Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 12:24   #751
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

@hajaar - Do you drive a verna by any chance? I also happen to work in Guindy and I have noticed a Verna with a Team BHP sticker. Actually thats the only car with a Team BHP sticker that I have noticed regularly. I see the car in my office building everyday.

Last edited by nithin_86 : 24th June 2011 at 12:25. Reason: Accidently put the whole post in capitals
Old 24th June 2011, 12:51   #752
Senior - BHPian

Spent about half an hour with couple of other good souls in successfully clearing a traffic jam near Belly Area, Anna Nagar today morning. Possibly the most productive half an hour I have spent this week.

Opted to park the car on the side and walk the kids to the school, while walking back towards the car realized the situation was no better with two gentlemen desperately trying to bring some sense of order, joined them and we spent the next half an hour clearing the jam.

A lone khaki police opted to join us in the fag end despite me informing him when I saw him near the school gate earlier.

Though we had a few smart ones trying to inch into what ever space available, by and large most of the motorists understood our plight and waited patiently while we tried to clear the jam on all the four sides, this included quite a few auto rickshaws as well.

Was wondering why do we need somebody to organize us in traffic, why can't we voluntarily wait instead of squeezing into every inch of space even if it means going onto the opposite lane?
Old 24th June 2011, 18:39   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
@hajaar - Do you drive a verna by any chance? I also happen to work in Guindy and I have noticed a Verna with a Team BHP sticker. Actually thats the only car with a Team BHP sticker that I have noticed regularly. I see the car in my office building everyday.
I drive a black civic - team-bhp stickers on the driver's side of the rear bumper and the front number plate.
Old 26th June 2011, 19:50   #754
tud
BHPian

Guys, I find the Adyar flyover and the Kotturpuram flyover to be very risky while travelling on a motorbike. There is absolutely no banking of curves and it feels like you would skid any minute. To top it, the recklessly driven 'yellow board' Sumos and Indicas love overtaking every single vehicle on these already narrow flyovers ...
Old 26th June 2011, 20:54   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not just go slowly then?

I don't see why there should be any banking of curves. The Kotturpuram flyover is particular narrow. Best to discourage any kind of speed.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:03   #756
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why not just go slowly then?

I don't see why there should be any banking of curves. The Kotturpuram flyover is particular narrow. Best to discourage any kind of speed.
The first curve on the Adyar flyover right above the Muthulakshmi park is quite dangerous. It definitely needs banking.
Take for instance the narrow lane in the Gemini flyover that leads you to Nungambakkam, its nicely banked and you cna ride with confidence.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:49   #757
BHPian

Any poor soul working in MEPZ here?

The arterial road within MEPZ campus was a 4 lane, concrete, fast moving road. Then some @#$$%@@ decided to get speed bumps built all along the road every 100 m.

And these are not speed bumps, but mini mountains __/\__ , very narrow and very high. All vehicles have to slow to a standstill, engage first gear and then go over these monstrosities. I have seen multiple vehicles come back down after negotiating only half the climb up these mountains. Happened once with me as well. Plus, my NHC scrapes each and every one of these things.

The traffic has become so bad, that it reminds me of my Gurgaon Cyber City days to drive to and from office in the morning and evening!

A perfect example of how to screw up things by trying to fix something which isn't broken!
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:10   #758
BHPian

Unbelievable traffic on Arya Gowda Road - Brindavan Street crossing. We wanted to go to pondy bazaar but after driving a kilometer in 30 minutes, we turned and came back.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:24   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quite a lot of traffic in Mylapore and continued up to Adyar. Some politicians wedding was on so it made the whole traffic situation worse. On top of that it was super hot today. Thank god it's raining now
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:25   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Unbelievable traffic on Arya Gowda Road - Brindavan Street crossing.
Is there a day Brindavan St doesnt see traffic ? Especially coming towards T.Nagar. I'd prefer Aranganathan Subway anyday over Duraisamy subway. Its worse in terms of road discipline, but traffic moves atleast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Guys, I find the Adyar flyover and the Kotturpuram flyover to be very risky while travelling on a motorbike. There is absolutely no banking of curves and it feels like you would skid any minute. To top it, the recklessly driven 'yellow board' Sumos and Indicas love overtaking every single vehicle on these already narrow flyovers ...
Kottupuram flyover doesnt need banking. It needs some levelling (on the side going towards Kotturpuram) and more importantly regulation at the Kottupuram end (atleast at peak hours).

I dont see anything wrong with Adyar bridge.

Talking about the same corridor, I'd love to see barricades interlocked than individual ones at the Cancer institute bridge.
~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
It took me 1.5 Hours to reach from Gemini to Ega Theater today! Worst traffic I have seen in Chennai till now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Try out Greams road-Casa Major Road - (via - Sparky's Dinner) - Gengu Reddy street (subway) - P.H.Road. This is the route I take whenever I have to reach P.H.Road. Yep, might be a bit long route - but it is mostly easier to navigate through this stretch compared to Sterling road and the Chetpet bridge.
I agree with vijay, its better to go through Egmore than Nungambakkam High Road-Village Road combination. Am not sure where the dividers are seperated at PH Road. You can certainly use it on return. Its the standard route autorikshaws take if you travel from Central to T.Nagar

Last edited by narayans80 : 3rd July 2011 at 00:42.
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:32   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
The first curve on the Adyar flyover right above the Muthulakshmi park is quite dangerous. It definitely needs banking.
Take for instance the narrow lane in the Gemini flyover that leads you to Nungambakkam, its nicely banked and you cna ride with confidence.

Very true, But you are off, way off comparing both the bridges. And at what speeds do you intend to ride these flyovers, with choking traffic? without the necessary banking? etc!

Everyone worth his salt on two wheels knows about the "Gemini flyover that leads you to Nungambakkam". Has that become two way now, by any chance?

Old 3rd July 2011, 00:35   #762
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2011 at 21:10.
YaeJay is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th July 2011, 17:45   #763
Team-BHP Support

Just want to check for a road update.
How is the condition on the Porur road today?
How far is the flyover away from Completion?
Old 5th July 2011, 18:05   #764
Senior - BHPian

If you guys are really interested to test your car suspension please visit MEPZ. There are quite a few heart brakers(i meant speed brakers) which even hits my bullet stand.

And there is a change in Tambaram traffic. Expect a lot of delay after 7 or 8PM crossing Tambaram. The right turn just after the petrol bunk near kadaperi is now closed and all vehicles to enter Mudichoor road has to take the flyover. This cange has only caused more traffic problem.

Please plan your travel time accordingly.
Old 6th July 2011, 06:53   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just want to check for a road update.
How is the condition on the Porur road today?
How far is the flyover away from Completion?
The flyover is no where near completion. Expect delays around 30 minutes to an hour to cross from Ramachandra hospital side towards Kathipara.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks