Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 20:00   #1321
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Well said about watching the chaos than being a part of it. On the other hand, I pity the van people, because, sensing the opportunity to earn krishna jayanthi bonus, I am sure our RTO and CCTP are milking these vehicles as per their family needs. If their children want a big TV, stop the buses, raid the schools, transport companies and if the kids want just some sweets, then threaten the van drivers en route and milk some bucks out. This obviously forces them to go the strike way.
Pity the Van People ?? Surprised, these guys need to be taught a lesson.

This incident happened in my daughter's school on Monday. As usual the Van guys dropped the kids at School. Suddenly they decide to start the strike. None of these guys turned up to pick the kids in the afternoon. Poor children were waiting in school. The parents and school had no idea. Then the school authorities had to call each parent and asked them to pick up the kids.

Atleast these Van guys should have a basic courtesy of informing the parents in advance.
Old 10th August 2012, 01:48   #1322

What are the best roads in Chennai(in and around Adyar) to TD a vehicle( Jag XF, M5)?
Old 10th August 2012, 07:59   #1323
BHPian

I was longing and yearning to take my SUV offroad but now that's possible with the metro rail stretch between Guindy-Kasi Theatre!!!
Old 10th August 2012, 08:48   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Took me over 3 hours to go to Guindy from Thuraipakkam yesterday
If it rains, the best time to leave is by 5pm or after 830pm, anywhere inbetween you are a dead man!

One place where it jams without a bad road or speed bump is near the Hot Chips on Sardar Patel Road. Once you cross that bylane its virtually empty most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I was longing and yearning to take my SUV offroad but now that's possible with the metro rail stretch between Guindy-Kasi Theatre!!!
Has it gone so bad ? Few months back, main roads and streets in T.Nagar offered many offroad opportunities. Right now, the street next to Raj Palace offers some.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:06   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80
One place where it jams without a bad road or speed bump is near the Hot Chips on Sardar Patel Road.
All thanks to the flyover at IIT that they put up without any thought or planning. If done with some thought, this flyover could have eased traffic at Madhya Kailash, Kotturpuram junction etc apart from SP Road itself. Not sure what they were smoking when they put that 1-way flyover up there which does not seem to help traffic from any direction. Those going from Kotturpuram to RajBhavan or MKailash have to wait for signal. Same for people from MKailash to KPuram or RajBhavan. From RajBhavan to KPuram is again signal dependent. The only stream that gets unhindered flow is those from RajBhavan to MKailash and again once they get off the flyover (infact sometimes traffic is backed up for a long distance on flyover itself during peak hours), they drive straight into a bottleneck at HotChips.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th August 2012 at 14:07.
Old 10th August 2012, 14:51   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
All thanks to the flyover at IIT that they put up without any thought or planning. If done with some thought, this flyover could have eased traffic at Madhya Kailash, Kotturpuram junction etc apart from SP Road itself. Not sure what they were smoking when they put that 1-way flyover up there which does not seem to help traffic from any direction. Those going from Kotturpuram to RajBhavan or MKailash have to wait for signal. Same for people from MKailash to KPuram or RajBhavan. From RajBhavan to KPuram is again signal dependent. The only stream that gets unhindered flow is those from RajBhavan to MKailash and again once they get off the flyover (infact sometimes traffic is backed up for a long distance on flyover itself during peak hours), they drive straight into a bottleneck at HotChips.
Same what I was thinking when they were constructing this flyover. Same goes true with Usman road. There are many more flyovers today in chennai than trees. It has become a fashion for every govt. to build atleast 5 flyovers to its name, irrespective whether that thing serves the purpose or not.
OTOH, there was a plan to construct another flyover at Madhyakailash correct? The only flyover I find useful is the Malar hospital one, when one comes from Rajaannamalaipuram (adayar tree/aavin) side towards adayar bus stand/thiruvanmiyur, because it bypasses the signal and one route leads into thiruvanmiyur side and other lands directly near adayar bus depot.

There was a report in hindu/dinamalar that Corporation has alloted some crores for beautification of the Marian beach. Why to beautify only the same portion again and again? That report also had a statistic on beautification works done in this stretch by every govt. and how much money was wasted on it.(I will try to dig it out and post it here or someone who has it please share it.)

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 10th August 2012 at 14:55.
Old 10th August 2012, 17:03   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
(infact sometimes traffic is backed up for a long distance on flyover itself during peak hours)
I literally hold my breath when waiting atop this bridge. You can feel the vibrations like the bridge is going to collapse any moments
Old 10th August 2012, 17:36   #1328
BHPian

Have you tried the bridge that takes off from North Usman Road near Viveks, across the railway line and down towards Kodambakkam station?

The bridge starts off wonderfully but ends into chaos. Also, the entry point near Viveks is reasonably broad but it narrows down at the exit so only one vehiclle can go thru.

Wonder what will happen if the other leg of the 'Y' over the railway line that opens into Rangarajapuram opens up.
Old 10th August 2012, 18:55   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OTOH, there was a plan to construct another flyover at Madhyakailash correct?
Yes, I vaguely remember the plan involved encroaching CLRI land which CLRI wasn't willing to give.

Quote:
The only flyover I find useful is the Malar hospital one, when one comes from Rajaannamalaipuram (adayar tree/aavin) side towards adayar bus stand/thiruvanmiyur, because it bypasses the signal and one route leads into thiruvanmiyur side and other lands directly near adayar bus depot.
You forget Kathipara. You should've seen the traffic situation before construction. Though confusing for newbies, its the best thing that happened. Probably Vandalur, Padi elevated roundabouts helped reduce jams.

Blame them on the existing width of the roads, most bridge hence are fairly unscientific. Cenotaph Road, Mahalingapuram, Usman are few of them.

I wonder how the Porur junction is going to transpire
Old 10th August 2012, 20:25   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only flyover I find useful is the Malar hospital one, when one comes from Rajaannamalaipuram (adayar tree/aavin) side towards adayar bus stand/thiruvanmiyur, because it bypasses the signal and one route leads into thiruvanmiyur side and other lands directly near adayar bus depot.
I wouldn't fully agree with this. Both our children were born at the Malar, and we live on the ECR. So, going back home from Malar after every gynec visit would involve going all the way across the bridge and traversing the entire triangle at the other end to get onto the southbound lane.

Also the one-lane exit from the flyover onto LB Road creates more problems than it solves. It creates bottlenecks on LB Road in both directions where it merges with the road at surface level.

(So after a while I started parking in one of the bylanes of Gandhi Nagar and then returning to the main Adyar signal through such lanes. But then you are not allowed onto LB Road at this signal, so I would turn onto SP Road and take a U-turn at the next roundabout (or turn into Besant Road)).

The one junction in south Chennai that is screaming for a flyover is the one at Thiruvanmiyur. Signal-free access between ECR and OMR in both directions, as well as clean access to the bus stand for MTC buses.
Old 12th August 2012, 09:04   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand

The one junction in south Chennai that is screaming for a flyover is the one at Thiruvanmiyur. Signal-free access between ECR and OMR in both directions, as well as clean access to the bus stand for MTC buses.
Couple of more pain points. Vijaynagar, Velachery Junction is a real pain. Road expansion is also on hold cos a reputed BPO will not shift its Generators.
Coming from velachery, checkpost is another pain area. Traffic gets jammed there cos of a pot hole. This is happening for months.
Old 12th August 2012, 10:47   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Perungalathur is the no 1 spot which badly needs a quick flyover. May be max within 1 year.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 16:40   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Now on certain hours they convert the IIT bridge into two-way, i.e., while going from Madhya Kailash to Raj Bhavan, we can take the bridge or drive below. Surely indicates lack of planning. Ideally they should have landed the bridge after Madhya Kailash and at KB Nagar, increase width of the bridge a bit and make it a permanent two-way. That would have been great and would have eased the congestion at Madhya Kailash junction.

Similar situation at T.Nagar overbridge. They should have landed the bridge after the signal/Mambalam bus station. But then, MTC buses would have a difficult time reaching the station.
Old 15th August 2012, 22:53   #1334
BHPian

Guys driving on the 200 ft Radial Road (Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam) beware !! I regularly use this stretch and I can tell u 8 out 10 times I have seen cops with radar detectors in their Qualis. The road is pretty smooth and well marked and as a result we tend to hit speeds of 80+ comfortably but after I was notified by another member that speed limit is 60. I have taken care to avoid crossing that limit on this road. So watch out.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:07   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Honestly the speed limit for our cops changes every day. Best way is to stick to a decent 50-60 kmph in this road. Also take it easy on these roads for there will be ugly drivers all around and unruly motorist who seem to not take the idea of riding on the left side of the road. I dont mind motorist blocking left side of the road and not giving space for speeding cars to overtake from left.

What i hate is to see a slow moving motorbike on the right lane creating a nuisance to slightly faster moving cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks