Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 07:33   #1036
Team-BHP Support

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you just want to pay tax, you just have to pay tax. There is no additional paperwork involved.
I have heard of the same in Bangalore.

Unfortunately - RTO in Chennai does not seem to be following this policy. They insist of proper NOC and re-registration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I just got our company vehicle shifted from a Chennai RTO to another RTO in TN and all I did was a change of address after getting a NOC from the registered RTO.
Shifting from one RTO to the other within the same state only constitutes to a 'change of address'. For other state vehicles (with NOC also), they wont allow a change of address and insist on re-registration to a TN numberplate.
Old 17th February 2012, 08:27   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Unfortunately - RTO in Chennai does not seem to be following this policy. They insist of proper NOC and re-registration.

Shifting from one RTO to the other within the same state only constitutes to a 'change of address'. For other state vehicles (with NOC also), they wont allow a change of address and insist on re-registration to a TN numberplate.
PM / call me - let me see if I can help you
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 10:08   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose you have to insist. My experience is in Hyderabad, where I drove a TN-07 car for years. I had a neighbour who was an RTO MVI, who assisted me in getting the tax-paid certificate - all he needed was a DD for the tax amount (which he calculated), copies of the invoice, RC & insurance cover note and a PUC. Every time I was stopped, I would just flash that certificate and was allowed to go (if you are in Hyd, two places where RTO staff will definitely catch you - in front of NIFT in Madhapur and at the signal under the flyover near the secretariat).

So now I have a car which can be legitimately used in two states - not too sure if the resale value goes up because of that
Old 17th February 2012, 10:40   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Came back to Singara Chennai in November 2011 after about 2 years out of the country, and boy am I happy to be not driving! I have used my car sparingly, either coming with my friend on the days I head to work, or taking the company bus. It is a little bit of inconvenience, but with traffic/road condition and fuel prices, am better of being only a weekend driver!
PS: Today I drove to work, started at 815 AM and just beat the peak traffic time and got to office in about 25 minutes (Adyar to Thoraipakkam)..
Old 17th February 2012, 11:06   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard of the same in Bangalore.

There is something called an entry tax which is valid for a specific period, that should be enough. Talk to a driving school, they are all RTO brokers.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 11:42   #1041
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Hopefully not true. I have an MH registered car parked in Chennai at the moment, and the nearest I can take it out is end of April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
It is true and it is an OLD rule..
TAMIL NADU MOTOR VEHICLE TAXATION ACT, 1974

Motor Vehicles Inspector and above + Sub- Inspector and above have the right to seize vehicles if they believe that the due tax has not been paid.
Quote:
Seizure and detention of motor vehicles pending production of proof of payment of tax.

18-A) Any officer of the Transport Department not below the rank of a Motor Vehicles Inspector, Grade-II, or any police officer in uniform not below the rank of a Sub-Inspector may, if he has reason to believe that any motor vehicle is used or kept for use in the State without of paying the tax due in respect of that vehicle under this Act, seize and detain that vehicle and make arrangements for the temporary safe custody of that vehicle pending production of proof of payment of the tax due in respect of that vehicle under this Act.

Provided that if the proof of payment of the tax due in respect of the motor vehicle seized and detained under this section is not produced within ninety days from the date of seizure and detention of the motor vehicle, any officer of the Transport Department authorized by the Government in this behalf shall sell the motor vehicle in auction in such manner as may be prescribed and apply the sale proceeds towards recovery of tax, penalty or costs incurred, if any, in the sale of such motor vehicle. The reminder shall be refunded to the registered owner or the person having possession or control of the motor vehicle at the time of seizure.

Provided further that, if at any time before auction of the motor vehicle, the tax, penalty or cost incurred, if any, in arranging the auction of the motor vehicle, is paid, then the authorized officer may, after satisfying that all the dues as aforesaid have been fully paid, cancel the auction and return the motor vehicle to the registered owner or the person having possession or control of the vehicle at the time of seizure.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th February 2012 at 11:44.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:26   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motor Vehicles Inspector and above + Sub- Inspector and above have the right to seize vehicles if they believe that the due tax has not been paid.
Yep, seems conclusive. The only point of contention would be about "due tax" - ie, whether tax is due only if the vehicle is used for more than 12 months in the state (TN). My non-legal reading of the two acts seem to indicate this is the "correct" position.
Old 17th February 2012, 13:32   #1043
Senior - BHPian

both the posts do NOT talk about re registration..

What is said about taxes is true
Old 17th February 2012, 13:33   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TAMIL NADU MOTOR VEHICLE TAXATION ACT, 1974
More relevant towards out of state cars or "Imported" cars. Imported simply means from out of state, not out of the country, the definition in the ACT says so;
THE TAMIL NADU TAX ON ENTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES TO LOCAL AREAS ACT, 1990 (ACT NO. XIII OF 1990)
Quote:
15-A. Impounding of motor vehicle
If an importer liable to pay tax fails to pay the tax in the manner prescribed, then the competent authority shall forthwith impound the motor vehicle in respect of which tax has not been paid and keep -the-motor vehicle impounded till the amount of tax and penalty due and payable in respect of such motor vehicle is paid in full:
Provided that, if the amount of tax and penalty is not paid within one month of impounding of the motor vehicle, the competent authority shall have power to sell the motor vehicle by auction in such manner as may be prescribed and apply the sale proceeds towards recovery of the tax, penalty and costs if any, incurred in the sale of such motor vehicle. The remainder, if any, shall be refunded to such importer:
Provided further that, if, at any time before the auction of the motor vehicle, the importer pays the tax, penalty and costs, if any, then, the competent authority may after satisfying that all the dues as aforesaid have been fully paid by the importer, cancel the auction and return the motor vehicle to the importer.
Explanation.- For the purpose of this section competent authority' means the assessing authority and such other person or authority authorised by the Government by notification, to perform the functions of the competent authority under this section.
From here
http://www.tnvat.gov.in/English/ENTR...LE_ACT1990.pdf

But then even the entry tax is only a precursor to re-registration. So I guess you were right, no facility as in KA.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 17th February 2012 at 13:34.
Old 20th February 2012, 06:51   #1045
BHPian

It is such a foggy morning in Chennai today. I was watching at 6:30 in morning and thinking - traffic and flight delays should be the norm this morning (& hoping everyone drives safe) - on a nice Monday morning.
Every day brings full of surprises to you.
Cheers - Happy week ahead.
:-)
Old 20th February 2012, 08:58   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
It is such a foggy morning in Chennai today. I was watching at 6:30 in morning and thinking - traffic and flight delays should be the norm this morning (& hoping everyone drives safe) - on a nice Monday morning.
Every day brings full of surprises to you.
Cheers - Happy week ahead.
:-)
Early morning flight delayed by couple of hours.

Few Pics from my FB friends...
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-fog1.jpg  

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-fog2.jpg  

Old 20th February 2012, 11:03   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Chennai was so foggy that my new doggy refused to go out..he wanted warmer indoors and a playful terrace.

Was surprised to see so much fog.

Good for us that chennai is still warmer if not hot like it was last year by Jan itself.
Old 20th February 2012, 13:42   #1048
Senior - BHPian

When I boarded the train to Chennai yesterday late evening at Kerala, it was hot&stuffy and while going to bed, I wished it were a little colder. My wish came true after midnight while the train was running through TN when it became real chilly and I had to get a bedspread out. The moment I read ThePunter's post about foggy Chennai around 7:30AM (was near Katpadi then), I looked out the windows and it was indeed foggy. And it stayed that way till near Chennai, even though the time was close to 9AM.

BTW, this winter was one of the best we had in Chennai for as far back as I can remember. Till mid-Feb, the weather was good even during daytime. While it is global warming elsewhere, looks like it is global chilling over TN. And the monsoons were also more than normal in 2011.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 13:46   #1049
Senior - BHPian

^^: Wait till the Summers - I expect it to touch 48!!
Old 20th February 2012, 13:56   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Unbelievable traffic on Arya Gowda Road - Brindavan Street crossing. We wanted to go to pondy bazaar but after driving a kilometer in 30 minutes, we turned and came back.
Well, this is absolutely true. I have been residing in this area (postal colony to be precise) right from the day i was born and have seen the way this particular road has gone from bad to worse day by day.

The key reasons being, indisciplined driving attitute right from two wheelers to heavy buses, without saying goes the fact Auto's and share auto;s are two maniacs who cause most of the trouble. The junction near panigraha wedding hall with show the true attitude of our fellow citizens. one would not be ready to leave way to the other and also people would overtake at the extreme right causing even more worser situation.

The only solution to this is people realizing they are the root cause of this traffic jams and unless self discipline kicks in nothing really can be done. Sorry state of affairs again.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed