Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 17:59   #556
Team-BHP Support

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Went through Porur road today. Not that bad I would say. But yes its pretty furstrating to hit Poonamallee in 4.5 hours from Bangalore and then taking another one hour to hit Kathipara.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:08   #557
BHPian

hi guys
What is your opinion on OMR. I think its a disgrace. Tried travelling on it for couple of weeks and switched over to ECR road. Atleast the jams are pretty much predictable and i know which side of the road to avoid and can reach home at the expected time. OMR is another story all together. No rules and free for all for all the idiots with a vehicle. I really pity people who have to travel everyday on that road.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:29   #558
BHPian

I regularly take Porur route from Kathipara to Ambattur estate. I cover the distance in 35 mins + time spent in Porur signal ( avg < 10 min, Max 15 min). The only problem is that the traffic is unpredictable. Some days I have crossed the signal in < 5 min but the same time next day may take 15 min
Old 9th January 2011, 22:59   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

I use OMR or ECR according to time of day. I live in the middle. I join OMR at Kandanchavady (spelling?) or ECR at Palavakkam.

After 5.00pm, I take ECR, but still prefer to cut to Tidel park and cross the river vi Kotturpuram rather than Adyar. OMR, city-bound, after 5.00, is just dreadful.

Just about any other time of day, my usual choice is OMR. It is so much clearer and faster, even if I only want to drive at 40kph (believe it or not I often do!).

Yes, that clear and fast has it bad side too, with the idiots taking advantage of it. Tailgating at 60-plus? If you know that road you know it happens.

But then, ECR has more buses and Pondicherry taxis.

This is about afternoon/evening travel. I don't really do mornings!
Old 9th January 2011, 23:42   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I regularly take Porur route from Kathipara to Ambattur estate. I cover the distance in 35 mins + time spent in Porur signal ( avg < 10 min, Max 15 min). The only problem is that the traffic is unpredictable. Some days I have crossed the signal in < 5 min but the same time next day may take 15 min
Sunday evening it was pretty easy (today). But I was in for a totally different shock. I filled up at a bunk near Adambakkam bus stand. Once I reached home (Bangalore) after covering 340 Km, I realized the car had drunk more than half the tank. ( I guess nearly 25-27L). FE should be about 14-15.

The same while coming to Chennai was 18 with just 20L of consumption. Suspect some fuel issues at the bunk.
Old 10th January 2011, 00:16   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sunday evening it was pretty easy (today). But I was in for a totally different shock. I filled up at a bunk near Adambakkam bus stand. Once I reached home (Bangalore) after covering 340 Km, I realized the car had drunk more than half the tank. ( I guess nearly 25-27L). FE should be about 14-15.

The same while coming to Chennai was 18 with just 20L of consumption. Suspect some fuel issues at the bunk.
Most certainly. Always choose a reputed, trusted bunk when you have to top up your tank.
Old 10th January 2011, 06:58   #562
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Most certainly. Always choose a reputed, trusted bunk when you have to top up your tank.
Later I saw many BP bunks on Porur road. The issue, I was not sure if they woud take card. And I was running low and could take a long ride to scout for another one. I saw Shell but it on the right (right while going towards BLR).

Can you folks suggest a good bunk on this road (to be on the left side)?
Old 10th January 2011, 11:13   #563
BHPian

Quote:
I saw Shell but it on the right (right while going towards BLR).
Are you sure? The Shell in Porur (before the junction) comes on your left while going towards Bangy. But then Shell is expensive in Chennai when compared to Bangy.
BTW, I always get a slightly lower mileage(1 KMPL difference) when going towards Bangy than coming back possibly due to my aggressive driving in Krishnagiri Ghat section.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:21   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another reason could be that while coming to Chennai you are driving down a slope and while returning to B'lore driving up a gradient. A colleague of mine who drives regularly to B'lore to visit his in-laws confirms this.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:32   #565
BHPian

Quote:

Which bunk are you talking about? Is it the one next to NGO colony bust stand? If so, then you might be right as I am also suspicious about that bunk. I always fill up at Spic petrol pump in Guindy. I do this the previous night before starting for bangalore.

Off topic, do you stay near Adambakkam?
Old 10th January 2011, 13:28   #566
Senior - BHPian

The current connecting road between Medavakkam and Shols is absolutely dreadful. To test ground clearance and suspension Team-BHP should employ this connecting road.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:42   #567
BHPian

^^^^^
It was worse earlier. Even MTC stopped plying buses on this road for couple of days. Wonder what are we paying toll for?
Old 10th January 2011, 14:25   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The current connecting road between Medavakkam and Shols is absolutely dreadful. To test ground clearance and suspension Team-BHP should employ this connecting road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
^^^^^
It was worse earlier. Even MTC stopped plying buses on this road for couple of days. Wonder what are we paying toll for?
Some one heard you people. The authorities are busy patching up this stretch today.

For some real OTR experience, try the road aside Chennai bypass road starting from Thiruneermalai until Tambaram where there is an entry to the bypass road.

You ought to be a very very experienced driver if you can pass this stretch without scraping the underside of your car.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:43   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For some real OTR experience, try the road aside Chennai bypass road starting from Thiruneermalai until Tambaram where there is an entry to the bypass road
Not even the entire stretch. Just those points where the road bisecets another perpendicular road( mudichoor and thiruneermalai roads). I think even the fortuner with the highest GC will get scrapped at various points. Strictly a no-no road at night time.

I used to get into perungalathur using the side road from the tambaram-Perungalathur bridge. Now its definitely possible with my Swift, but i am absolutely sure I can never take my Jetta there. Rather I will never take my Jetta. I am building a data base where I should avoid Jetta at any cost.
Old 10th January 2011, 18:47   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
Which bunk are you talking about? Is it the one next to NGO colony bust stand? If so, then you might be right as I am also suspicious about that bunk. I always fill up at Spic petrol pump in Guindy. I do this the previous night before starting for bangalore.

Off topic, do you stay near Adambakkam?
Yes its the one next to NGO colony bus stand. Next time I am NOT going to that bunk! I saw one or two BP bunks on Porur road. But do these guys accept cards? Since I was running very low, I could not take the risk.

No I dont stay in Chennai. (I stay in BLR). But I visit folks in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Another reason could be that while coming to Chennai you are driving down a slope and while returning to B'lore driving up a gradient. A colleague of mine who drives regularly to B'lore to visit his in-laws confirms this.
May be. Today I tanked up at BLR and it came down to 25L. At least 5L more. Even by 14Km/L I see a difference of 80 Km. That I think is too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Are you sure? The Shell in Porur (before the junction) comes on your left while going towards Bangy. But then Shell is expensive in Chennai when compared to Bangy.
BTW, I always get a slightly lower mileage(1 KMPL difference) when going towards Bangy than coming back possibly due to my aggressive driving in Krishnagiri Ghat section.

I actually remember seeing 2 shells. One on either side of the road. But this time I only saw the one on the right side while going towards BLR. May be I might have lost the other one on the move (Since I did not see, I thought they might have closed!). Since I was not sure which bunk take cards, I filled up while starting.

Most Viewed