious fuel
Bad mood for the day after getting a harsh wording from the policeman....
I know how you feel.
All this for someone who is going to attend a case on DA ?
Why should the state/govt spend for these jokers to attend their personal cases?
In a country which spends 16+crores on kasab why will it not spend for corrupt politicos.
I share your angst.

cheers
Old 1st December 2011, 12:29   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Barring a few decent blokes I have come across, indecency has been part of Chennai folklore since 1980s(that's about as far as my memory goes).

I once lodged a complaint with the Transport Minister sometime in 1989 against a PTC Conductor who was rather crass ; got an ack from the Minister and a letter from the PTC MD who said the guy had been suspended(not sure if this actually happened though).

The most recent was just a few day back-when I lamblasted a Security guard of Guest Hotel near Ega for his ungentlemanly behaviour.

Two incidents that stand out in favour of Chennai -

1.the RTO ,Chennai Central , gave my Dad a temp regn and a permanent regn. for our Luna in 1988 in just 20 minutes;no extra money.The regn. no. was TSL ***
2.a cop patiently "counselled" a guy who was attempting to ride on the wrong side on Harrington Road.This was May2009
Old 1st December 2011, 12:37   #978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
2.a cop patiently "counselled" a guy who was attempting to ride on the wrong side on Harrington Road.This was May2009
Many many years back, a cop did the same for me. He might have ended up saving my life as I became a rather careful rider after his "talk".

God bless him.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 12:46   #979
BHPian

These days we see so many road rages and incidents. Afterll all of us want is peace on the roads and safe tension free drives.

Is this something that we can work out together? How about coming up with a model and pushing the government and police to support?? I am in and expect like minded folks in tbhp to support and am sure we can bring about the change that we want to see.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:03   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

Was it India's own Gandhi who said. "Be the change you want to see?"

I guess that's where we start. Sadly, I am often far from living up to the ideal.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:36   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Was it India's own Gandhi who said. "Be the change you want to see?"

I guess that's where we start. Sadly, I am often far from living up to the ideal.
Sorry couldnt get your last sentence.
But if we see there is some mutual returns , am sure we can see it happening
Old 1st December 2011, 15:37   #982

This is a very detailed description. But Sterling missed out on one thing. The Piaggio Ape luggage vehicle with the rear carrier part much wider that the front. Dont know how to escape from them. They normally attack only when your car is stationary
Old 1st December 2011, 21:24   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Sorry couldnt get your last sentence.
I meant that I can quote all sorts of good things, but I don't necessarily do them all.
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:37   #984
Senior - BHPian

Welcome move, let's see what happens!

Quote:
Now people can flood Corporation with suggestions

Flood prevention measures and improving the quality of roads and public facilities will be accorded top priority by the Chennai Corporation, said its new Commissioner P.W.C. Davidar, who assumed office on Thursday.

Speaking to presspersons, he said steps would be taken to prevent flooding during the next monsoon. “We are looking for permanent solutions. The Corporation has done a lot of studies on water-logging. We will approach the public and residents welfare associations and take their suggestions on what needs to be done to prevent flooding. Residents, who have been living in the localities for several years, would know better. The solutions might be simple and cost-effective. We will match our studies with the suggestions,” he said.

Towards this, the Corporation has created an email account. The residents can send their suggestions to stopflooding@chennaicorporation.gov.in. The suggestions could be handed at special counters in the respective Zonal offices on or before December 16. A form is available for the purpose at the counters.

The suggestion on how flooding can be stopped should also be accompanied by a simple diagram. A simple format has also been provided to enable easy follow up. While the specific suggestions can be sent by email, any attachment of a sketch or diagram of the solution should be made into a PDF format for submission.
“During the rains, a lot of people open the sewer manhole covers to let rainwater into them. If a proper stormwater drain network is put in place, this could be avoided and there will not be any water on the roads,” he added. In the next 10 days, patchwork would be taken on roads. “But before re-laying the roads, we will ensure that water-logging is not there. We don't want to waste money re-laying the roads,” he said. Mr. Davidar said better coordination with various government agencies, including Chennai Metrowater, Chennai Telephones and Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (TANGEDCO) would be achieved to ensure that the disturbance is minimised, including road cuts, when their projects are implemented.

On facilities in Chennai Schools, bus stands and markets, he said that the Chennai Corporation would ensure that platforms, roads and public conveniences are available. Earlier, the outgoing Commissioner, D. Karthikeyan, who has since been transferred to Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies Corporation, as its managing director, handed over charge to Mr.Davidar.

The new Commissioner convened a meeting of the Corporation officials in the evening and underscored the need for permanent solutions to prevent flooding. “The Chief Minister is intent on preventing flooding in the city,” he told the meeting, according to sources.

Source
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:12   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
These days we see so many road rages and incidents. Afterll all of us want is peace on the roads and safe tension free drives.

Is this something that we can work out together? How about coming up with a model and pushing the government and police to support?? I am in and expect like minded folks in tbhp to support and am sure we can bring about the change that we want to see.

Rule #1: No overtaking from the left side

Rule #2: No honking like a madman - I find some bikers keep the horn button pressed more than riding the bike!

Rule #3: No chucking rubbish / plastic / bottle down the road - They ultimately clog the drainage system or whatever is left of it.

Rule #4: No zigzag driving - If anyone wants a drag - I'm game anytime, but lets take it to the track!!!

Rule #5: Be courteous to old people crossing the road

Rule #6: Give way to others, if you come across a traffic pile up - This act would release the congestion within minutes, rather than going up the wrong way and trying to "SQUEEEEEEZE" thru!

Rule #7: Remember, there is a reverse gear and it does not hurt to reverse, even if you are RIGHT!!
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:34   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I always remember this incident that took place few months back in the Gandhi Mandapam road. I was proceeding towards Chamiers road and had crossed the Library signal and was about to cross the next junction. Seeing a elderly person (with a walking stick) waiting to cross the road, I slowed down and stopped just in front of him and gestured him to cross the road. He started crossing slowly and just as he was crossing raised his hand/palm in a way of blessing me.

It was such a touching thing.

When I mention about a good thing I did, I also want to do a confession!

Was driving from SIET towards TTK road. It was around 8-9am. There was a bit of traffic and it was just clearing up when suddenly one school guy came in front of me and stopped as it is. I got a bit furious and honked a couple of times. Only then I realized that, he is doing some traffic regulation and helping school kids to cross the road. Realizing my fault, I lowered my window and apologized to him.

Last edited by callvvijay : 3rd December 2011 at 10:36.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:22   #987
BHPian

The incident that happened this morning.

I was driving on a cross road and almost at the cross road junction waiting to see if there is any buses crossing or vehicles passing as that was the main road.
An Autowala coming from the main road wanted to take the right and he was almost ready to take the right turn towards the right most end of the cross road. I mean it is actually the left of this cross road side where i was waiting. He started to abuse me saying i was blocking the road.

Here is the pictorial representation

This literally pissed me off and i wanted to get down and bang him down and teach him a lesson or two about what is right or left to this bloody hell of a driver.

Atlast realised there is no point because he is certainly nuts and does not make sense for me to lose my cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-untitled.png  

Old 3rd December 2011, 14:05   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This one I have entirely given up on. It is, though, the one time when I actually appreciate honking when somebody lets me know they are doing it.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:27   #989
BANNED

Quote:

Rule #2: No honking like a madman - I find some bikers keep the horn button pressed more than riding the bike!

Rule #3: No chucking rubbish / plastic / bottle down the road - They ultimately clog the drainage system or whatever is left of it.

Rule #4: No zigzag driving - If anyone wants a drag - I'm game anytime, but lets take it to the track!!!

Rule #6: Give way to others, if you come across a traffic pile up - This act would release the congestion within minutes, rather than going up the wrong way and trying to "SQUEEEEEEZE" thru!

Rule #7: Remember, there is a reverse gear and it does not hurt to reverse, even if you are RIGHT!!
Daily morning while leaving for office, I resolve that I should not get provoked by others behavior. The resolution lasts from my residence to Kathipara bridge after that you loose the resolution, with the attitude of the bikers overtaking me both from left and right hand sides after entering Mount Poonamalle High road (especially near the Jumma Masjid where the road is extremely narrow. Only one vehicle can pass at a time...)
Today morning a lady in scooty was overtaking me on my left hand side, while at the same time a biker with lot of tools in a gunny bag was overtaking me on the right hand side... All the tools are placed on his petrol tank managed by him with his legs without falling down....
A slight right turn to accommodate the lady on the left hand side, made the tools of this guy fall down from his petrol tank... as he has to put his leg down. The guy purposefully parked his two wheeler before my car to collect back the tools and started advising me travel properly in a straight line not to crisscross as if I have made a mistake
Even Honking goes unheard with these bikers.... they travel as they want.. move from left to right and right to left as if the entire road belongs to them..
Things I have observed while traveling to and from office...
1. Have a mobile phone in between your ears and helmet... (adjust it as when required without worrying about the nearby or following person in his vehicle)
2. Wife/lady at rear holding a phone to the rider, so that the biker can continue his chat over mobile
3. Have head phones plugged to ears & listen to music without worrying about horns or any other person traveling near by
4. Honk and make way from left hand side and move to right hand side
5. When you are parked in signal, just without leaving a single inch of space pack on to your left and right with two wheelers... as the signal turns green both will move to your front and get merged, you will still be in the same position, while the cab driver at your rear honks like hell as if we are not responding to signal or not making way for him..
Old 6th December 2011, 08:44   #990
Senior - BHPian

^^: The above post:

Are you from Chennai Sir?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks