Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 09:27   #1381
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I thought Sun film is banned in Chennai - Can you clarify the same?

Ya you are right sunfilm is banned in Chennai but cops don't remove it once they find it but fine it, so you can manage with one till you visit other states but the rider is to keep 100 rupee note in your dash ready.
Old 16th October 2012, 21:27   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers

I thought Sun film is banned in Chennai - Can you clarify the same?
Yes sun film is banned here too. But still lot of cars still have the sun films and infact even the brand new ones install dark films inspite of the ban!
Old 18th October 2012, 20:04   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Ya you are right sunfilm is banned in Chennai but cops don't remove it once they find it but fine it, so you can manage with one till you visit other states but the rider is to keep 100 rupee note in your dash ready.
Cops will not remove it - WE ought to do it sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Yes sun film is banned here too. But still lot of cars still have the sun films and infact even the brand new ones install dark films inspite of the ban!
A lot of people are happy disobeying all the rules and paying the fines - so does that mean we "educated" fellas disobey too
Old 19th October 2012, 15:39   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Early mornings on ECR is a different ball-game altogether as I learnt the Sunday before last when I did a quick trip to Pondy to meet a friend - left at 6AM and back in Chennai at 1PM.

Lot of cyclists riding down to Mahabs or maybe even further down to Pondy (?)
You also see super-bikes zipping past and ofcourse the super-cars. So much activity so early in the morning. Was amazing !!!
@SupremeBaleno - there is a group called Chain Reaxion which organizes the rides (provides rental cycles as well if you need) from Thiruvanmiyur to Mahabs and you take the PTC Volvo back. I have done it 3 times so far - good fun. The superbikes are a standard fixture as well. Saw some exotics early morning as well.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:06   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
The new car dealers convince the customers. If asked about the sunfilm ban rule, their reply is that it is for other states only. They even charge 10 to 15k for the sunfilm.
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 16:29   #1386
BHPian

If you need to show your 4x4 capabilities, there is a place well within city limits.
Try the road from Kathipara towards Jafferkhanpet / Ashokpillar. There is a stretch of road between Olympia tech park - Hilton - Ambal nagar. Whew...
Learners can take left lane while the right lane for experienced fellas.
iamswift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 19:04   #1387
Senior - BHPian

I did that road an hour ago in my Baleno. Man, pathetic. I thought the car won,t make it over some craters. Pity the car. Could hear the rear end bottoming. A PTC bus was stranded at a 45 deg angle in front of Olympia. OMR was also flooded. And to think we pay toll for that "IT expressway".
Guys, drive home safe.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 14:50   #1388
BHPian

The rains threw traffic out of gear really bad yesterday evening. Took me 3 hours to get home in Nungambakkam from office in Perungudi ! 1 hour to get to Tidel another 1 hour to get to T.Nagar bus stand and then 1 hour for the remainder.
Old 20th October 2012, 15:41   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
If you need to show your 4x4 capabilities, there is a place well within city limits.
Try the road from Kathipara towards Jafferkhanpet / Ashokpillar. There is a stretch of road between Olympia tech park - Hilton - Ambal nagar. Whew...
Learners can take left lane while the right lane for experienced fellas.
Bro, for a split second after I started reading your post, I thought you are really going to tell about some serious off-roading spot .Actually, there are lots and lots of 4 X 4 Territories that have cropped up in the city because of recent rain.

Today morning,A fellow motorcyclist fell down by misjudging a crater in Mudichur road. I helped him to the nearby hospital and it was anticipated to be a fracture. I was not able to wait for the results as I was rushing to office. I pray for him to be alright. after all, there was no mistake of him except misjudging the depth of the crater which obviously is not possible.

Be extra cautious friends. Make it a point to avoid riding/Driving through stagnate rain waters in addition to the usual safety precautions that we take while driving in rainy days.
kablu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 16:42   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
The rains threw traffic out of gear really bad yesterday evening. Took me 3 hours to get home in Nungambakkam from office in Perungudi ! 1 hour to get to Tidel another 1 hour to get to T.Nagar bus stand and then 1 hour for the remainder.
I got home from Shollinganallur office in 1.5 hours. Left office at 8.30p.m. sharp. Drove through the medavakkam road and reached velachery by 9.00p.m. Velachery to guindy in 20 minutes. Guindy to T nagar 20 minutes. T nagar to valluvar kottam to chetpet 15 minutes and chetpet to anna nagar 5 minutes.

Whenever it rains or i feel traffic is moving slow i re reoute through velachery. You can take the velachery route from perungudi too.
rajanprash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 20:02   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
And to think that we had a nice drive to work in the morning on OMR. There was some flooding opposite TIDEL and then at Jain college junction, but otherwise things were OK. And BTW, your Thar looked awesome. Especially in that shade of red (not sure what it is called). And unlike us car guys, you need not worry about any craters/potholes on the road.
Old 20th October 2012, 23:49   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Like every year, the frustrating thing, apart from the sheer state of the roads, is that the majority of drivers have no idea of making any difference at all to their driving style on account of rain or wet roads.
Old 21st October 2012, 07:26   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
OMR was also flooded. And to think we pay toll for that "IT expressway".
Guys, drive home safe.
The issue with flooding is dirt and trash thrown everywhere but the dustbins. We hardly have a culture for NOT throwing trash on the road.

All drains get clogged and hence the water stagnation, which worsens over time.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:42   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Bro, for a split second after I started reading your post, I thought you are really going to tell about some serious off-roading spot .Actually, there are lots and lots of 4 X 4 Territories that have cropped up in the city because of recent rain.

Today morning,A fellow motorcyclist fell down by misjudging a crater in Mudichur road. I helped him to the nearby hospital and it was anticipated to be a fracture. I was not able to wait for the results as I was rushing to office. I pray for him to be alright. after all, there was no mistake of him except misjudging the depth of the crater which obviously is not possible.

Be extra cautious friends. Make it a point to avoid riding/Driving through stagnate rain waters in addition to the usual safety precautions that we take while driving in rainy days.
Hey buddy.. where is the exact spot you had this? I live near by so curious to know
Good that you helped him

thanks,
R
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:26   #1395
BHPian

Driving on chennai roads have become a nightmare in the recent rains all thanks to the corporation which has taken things very lightly all these days. Most of the roads have been dug up on the pretext of cable laying and to close it back it take ages or unless a high profile politician passes by the stretch it gets closed.

The worst affected are the 2 wheeler riders getting into big pot holes and injuring themselves. And to top up the craters crushed bricks are put to close the craters formed making it even worse.

Sometimes wonder if we even have a govt functioning at our place!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks