Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 19:21   #1216
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Your point will be valid provided every motorists follows the speed limit. I think the speed limit in OMR is 65 km/h. But the most points discussed is all about violations and how to cope up with so many violations around.
Actually, I think the limit on the city end of it (in fact all of the OMR I mostly ever use, which is north of Perungudi) is only 40. That is not to say that 60 is not the norm, and I'd agree that, regardless of the rule, it is foolish and dangerous to put oneself in the way of traffic doing 60 or even 80, especially on a light two-wheeler.

One day, speed cameras will come to Chennai. We may see some changes then. We will certainly hear some crying!
Old 11th July 2012, 21:00   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Speed camera is there in Chennai for a long time. I got my first speeding ticket in 1989 in greenways road near Aiyappa temple.
Old 11th July 2012, 21:13   #1218
Senior - BHPian

I got my speeding ticket with speed gun in 2004 when the inspector read out the speed I was in my bull. Paid some 300 rupees at that time and I was guilty as charged.

Have lost appetite to fight or go on road rage. Enjoy driving and find ways to avoid certain roads at certain time.

I never take mount road from say lic in the evening. Instead fund ways to get to guindy through kotturpuram
Old 11th July 2012, 22:27   #1219
Distinguished - BHPian

I mean the fixed, permanent ones. Everybody over the limit as they pass gets snapped and sent a ticket. These are big earners in UK, and although, of course, local authorities deny it, many think that they are more about money than road safety.

Actually, in this environment, the single, fixed camera would be lethal. Many would just brake hard before the road markings, many more wouldn't even know what was going on, and much rear-ending would ensue. The really cunning ones come in sets: they catch your number plate as you proceed and calculate your average speed over the stretch. Nasty. But effective!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 09:48   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I mean the fixed, permanent ones. Everybody over the limit as they pass gets snapped and sent a ticket.
Heh. The owners will resort to the simple trick of obscuring the number plate :-)

In any case, enforcement would be a problem, with the accuracy of RTO records on vehicle ownership non-existent, inaccurate or highly questionable (today's Mathrubhumi has an article on KL-10/11/12/13 autos running in Mysore - illegally, and usually stolen vehicles or vehicles seized by local financiers).
Old 12th July 2012, 09:50   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Water-logging on the OMR toll-road - at the road in front of TIDEL Park and later in front of the HCL office. With all vehicles staying away from the left lanes which are water-logged, there was a minor jam at 9AM today. Would possibly intensify as time goes by & traffic peaks.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:31   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Because people litter the roads, though they tried cleaning the silt and water channels, some areas face the ^^^
Old 12th July 2012, 16:59   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Water-logging on the OMR toll-road - at the road in front of TIDEL Park and later in front of the HCL office. With all vehicles staying away from the left lanes which are water-logged, there was a minor jam at 9AM today. Would possibly intensify as time goes by & traffic peaks.
And to think there is a fairly expensive toll for using that road! Phew!
Old 12th July 2012, 17:11   #1224
Senior - BHPian

OMR - Should this even be a toll road. Personally i would like to find ways to cheat this road for i dont believe its right to collect toll in this road.

The govt is part of this scam is what i feel.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 18:07   #1225
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the Tidel Park stretch is not a toll road.

I can understand that drivers do not want to drive through water. It is very wise to accept that we cannot know how deep it is or what pot holes there are. But many of the drivers on a stretch like that will be every-day commuters who can easily know that the road is free of potholes, and judge the depth of water from the curb. I'm surprised that the regulars, at least the larger ones, didn't press on regardless, or even far too fast!

(I was just going to sleep when the heavy rain started )
Old 12th July 2012, 18:29   #1226
BHPian

The last few pages of the thread reflects what has been going on my mind for the past few months. i.e. frustrations due to slow moving two wheelers on right most lane, bikes cutting lanes, too much honking, picking up speed only to break hard at the next signal, vehicles from two parallel lanes taking a right or U-turn at the same time, vehicles parked near turns blocking traffic, construction items (sand, gravel) etc on streets blocking traffic. overspeeding on small streets when kids playing, speed breakers with bad design, driving on the wrong side (including police men) ... The list is endless and the BP shoots up when I encounter this and thought that I am the only guy who is feeling these. Looks like Chennai traffic has increased many folds while road sense down the drain.

However, while the frustrations are valid, have got to agree with VW2010. We need to cool off as there are too many uncontrollables. I have been talking to friends and non -bhpians on road manners and have at least convinced one guy who had mended his driving style a bit.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:22   #1227
Senior - BHPian

@VW2010, there are ways to bypass the tollgates (I wont call this cheating), but the roads are bad & narrow - not worth the damage to your car.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:39   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, the Tidel Park stretch is not a toll road.
I haven't been there in 4 months, but when I was there and every time I used to pull up at the toll gate to give the one or two way toll and land straight in all that traffic and 1.5 lane road, I used to feel that the road was not worth the toll being collected at all. If you are on the GQ, let's say and you pay too, you get a lot more for the toll you pay. I hope they have completed laying the service roads and there is no more parking on the OMR per se.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:00   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I haven't been there in 4 months, but when I was there and every time I used to pull up at the toll gate to give the one or two way toll and land straight in all that traffic and 1.5 lane road, I used to feel that the road was not worth the toll being collected at all. If you are on the GQ, let's say and you pay too, you get a lot more for the toll you pay. I hope they have completed laying the service roads and there is no more parking on the OMR per se.
Hope is what keeps us going, the sad part in this case, is it is only hope. Though now a little wider than 1.5, I consider it an extended road tax, than a toll.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:15   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil
I hope they have completed laying the service roads and there is no more parking on the OMR per se.
Nope - no service roads or bus bays yet. Usually projects are executed very quickly in Chennai compared to other places. Eg.a flyover that would take years in Kerala would be done in few months in Chennai - so inconvenience is minimal to everyone. But with the OMR it has been the opposite, it is dragging for years now and to add insult to injury they not only collect toll for an unfinished road, but also increased the rates two times now. It started off as Rs17 one-way, then they made it Rs19 and from 1-July-12, it is Rs20.

In comparison, the barricades erected for Metro rail in Eekkadhuthangal are being dismantled and hopefully the full stretch would be available to motorists after relaying. That was quick IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks