Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 11:08   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
I am in chennai for the long weekend. My parents place is in Annanagar. I see...these folks ??
That's quite a bad experience; but does BLR or even NCR have anything different that this? This is the unity among our diversity.

This is nothing!!! 10 years from now, it would become highly unsafe & very dangerous to drive/ride on road. Reason? The roots are not strong; Education in all forms, right from children to driver's education is weak every where & that's why we see such things.

10 years ago all of us had a compulsory 10th & 12th public exams. From this year onwards, I heared, the 10th public exams are going to go away for good. Probably Govt want to show World Bank that the entire country has a least standard of 10th education to borrow money
Old 31st October 2010, 12:18   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But when I was returning from temple yesterday evening I chose to use the broken pavement to walk just to keep away from arguments but a moron came and hit me in a bike. He gave me a mouthful for obstructing his way. I tried to remain patient . I ask him where else should I walk and his answer got me going.
Bikes use the pavement; pedestrians ignore it (even when clean and whole) and walk, three or four abreast, on the road. Lunacy rules!

Sorry to hear about your mishap, and hope you were not hurt.

aargee, I cannot enjoy the joke in Tamil, as my wife is not at home on Sundays --- unless you'd be kind enough to post a translation. The fault is mine, for being linguistically challenged: I hope that I eventually get further with Tamil than I did with French and Latin at school, which was nowhere
Old 31st October 2010, 12:36   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bikes use the pavement; pedestrians ignore it (even when clean and whole) and walk, three or four abreast, on the road. Lunacy rules!
Couldn't have said it better. But do we have clean and whole pavements in Chennai? I rarely chance upon such areas. If at all they are clean and whole, they'd have hawkers/beggars/pamphlet-givers (you know, the guy who gives you a pamphlet saying you can get INR 15 lakh personal loan immediately)/dogs

@csateesh, I experience your trauma everyday. And if I'd got down from a very crowded bus, the moron on the footpath who's honking at me for making way, is gonna have a very bad day. If I'm in a better mood, probably I'd just block his way. Already posted a couple of experiences in another thread here

@Thad

The joke goes like this:

Scene 1 - Dr goes to US
Location - US, Obama's house
Dr - How did you manage to own such a big house?
O - Do you see a bridge over there?
Dr - Yes, I see it
O - I used the commission amount I received for constructing it

Scene 2 - Obama comes to Chennai
Location - Gopalapuram
O - Your house is much bigger than yours! How did you do this?
Dr - Do you see a bridge out there?
O - I can't see anything of that sort!
Dr - I used the funds that were supposed to be used to build the bridge to build my house

Actually, it's a famous joke. The characters differ, based on context. But the gist is, corruption is rampant and everyone has accepted it to be a part and parcel of life here

Last edited by silversteed : 31st October 2010 at 12:48.
Old 31st October 2010, 13:30   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But do we have clean and whole pavements in Chennai?
Just a few. And I always find people walking by the side of them!

Thanks for the translation.

The newspaper is telling me, today, that multi-crore repairs to our roads have not even survived the first monsoon shower

<--- forum rules do not allow me to repeat this fifty times, but I so much want to!
Old 31st October 2010, 15:51   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
multi-crore repairs to our roads have not even survived the first monsoon shower
True. But consider the sheer number of vehicles that use the road, the unplanned digging by other departments, and above all, the way the weather pattern has changed - I think there is reason for them not to survive the monsoons.

The above said conditions are true for many arterial roads in Kerala too. There are however exceptions, where some better-brained contractors have done the job by taking some precautions.

Quote:
<--- forum rules do not allow me to repeat this fifty times, but I so much want to!
+10000000000 to that
Old 31st October 2010, 16:08   #261
BHPian

Why has Chennai traffic become like this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
but does BLR or even NCR have anything different that this?

@ Aargee - It is bad in Bangalore. But people aren't in a tearing hurry always. People here want to push anything and everything out of their sight to make it through the signal.

This is nothing!!! 10 years from now, it would become highly unsafe & very dangerous to drive/ride on road. Reason? Education in all forms, right from children to driver's education is weak every where & that's why we see such things.

@ Aargee - I think 10 years is too long a time. I think education alone is not going to solve the problem. Mind set needs to change. People want the closest parking to the mall. If allowed they may even prefer to drive into the shops .In Bangalore we took a bus to commercial street this year as our experience last year wasn't that great for Diwali shopping where we parked our cars near Ulsoor and took an auto from there
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your mishap, and hope you were not hurt.

@ Thad - Thanks for asking. Luckily nothing happened but this has started to bother me. I am worried about my parents (they are old) living in this place. They walk to all places to buy the stuff that they need. The callous attitude of the people has got me worried a lot.

The attitude is seen everywhere. The people who come to the temple. Stop the car in the front of the temple. The owner gets down worships and gets back in 5 minutes. But in the 5 minutes there is a terrible jam created by the driver of the SUV. People have indeed become very selfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Couldn't have said it better. But do we have clean and whole pavements in Chennai?

@csateesh, I experience your trauma everyday.

@ silversteed - Sorry to hear that you experience this everyday. I was this close to getting physical but my thoughts were about how my parents survive through this day in and day out. They say we don't have much of a choice. Now I understand how and why the residents of shanthi colony have been complaining so much about the commercialization. I feel so bad for them

Already posted a couple of experiences in another thread here
I also read MutantX's post about T.Nagar. Well if Annanagar is like this then I can't imagine T.Nagar.

I think if people sit down things can be handled easily.

One thought I had is to make T.Nagar and Pondy Bazaar a no vehicle road for 2 weeks before Diwali and provide parking near by. This is just a thought.

Sorry for the non-stop ranting but somehow I feel we need to embrace the thought of live and let live instead of being selfish. This will also help us in moving from a developing country to developed country.

@ Thad - The joke summarizes the multi-crore road repair initiative. If you use RTI you may find out that the roads have probably been relaid

Last edited by csateesh : 31st October 2010 at 16:11.
Old 31st October 2010, 18:28   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aah!!! Then all you guys need to visit Pondicherry before accusing any other state in this country. Completely chaos!!!
- People come to the middle of the road & then decide whether they need to cross or go back again
- Cyclist ride in the middle of the road on a proper four lane with median road. Middle in the sense, between the first & second lane, literally on the white line!!!
- I've spotted more bikers riding on foot path. But one must understand this place has the best foot path in this country that is incidentally also clean!!!

Quote:
aargee, I cannot enjoy the joke in Tamil, as my wife is not at home on Sundays --- unless you'd be kind enough to post a translation.
@Thad sir, I'm kind enough, but Silver made it before I could. I assumed too much you understand few basics. My mistake!!! Will take care in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The above said conditions are true for many arterial roads in Kerala too.
Not only KL, every state has this problem!!! That's why I said, unity in corruption in diversity of language/cast/religion/color & what not?

Quote:
I also read MutantX's post about T.Nagar. Well if Annanagar is like this then I can't imagine T.Nagar.
Guys, there's nothing wrong with T.Nagar, its just that the small area is flooded with so many people for shopping. Where would people go otherwise? Just people in & around T.Nagar would easily sufficient to flood the place or else people from Besant Nagar should voluntarily visit Pursaiwalkam.

Let me tell you, even otherwise there're enough number of MTC buses to turn T.Nagar upside down, forget people who're shopping.

Quote:
I think if people sit down things can be handled easily.
Will not happen!!!!

Quote:
One thought I had is to make T.Nagar and Pondy Bazaar a no vehicle road for 2 weeks before Diwali and provide parking near by. This is just a thought.
Will not happen unless all the politicians agree upon!!!

Quote:
Sorry for the non-stop ranting but somehow I feel we need to embrace the thought of live and let live instead of being selfish. This will also help us in moving from a developing country to developed country.
It will happen when everyone makes a living through working; noticed Japan? People atleast hear to iPod & play sudoku when on trains & buses. Its a very rare to see anyone sitting idle or talking. But over there? Given a opportunity, people keep talking for ever. Reminds me of a dialogue from the movie Baasha where Rajnikanth says, a Chinese will die, if he's unable to work & an Indian will die, if he's unable to speak.

Quote:
@ Thad - The joke summarizes the multi-crore road repair initiative. If you use RTI you may find out that the roads have probably been relaid
Did you know a sad truth? Now days even RTI is failing to respond within stipulated time & they're very arrogant to say that they cannot handle answering so many queries & respond within 30 days. Kind of "Do what you want" attitude. Needless to say, they're least bothered about the fine. I'm not sure if the fine thing is also imposed on these guys.

All said, unless the education & enforcements are in very strict place, things are bound to get worse than ever & we can read how worst its getting everyday here in TBhp & keep ranting like this.
Old 31st October 2010, 21:19   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Given a opportunity, people keep talking for ever. Reminds me of a dialogue from the movie Baasha where Rajnikanth says, a Chinese will die, if he's unable to work & an Indian will die, if he's unable to speak.
But, once I took the vestibule D70 from Ekattuthangal to Velachery after dropping my car for service at KLN (no drivers available and so I had to drive,) and there were no one talking. It was a bit surprising for me. But there was deafening noise of the clattering windows/doors/other loose parts No wonder no one was talking.

Anyway, after the miserable day yesterday (in my previous post,) we started at 12:30 using the usual office road, thoraipakkam, omr (lunch), sholinganallur to ecr to tiger-cave (Ahh!!! - what peace and tranquility. Relax, relax, relax - no more ranting - nothing!) back to Kottivakam to relatives home. Now how to go to Velachery. No, no, no - no way Thiruvanmiyur. On ECR to Sholinganallur, then OMR and then tried the toll-escape route - (after which wifey said - Is this the way to save Rs 16/-, no way! save your car)

Finally we enter our lane leading to our apartment - the road had been properly constructed till the powdered stone spread - no tar yet and we were just happy to get to this pt. There is a road-laying equipment parked on the edge of this lane. But wifey goes "there are some pits all along - these were'nt there when we left 6 hrs back"!!!

One month of chaos to come. Fasten your seat belts. Some resolutions we can take - well before the NY resolutions, maybe "monsoon-resolutions".

- Avoid weekend city travels if avoidable (just for 4 weekends.) We can all get out December for Christmas/NY shopping.
- Start early to office and get back home early or late. Avoid peak hours.
Old 31st October 2010, 21:22   #264
BHPian

I completely accept csateesh point here, Chennai traffic has become completely chaotic. This is totally attributed to the huge two-wheeler population. I fear running over two-wheelers in future in spite of trying my level best to drive safe.

Bangalore has a bad traffic control largely due to inability to handle the influx of vehicles but no one there is in such a hurry to drive so madly.

This is completely my perceptual view after driving around in bangalore and chennai.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 31st October 2010 at 21:24.
Old 31st October 2010, 21:43   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Start early to office and get back home early or late. Avoid peak hours.- ...
This has been my policy since I joined this company; though no transportation is provided, I love riding to office 35 Kms one way since I adopt this policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
This is totally attributed to the huge two-wheeler population.
Sorry Mr.Bean, I wouldn't agree to this biased opinion of attributing the entire fault to two-wheelers. There're quite good number of bad drivers; water lorries are typical messenger to lord of death & not to mention the MTC buses, the lord of death himself. Ever observed how to they stop at bus stops?

Last Saturday I was driving from Thoraipakkam to Adyar & I could see several MTC buses at bus stand boarding passengers & they were occupying both the right most & the next left lane when boarding passengers.

Quote:
I fear running over two-wheelers in future in spite of trying my level best to drive safe.
Don't worry my friend; just try to avoid as much as possible & in the case of any misfortune, run to the nearest police station immediately before you take the victim to hospital, if its a minory injury. At any cost, never get hit from any vehicle as in this country the wrong doer is always fortunate enough to get away with a mere fine. So better hit rather than getting hit. Sorry, if I sounded negative, but this is the sad state here.

Quote:
Bangalore has a bad traffic control largely due to inability to handle the influx of vehicles but no one there is in such a hurry to drive so madly.
Quote:
This is completely my perceptual view after driving around in bangalore and chennai.
Sorry my friend, I'd driven from MG Road to Hosur road on a weekday (02/Jul to precise) afternoon. Would it be about 15 Kms? It took more than an hour for me. However, I'm sure the speed is atleast 20 Kmph inside Chennai city during those times.

Again, I'm not defending Chennai, but trying to say be it Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, BLR or Hyd, all of us are in the same sorry state.
Old 31st October 2010, 21:52   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
... back to Kottivakam to relatives home. Now how to go to Velachery. No, no, no - no way Thiruvanmiyur. On ECR to Sholinganallur, then OMR ...
You can cross the canal at Palavakkam/Kandanchavadi. It is a tiny bridge: you have to wait for it to be empty as there is not even room for a car to share with a pedestrian. You might also find the streets a bit rough. I live close, so I'm used to it.

It would save you a lot when travelling from Kottivakkam to Velachery --- but don't tell everyone
Old 31st October 2010, 22:08   #267
BHPian

Quote:
You can cross the canal at Palavakkam/Kandanchavadi. It is a tiny bridge: you have to wait for it to be empty as there is not even room for a car to share with a pedestrian. You might also find the streets a bit rough. I live close, so I'm used to it.

It would save you a lot when travelling from Kottivakkam to Velachery --- but don't tell everyone
Sure. Lets keep it between you and me. Done
We have done this on our splendor. But I wanted a smooth uncluttered way till home and I got it. 22 km of stress free driving from Kottivakam though 15 km more. Much better than through the crowded west OMR region or thru the TMR signal and then a common pathetic Taramani-Velachery Rd. (slated for completion this Dec and then later they said it will get delayed further.)
Old 31st October 2010, 22:49   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, sorry, I'd forgotten about the Tharmani Road. I seldom go that way, but did have to a couple of times recently. Dreadful! And how much worse will it be after rain?
Old 1st November 2010, 01:12   #269
BHPian

Quote:

There was also a tiny bridge connecting Indiranagar to Taramani road. This was originally meant for pedestrians but also used by two wheelers and occasional adventurous car drivers. But can you believe, a truck driver tried his luck and the bridge went down along with the truck.
Old 1st November 2010, 02:21   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

... and now it is going to be rebuilt as a major route between the two areas! I think they are working on it already.

(Actually Indira Nagar to OMR)

Most Viewed