Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 15:24   #1051
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Yes, it was very foggy in Pondy too till about 8.30 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While it is global warming elsewhere, looks like it is global chilling over TN.
When elsewhere it was global chilling or even warming, TN was always globally boiling, so i guess this is a much deserved reward.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:58   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^: Wait till the Summers - I expect it to touch 48!!
Quite manageable i guess ....

Does that mean i have to stop taking my bull for work. Thats the only bad thing about this heat. Being a Pure chennaite its just the riding part that i miss during summers whereas cricket or any outdoor game dedicating our skin and body to the hot sun has never stopped.
Old 21st February 2012, 14:58   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean i have to stop taking my bull for work.
Bull-et or Bull-ock?

Not that we see many these days, and I think they are not allowed on the main city streets in the daytime traffic, but the summer weather must very very tough on bullocks.

Three-hours-per-day power cuts coming, according to the paper. Wife and I are talking generator again.
Old 21st February 2012, 15:22   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Three-hours-per-day power cuts coming, according to the paper. Wife and I are talking generator again
I guess thats the only way people come to work in time. Cant believe my office parking was almost full by 10. Then realised that people either have a 9-5 power cut or their regular shut down was between 8-9 or 9-10.

3 hours is a pain. I need to now hook my modem into the router so i can atleast use my system.

I thought about generators but the cost of these generators are really steep.
Old 21st February 2012, 16:36   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I guess thats the only way people come to work in time. Cant believe my office parking was almost full by 10. Then realised that people either have a 9-5 power cut or their regular shut down was between 8-9 or 9-10.

3 hours is a pain. I need to now hook my modem into the router so i can atleast use my system.

I thought about generators but the cost of these generators are really steep.
Looking at the way things are shaping up with respect to the power scenario, I dont think we are going to have any choice other than buying inverters in the near future.

When will the Koodangulam plant be commissioned??
Old 21st February 2012, 21:57   #1056
Senior - BHPian

^^They are working towards it. Refusal of power from central pool and all this noise about impending power outs are steps towards that goal.

But we will get only 500 MW from that. Not enough. And, not a single watt of power from that plant should go to states that vehemently oppose nuclear power plants on their own soil IMO.

Last edited by Gansan : 21st February 2012 at 21:58.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:21   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Looking at the way things are shaping up with respect to the power scenario, I dont think we are going to have any choice other than buying inverters in the near future.

When will the Koodangulam plant be commissioned??
Arvind, as long as the enforcability of law takes place we do not have to worry of this. If there is a conscious effort from the govt and the law makers to bring efficiency we would not be facing power threats.

Almost every day politicians and political parties steal power for their road shows. I guess unless there is a change in the form of self discipline nothing can be done
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:47   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Kudankulam is a great idea. By this time we are talking about the second reactor getting into business. If not for the useless politicians we would not be talking about power cuts.

And we chennaites are the least impacted. Hearing 8 hrs cuts from Coimbatore and Trichy.

We are just lukcy.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:09   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Was returning by bus to home from office yesterday in the MTC bus. Was sitting next to the driver and noticed that he was using the clutch only to move the vehicle from 1st gear and on rare occasions for shifting into second gear. The 3rd and 4th gears were shifted without using the clutch at all. Wanted to know if this is how the bus works? Or is it modified by the MTC to work in this manner? Or is it just plain carelessness?
Old 28th February 2012, 15:58   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was returning by bus to home from office yesterday in the MTC bus. Was sitting next to the driver and noticed that he was using the clutch only to move the vehicle from 1st gear and on rare occasions for shifting into second gear. The 3rd and 4th gears were shifted without using the clutch at all. Wanted to know if this is how the bus works? Or is it modified by the MTC to work in this manner? Or is it just plain carelessness?
Most bus drivers do that - use clutch only to move from standstill. It comes out of experience and can be done on any car or bike. If you do it at the correct speed, that is. I have done it years ago on the Jawa / Yezdi.
Old 28th February 2012, 19:27   #1061
BHPian

Quote:

I have done this quite a few times in my Unicorn. Never thought of doing the same in my car.
Old 28th February 2012, 23:04   #1062
Distinguished - BHPian

It is skill. Pure skill. Match the engine speed, and you don't need to declutch, the dogs just slot in.

My father used to demonstrate this to me to show off: even on twisty and hilly rural roads. He learnt to drive before there were even syncromesh gearboxes; a different level of skill. Maybe some of the old trucks on the road still require those skills?
Old 29th February 2012, 09:16   #1063
BHPian

Major Traffic Diversion in Anna Salai. Starting from Saturday. God knows how long this will take ? May be 1 yr /2yr /5 yr for completion of this Metro Works

Part of Anna Salai to turn one-way for metro work - The Times of India
Old 8th March 2012, 17:32   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have done it years ago on the Jawa / Yezdi.
The Jawa/Yezdi works as an auto clutch, when you depress the gear lever, the clutch too engages, this was unique only to these bikes.

Bus drivers use the clutch when they are in high rpms.
Old 8th March 2012, 19:34   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Auto clutch? I don't think so. Then what was the need for the clutch lever?

The first bike without clutch that I can remember was the Hero-Honda Street.

Most Viewed