Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 16:17   #1111
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Today around 8:30AM spotted a lady-driven Zen @ Madhya Kailash signal, which had a "Caution : Half-tickets on board" sign at the rear.
A welcome/funny change over the usual "Kids on board" / "Prince on board" / "Princess on board" signage that we normally see.

BTW, what is the point of this sign ? Is it a warning to other road-users about naughty kids on board ? I never understood what it conveys - as one driving behind such a car, what is expected of me ? I am anyway not going to bang the car in front, whether it has kids inside or adults - too much of costly SGP in the front of my car to take such a risk.
Old 7th May 2012, 16:26   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Today around 8:30AM spotted a lady-driven Zen @ Madhya Kailash signal, which had a "Caution : Half-tickets on board" sign at the rear.
A welcome/funny change over the usual "Kids on board" / "Prince on board" / "Princess on board" signage that we normally see.

BTW, what is the point of this sign ? Is it a warning to other road-users about naughty kids on board ? I never understood what it conveys - as one driving behind such a car, what is expected of me ? I am anyway not going to bang the car in front, whether it has kids inside or adults - too much of costly SGP in the front of my car to take such a risk.
I have one too on my car and do not think that there is any point to these signs other than being "cute". But it was I think Thad who had written that the board might help rescuers to be alert to the presence of children during a crash. Might be wrong though.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:27   #1113
Distinguished - BHPian

I did write that, yes. It's just what I was told. Previously, I thought exactly like SupremeBaleno. In reality, though, I think that people, for some perverse reason, just like shouting out, "Hey! I've got children!"

Maybe here it means, there is a child on my lap who might grab the wheel without warning.

More fun (and realistic) than the hallowed child names on the rear window was one that I saw once which said, The Brats. Just in case we didn't get the point, somewhere else on his car (it was a call taxi, I seem to remember) he had put, Teenagers are horrible.

Names are a delicate business. So easy to offend, and, honest, I don't mean to... but could there really be an Indian name, P Nuss? OK, so I'm sure nobody will believe me, but I did see it on a rear windscreen.
Old 8th May 2012, 09:12   #1114
BHPian

Guys,
Have you noticed the shortage of Diesel in the city lately? Some bunks were saying they've run out of diesel, some were giving only Rs.500 worth, and some are selectively giving it to their Regular customers!! Does any know about the reason for this shortage?
Old 8th May 2012, 09:42   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Guys,
Have you noticed the shortage of Diesel in the city lately? Some bunks were saying they've run out of diesel, some were giving only Rs.500 worth, and some are selectively giving it to their Regular customers!! Does any know about the reason for this shortage?

Indian Oil bunks have a issue..BP and HP do not
Old 8th May 2012, 10:01   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Biju, I had one that said "Caution: Driver Asleep".

A colleague of mine actually came up to me and asked if I was Ok.
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 13:06   #1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They were, of course, both the right answer

I know there is a national and general conversation going on here --- but, Chennai-specific, has anyone heard that anything is being done or is likely to be done in and around our city about the Supreme Court sunfilm issue?
Strangely, there have not been any action from the Chennai cops yet. I have been driving my car quite freely (mine has a very light 3M film) and have not witnessed a single incident of cops stopping cars for sun films. I even spoke to my friends and most of them were not even aware of the rulings. Just yesterday, I observed cars in my office parking lot; almost 95% of them had some tint or another. Just wondering, if we "lucky" Chennai-ites are being spared?
Old 8th May 2012, 15:28   #1118
BHPian

I am hoping that the police have confidence in their skills to protect the city, rather than insisting on removing the film. I still do not believe that films which comply with RTO regulations are a threat to the society. I am hoping that someone file for a stay, and then have a re-trial!! Not sure of the legalese.

The sad part is, no long drives to adjacent states of Kerala and Bangalore.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:01   #1119
BHPian

Just like the start-stop drives done for helmets, seatbelts - I believe this sun film rule too will be made into a nuisance for a couple of days and then forgotten by the cops unless they have nothing else to make money off you.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:55   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Swift parked on our street having this sticker on the front windshield at top - "Survival of the Swiftest", which I thought was a pretty cool play on Darwin's theory.
But the "Caution : Homo sapiens onboard" sticker on the rear windshield was kinda stretching it too far.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:08   #1121
BHPian

Posters and Stickers on cars - Does it mean that the Car has an attitude? or Does it mean that the owner is making a statement? :-)
Old 10th May 2012, 12:28   #1122
BHPian

Baby on Board , is used when you have a child seat in the rear. Just a warning to vehicles behind to keep distance and avoid rear ending.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:32   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Traffic near Guindy railway station towards parrys is getting better. There is a police helping with movement of vehicles from the b ustand as well as through traffic acting as a signal. This has ensured smooth movement till alexander square at least. The worst part of early morning traffic is from Nandanam towards Park sheraton. Its getting nastier day by day.
Old 10th May 2012, 13:40   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Read this in the paper a few days back about the extra cost incurred due to the diversions on Mount road:

Times of India Publications

Is it really that bad? I dont use this stretch very frequently and hence do not know the impact it is having currently on the motorists
Old 10th May 2012, 14:57   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, what is the point of this sign ? Is it a warning to other road-users about naughty kids on board ?
I have one on my car. It is just a (harmless) thing to do.

But this is a good use for these signs:

Tube trials "Baby on board" badges for mums-to-be | Transport for London

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks