Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 18:11   #931
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The IT corridor could be renamed as IT-Waterway - already quite some stretch in front of TIDEL Park is water-logged. Around 9AM, there seemed to have happened some serious accident near the Indira Nagar overhead walkway on TIDEL Park side - possibly involving a biker - traffic was at a standstill on that side.
On the same day, at around 2PM, OMR was blocked just before the Thoraipakkam Toll Gate and traffic was routed through the Velachery Main Road. The reason the CCTP gave was that the road was waterlogged and the engines turn off in that deep water !! Cant fathom the drainage systems in Chennai. Sometimes, it seems like there arnt any.
Old 5th November 2011, 19:06   #932
Senior - BHPian

I started back home from work yesterday by around 10.30 PM from perungudi and I took the taramani link road to travel upto velachery. Noticing a huge trafic pile up from the american international school, I took the madhya kailash-raj bhavan - velachery route - Big mistake. Trafic came to a standstill from halda junction till raj bhavan, and I was inching my way through till around 11.30 PM. Finally reached home in velachery around 12 AM. Never had this tough and at that odd hour and vowed not to get out of the house unless otherwise absolutely necessary till this rain stops and situation improves.

There are hardly any roads left in chennai now after this spell and Driving on any arterial road is a nightmare now.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:15   #933
Senior - BHPian

Had to take sonny to Pondy Bazar for a 11.30 A.M. dental appointment today, but it got postponed to 7.00 P.M. I not even thought of taking the car out. Bike was ruled out by the weather. Left home at 5.15 PM by bus and got down at Chromepet Rly station. Took a suburban train to Mambalam. We could not find seats, but could stand comfortably. Took an auto from Mambalam station to the dental clinic. We were comfortably seated at the clinic by 6.30 P.M.!

The procedure was over by 7.45 and we returned by the same means. This time we could get seats in the train. My son switched his casio to stopwatch mode as soon as the train started, and it took exactly 21 minutes to reach Chromepet! Took an Auto and reached home at 8.45 PM for dinner!

Cost of the trip was Rs 6.00 for bus, Rs 20.00 for return ticket by train, auto fare of Rs 100.00 at T'nagar and Rs 40.00 at Chromepet, total Rs 166.00. But absolutely no tension and complete peace of mind! The roads and by-lanes at T'nagar were like streams if not rivers at many places, negotiating the traffic and finding a parking place would have been a nightmare.
Old 5th November 2011, 23:13   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomsun View Post
Cant fathom the drainage systems in Chennai. Sometimes, it seems like there arnt any.
Simply, you are correct. There is no road drainage. Sometimes a hole will be cut to drain water, but given the powerful effect of running water, that eventually leads to more hole and less road.

I see the famous middle-of-RK-Mutt-Road hole is making its appearance again! A few days ago, the tarmac had a big dip, if it hasn't started to break away yet, I'm sure it soon will.
Old 7th November 2011, 02:10   #935
BHPian

Whoever came up with the idea of filling bricks (crushed) to fill craters on roads is gona get beaten up by me.

Guess a politician was to travel on the sardar patel road and there was a corporation truck dumping bricks on the road, yep blocking traffic.
Old 7th November 2011, 10:04   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

It is crazy. The road near my house is badly broken, but now it is full of sharp, irregular brick pieces. They halve the speed one can drive over them: the holes were better!
Old 7th November 2011, 10:13   #937
Senior - BHPian

Actually it works well as a stop-gap measure for patches till the rains are over, if there is a lot of HV movement on the road. This has been done on our road too but since a lot of bus / trucks move there, it has reasonably evened out. It will be very bad for cars and bikes otherwise.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th November 2011 at 10:14.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:50   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Actually it works well as a stop-gap measure for patches till the rains are over, if there is a lot of HV movement on the road.
With due respects, I do not agree with you at all. The construction debris does more harm than good. Construction debris when pulverized becomes fine particles which are not cohesive (do not bond) unlike sand which can be bound and is heavier. While they fill the pothole for now once they are dry it becomes a fine layer of dust which pollutes the air and clogs whatever drainage network that Chennai corporation prides itself to have. It is time we educate people to stop dumping their construction debris on the road in the name of public service.

Last edited by DWind : 7th November 2011 at 11:51.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 12:45   #939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is time we educate people to stop dumping their construction debris on the road in the name of public service.
Something is better than nothing. In cars it really doesnt matter if its a gaping hole or debris. But imagine the guys in bike. I see atleast few dozen people falling down from the hole, but managing to save themselves from the fall riding over these debris.

There is no way any sane person is going to construct roads while its raining.

Hope JJ does some drastic changes to the way roads are here in Chennai.

Specially the mudichoor road. With the partition in place the road has become so narrow that it feels the old roads without partition was faster and safer.

I wish those side shops are just evicted and the roads are expanded in time.
Old 7th November 2011, 16:21   #940
BHPian

The situation of the Potholes would never occur if our road engineers had built roads with proper drainage and camber(to allow water to flow in the . Of course, we need to do our bit by ensuring these drains are free from debris.
Looking at the way the roads in Chennai have held up I am wondering are there no roads with good drains? and what happened to all the drainage systems built before?
Old 7th November 2011, 16:31   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The situation of the Potholes would never occur if our road engineers had built roads with proper drainage and camber(to allow water to flow in the . Of course, we need to do our bit by ensuring these drains are free from debris.
Looking at the way the roads in Chennai have held up I am wondering are there no roads with good drains? and what happened to all the drainage systems built before?
Sorry for the slight deviation from the discussion.

I believe that people deserve for these bad roads. I get irritated by the people who violate the traffic rules. I have to take right at the signal just after the Camp Road junction at Tambaram East for my home (some of you might have noticed this). You know what? No one obey the signal here. If I stop and wait for the green signal to come on, people behind me start honking. I couldn't explain how I feel every day going through this. That's the reason why I feel these people deserve well for these bad roads.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:41   #942
BHPian

I think it has got to do our mentality, which can be extended to life beyond roads as well. Indians are always looking only for themselves. We don't care a damn about the other users. We have been trained thatway. And couple this with our general apathy to conforming to any rule or authority, we like to break at the first chance. We are smart, but that smartness is applied only for our own self.
Old 7th November 2011, 19:06   #943
Senior - BHPian

Atleast the one's that I travel on regularly - the only road that seems to have taken the assault of last week rain is the kotturpuram road till the overbridge. Or is it simply due to the fact that many high profile people live by that area? Its a different story starting from raj bhavan though.

I have also noticed this road is lot smoother to travel on any normal day. Tarmac has some rubbery coating to it, compared to others.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:25   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I think it has got to do our mentality, which can be extended to life beyond roads as well. Indians are always looking only for themselves. We don't care a damn about the other users. We have been trained thatway. And couple this with our general apathy to conforming to any rule or authority, we like to break at the first chance. We are smart, but that smartness is applied only for our own self.
This is absolutely true. We look only for ourselves. I see it more often that not on the road. In case of traffic jams, people would curse one another for the mess but would not accept that even they are responsible for this.
About breaking the rules, it is quite simple. we dont care and how is he to put the rules is all that runs on our minds. This is applicable in signal's. People do not care about stopping for the red. They are as if those 10 seconds is going to cost them some billion losses.
Old 15th November 2011, 09:25   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The IT corridor could be renamed as IT-Waterway - already quite some stretch in front of TIDEL Park is water-logged.
A snap from the day.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc03312.jpg

And this was the waterlogged road in front of Olympia (Guindy) for some 200metres on my way back home the same day. The left side was really flooded with close to 2feet of water and even MTC buses were wary.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc03313.jpg

Most Viewed