Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 10:51   #1411
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I request Jaya amma to visit all around chennai. Atleast sanitation will improve for a week or so.

Fresh bleaching powder, clean roads, no irritating parking..ohhh what a dream.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 12:01   #1412
BHPian

Isn't it great to see everyone follow the traffic rules.

There is a signal at the Lamech School junction just beyond MegaMart at Alwarthirunagar. I pity this signal, nobody respects it, no one follows it. Whether the lights are Red, Amber or Green, people just ride on.

But surprise, surprise - last evening I saw all the vehicles waiting at the stop line, patience exemplified! Why, when one daring biker tried to jump the lights, right enough, out of nowhere a traffic cop emerged and stopped him.

And this morning, again, guys were showing the right blinkers for turning. Even the big vehicles gave way to the errant school kids on their cycles.

Sugar-n-spice and all things nice!
aabidansari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 16:57   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Wow. That's me. Sometimes I take vandalur-kelambakkam-Sholls route to office to avoid mad traffic at medavakkam.
Next time, just flash/honk, we could catch up.
Sure Brother. I usually travel to office by bike (Black HH Hunk) and roam around in a silver hyundai accent in weekends. They are yet to be t-bhp sticker-ed. Seems like its time to get them sticker-ed.
Old 29th October 2012, 20:10   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What is the point in having a drain inside which one could even drive a car if it does not serve the purpose for which it was built ?
You have hit the nail on the head.
The underground drains in our country is a joke.
I have seen "well" built drains, but the spouts connecting them with the road are at 1 feet above the road surface.
Also the tarmac needs to be sloped towards the drain point for efficient draining of rain water which is not usually done while laying the raods.
Above all the drains need to be clean and free of silt and garbage and plastics.
So there are lot of techniques involved in the design build and maintaining an efficient drain system which is unfortunately unheard of in our country.
The worst thing is that this happens in almost all the cities and even the newly built areas of New Delhi are no different.
This clearly shows where the problem lies.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:21   #1415
BHPian

Mad rain and super-mad traffic all over the city today. I started from home by 8.30 in the morning and reached office by 10:30. Distance is 19 Kms and I traveled by bike with a 20 mins stop near trisulam due to heavy downpour. God save the car users.

During my wait of 20 mins, this thing happened.
I was standing under Bus stop shade which is located at the start of the Trisulam bridge. all the vehicles passing the bridge suddenly started taking U-Turn and was trying to take the service road nearby. which caused a deadlock and I'm not sure whether its cleared or not till now. I passed the deadlock by maneuvering thru the gaps available. I came to know that the vehicles did that U-Turn thing because of the huge traffic block at the other end of the bridge.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:55   #1416
BHPian

How is the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road from the Kelambakkam side??
Old 30th October 2012, 13:04   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
How is the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road from the Kelambakkam side??
There are some realy bad patches along the road but otherwise its motor-able without any fuss. Just before you join kelambakkam you have the worst bad patch of all.
Not sure after today's rain, As i came through medavakkam-sholls since schools/college were off. Struck 25 mints in sholls toll plaza to turn to OMR.
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:25   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I request Jaya amma to visit all around chennai. Atleast sanitation will improve for a week or so.

Fresh bleaching powder, clean roads, no irritating parking..ohhh what a dream.

Yesterday Amma's team and other biggies paid a visit to Thevar Statue and the Mount Road and all adjoining roads were clogged for hours.
Old 31st October 2012, 15:02   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Today the roads are beautiful. I started from Mandaveli at 2 and reached perungalathur by 245. Unbelievable. Has happened only at night time. Never at 2PM

Thanks to Nilam
Old 31st October 2012, 15:07   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Chennai in the rains

Same here VW2010. Left late for work today around 11AM expecting mad traffic, but it was a pleasant drive in the rains. Traffic much lesser than normal (due to schools closed?) and it felt great to drive in the rain on almost free roads. Would have been fun to scoot work and get onto ECR for a long drive. If wishes were....

Some snaps of wet Chennai through the hazy windshield.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20121031-11.47.55.jpg

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20121031-11.48.48.jpg

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20121031-11.48.58.jpg

A biker bit off more than he chew when he rammed into the rear off an MTC bus just opposite Madhya Kailash temple on OMR. The front of the gearless scooter was a mess. Not sure of injuries to the biker as I passed the spot after the accident and only saw the bike/bus parked with some cops around.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 31st October 2012 at 15:08.
Old 31st October 2012, 17:41   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Around 520 it has gone completely silent with no rain, no wind nothing. Its like "OVER and OUT" - Definitively.

This is crazy
Old 31st October 2012, 17:54   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
There are some realy bad patches along the road but otherwise its motor-able without any fuss. Just before you join kelambakkam you have the worst bad patch of all.
Not sure after today's rain, As i came through medavakkam-sholls since schools/college were off. Struck 25 mints in sholls toll plaza to turn to OMR.
That's even more dangerous if you ask me.Just when you think you have crossed,a particularly bad patch comes up.This is some 2kms before VIT.Thank god for Osram 100/80 and ABS!!

Quote:
Around 520 it has gone completely silent with no rain, no wind nothing. Its like "OVER and OUT" - Definitively.

This is crazy
It is pretty windy since afternoon.It was quite windy in the bypass and now it is crazy windy at my place in Mogappair.Rain has just started though!!
Old 31st October 2012, 18:12   #1423
Senior - BHPian

My guess is that the eye of the storm was passing over for the last 20 mins or so..Now the winds are slowly picking up. Could be wrong.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:04   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is that the eye of the storm was passing over for the last 20 mins or so..Now the winds are slowly picking up. Could be wrong.
You are right, that would be the eye of the cyclone. Check the latest sat image which was less than an hour ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-india_sat_600x405.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 31st October 2012 at 19:05.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:47   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Our single casualty... one henna bush that flopped over like a piece of paper and is now lying across our drive. Tomorrow we will get some to attempt to replant it.

Apart from that, we have no power since before midday and no water in the overhead tank we are living out of a bucket!

That the storm was an anticlimax is just wonderful by me. I think though, that others didn't do as well, especially the poor coastal hut dwellers.

Most Viewed