Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 13:18   #571
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I tank up at the HP bunk opposite MIOT hospital and found it pretty good. I stay close by and found this bunk consistent with no frauds( sir meter jammed , already 200rs filled sir blah blah)..
Notorious ones are the ones on Velachery Pallikaranai stretch - one BP at end of Pallikaranai and a HP just at the descent of the flyover towards Velachery - both cheat.

Update on roads parallel to OMR:
Pallikarani-Medavakkam - Road expansion work started
Medavakkam- Shols - Part patch work near the Elcot Sez done, rest as-is

Cheers !
Old 12th January 2011, 14:17   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
I think that's the sewer laying work which is going on rather than road widening. Once the sewer people dig up the roads, lay down the sewers and fill it up again, then the road contractors will come to dig up the road all over again and choke the sewers in the process!
Old 12th January 2011, 14:21   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
May be. Today I tanked up at BLR and it came down to 25L. At least 5L more. Even by 14Km/L I see a difference of 80 Km. That I think is too high.
That is high . The difference should not be more than 2 KPL at the most.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:33   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
BTW, I always get a slightly lower mileage(1 KMPL difference) when going towards Bangy than coming back possibly due to my aggressive driving in Krishnagiri Ghat section.
Most of us get more mileage coming from Bangalore, its got to do with the weather man!!

Once our D man Nitrous got 19 on his old Ford 1.3 pushrodder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Another reason could be that while coming to Chennai you are driving down a slope and while returning to B'lore driving up a gradient. A colleague of mine who drives regularly to B'lore to visit his in-laws confirms this.
This IS the case and i can vouch for the same having driven between these 2 cities for the past 15+ years.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:48   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why cant they just lay the whole stretch from velechery main road to Shols again. The only good piece of road in this section is the newly laid culvert(which took them close to two years to complete one side).
Old 20th January 2011, 09:31   #576
BHPian

Traffic and other news.

1. The past couple of days I am getting longer queues just after the toll on the Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam radial road, before entering into OMR. Have the signal timings changed post-pongal?

2. On the Tambaram-Velachery road just after Kamakshi and after the petrol bunk on the left I encountered a police-speed-barricade which again created a pile-up.

3. I read in yesterday's paper. Picnic-Car-Rally organised by Rotary Madras South - 30th January 2011 - 9 am to 2 pm - from Anna University - Guindy to Oragadam. Rs 900/-, 4 persons, lunch refreshments included. Has anyone does this before? Wont this create rash-driving on crowded city streets? How do they conduct it?

4. Ford Fiesta - in flames - Velachery resident. Read it this morning in the papers. How does this happen? Is it the same as clutch-frying incident on a 2-week i10 on Koyambedu flyover?
Old 20th January 2011, 10:16   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
I tank up at the HP bunk opposite MIOT hospital and found it pretty good. I stay close by and found this bunk consistent with no frauds( sir meter jammed , already 200rs filled sir blah blah)..
Notorious ones are the ones on Velachery Pallikaranai stretch - one BP at end of Pallikaranai and a HP just at the descent of the flyover towards Velachery - both cheat.

Update on roads parallel to OMR:

Cheers !
I used to put petrol in this bunk (opp MIOT), though it is good without any frauds, my SX4 had problems in the exhaust. Water was leaking from it and the entire set needed replacement because of corrossion. My friend's SX4 had the same problem and was replaced during the warranty period. Learnt from Maruti engineers that it is because of the bunk we put petrol. Myself and my friend used to put petrol in that bunk only, after this issue we never used that bunk.
Old 20th January 2011, 10:27   #578
Senior - BHPian

This happened to me last sunday, guys taking autos in chennai beware

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2213516

Pramod
Old 20th January 2011, 10:29   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I used to put petrol in this bunk (opp MIOT), though it is good without any frauds, my SX4 had problems in the exhaust. Water was leaking from it and the entire set needed replacement because of corrossion. My friend's SX4 had the same problem and was replaced during the warranty period. Learnt from Maruti engineers that it is because of the bunk we put petrol. Myself and my friend used to put petrol in that bunk only, after this issue we never used that bunk.

Is this a problem? I notice water vapour and condensation at the tip of the exhaust when I occasionally drive for short distances (~ 2KM). It is not noticed once the engine warms up on longer drives. I always fill petrol at Shell and the quality is very good.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:04   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats the effect of catalytic converter, and can be observed in most cars. Cat-con converts unburned hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water.

Did it get reduced when you changed to another bunk?
Old 20th January 2011, 11:28   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
This happened to me last sunday, guys taking autos in chennai beware

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2213516

Pramod
I read it, Pramod. I feel sorry for you. Wish you a speedy recovery. I don't understand how the auto driver flicked your friend's belongings. Was he not hurt? Generally, on a frontal crash, it's the driver who takes the brunt of it. Good to know that you're in the path to recovery.

Driving on the wrong side is very common in Chennai. You can find everything from bikes to trucks on the wrong side. Last month, I saw a Superb and an Audi driving on the wrong side, along the ECR. Guess they got onto ECR through one of the beach roads in Srinivasapuram, and instead of going towards Kottivakkam and taking a U-turn, took the wrong side, went on till the divider-gap near More. And trucks on wrong side - guys commuting along OMR would know it better.

I would like to know where in Tiruvanmiyur this happened. Tiruvanmiyur is well connected to all parts of Chennai by bus and MRTS. There's no need to take an auto unless your destination is somewhere along the interior streets.

As much as possible, travel by bus or train. And avoid taking the train late at night, because the stations are not always well lit and consequently there will be anti-socials around.
Share autos (except the Tata ACE ones) most probably would break your back, and autos will rip your purse.

Cabs work out to be cheaper, apart from being safer and more comfortable if you're travelling for less than 10km inside the city. Fast track charges Rs.100 while an auto guy would not settle for anything less than 180, based on the location.

Quote:
... Water was leaking from it and the entire set needed replacement because of corrossion. My friend's SX4 had the same problem and was replaced during the warranty period. Learnt from Maruti engineers that it is because of the bunk we put petrol.
Water dripping from the tail pipe is due to the water vapour condensing inside. Water vapour is produced as a result of the reduction of nitrous oxides by the catalytic converter. When you just start the engine, the tail pipe is cold, and the water vapour condenses. If you the engine for a few minutes it'll vanish.

I got the tail pipe replaced in my 8 years old M800 a couple of years back. Reason was corrosion. The root cause was the parking lot, where, when it rains, water would get splashed at the car and because of the slope, a small quantity would remain inside the tail pipe. This happens in the prolonged monsoons, and resulted in the corrosion. It's got nothing to do with the water dripping from the exhaust pipe.

Last edited by silversteed : 20th January 2011 at 11:45.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:30   #582
BHPian

pramod: I did not get the story. So you and your friend were in the auto. It crashed. Were you thrown off the auto? And he looted you and ran off with his auto? Or were you on the bike with your friend? Who was driving wrong side?
Old 20th January 2011, 11:40   #583
Senior - BHPian

@jeevmenon: The auto hit a biker. The biker was on the wrong side. Pramod and his friend got hurt in the crash. The auto driver who might have been in a better condition, fled the scene after grabbing whatever he could lay his hands on (am assuming the last part)
Old 20th January 2011, 13:52   #584
Senior - BHPian

Any one here who uses Vandalur - Perungulathur stretch in the evenings? Need some alternatives, offlate it has become mad taking almost an hour to reach the Byepass Jn. from Vandalur.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:00   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
@jeevmenon: The auto hit a biker. The biker was on the wrong side. Pramod and his friend got hurt in the crash. The auto driver who might have been in a better condition, fled the scene after grabbing whatever he could lay his hands on (am assuming the last part)
That is exactly what happened.'let me be ver honest in telling u we do not know who took our belongings, both of us were knocked out. But when i woke up the auto guy was missing along with the auto, we realized the theft at the clinic.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks