Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 20:25   #1231
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

My interaction with the OMR is limited to two stretches - Madhya Kailas to Taramani and Sholinganallur to Padur. I am generally OK with the former, except the idiots who try to enter LB Road (which merges with OMR near the Taramani signal only on one carriageway). But the latter stretch is a different story. Despite paying toll for this stretch, it is only 1.5 lane wide per carriageway, service lanes are nonexistent, folks drive the wrong way with impunity, buses and maxicabs and share autos all consider it their private space and pedestrians crossing on an as-is-where-is basis and so on... it is a nightmare.

Unfortunately the alternate route to Padur (ECR - Kovalam - Kelambakkam) has an even heftier toll :(
Old 12th July 2012, 22:33   #1232
Senior - BHPian

I cannot believe they forgot to construct a flyover in front of Tidel. Why cant they construct one now.

Hate this country when it comes to the lethargy when it comes to infrastructures.

Love this country for its surviving at the moment in spite of this nonsense infra less metros.
Old 13th July 2012, 00:49   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't believe there is still no right turn towards Adyar from OMR!

There is supposed to be a flyover planned from LBR to ECR. Maybe it will fork towards Tidel Park. Still, an OMR flyover would be good, and relatively simple.
Old 13th July 2012, 07:46   #1234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
I can't believe there is still no right turn towards Adyar from OMR!

There is supposed to be a flyover planned from LBR to ECR. Maybe it will fork towards Tidel Park. Still, an OMR flyover would be good, and relatively simple.
A flyover is almost ready below Indira Nagar metro station. Will provide easy access to adyar depot junction. You need to take a u-turn at madhyakailash though and come back though.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 08:16   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A flyover is almost ready below Indira Nagar metro station. Will provide easy access to adyar depot junction. You need to take a u-turn at madhyakailash though and come back though.
This U Turn is getting blocked most of the days in the evenings. Can never trust this U turn to be operational and end up wasting 30 minutes to take an u turn opposite IIT signal.

Also there is a news today in TOI about Hi Tech traffic management using CCTV etc. I want to see those zipping past me at high speeds getting caught.

But again those with a flag on their cars never get caught.

I wonder why these partymen who make a buckload of money dont have 20-50 rupees to pay for the toll. Shamless and worthless piece of human beings.
Old 13th July 2012, 08:53   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
But again those with a flag on their cars never get caught.

I wonder why these partymen who make a buckload of money dont have 20-50 rupees to pay for the toll. Shamless and worthless piece of human beings.
ROFLMAO: VW2010: Thats why they have a party flag and a "white" Scorpio / Safari / Bolero driven the way no one should!

Do you think we lesser mortal can be a party to that? Never

Sorry for OT:
lets get back to Traffic and Chennai roads and not veer into politics!

EDIT: When they designed the OMR - They never expected Adyar, Thiruvanmiyur, Perungudi, Velachery / OMR areas to have so much traffic. That part of the city always has traffic snarls thanks to poor road planning and foresight!

Last edited by headers : 13th July 2012 at 08:56.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:35   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: When they designed the OMR - They never expected Adyar, Thiruvanmiyur, Perungudi, Velachery / OMR areas to have so much traffic. That part of the city always has traffic snarls thanks to poor road planning and foresight!
Think of it the new flyovers or road diversions are also short term solution. The OMR when extended, the dept ignored a flyover at Tidel, shollinganallur.

Shollinganallur roads were dug up throughout this process and they could have easilly constructed the flyover.

A simple illustration of bad planning-

3 Lane from Chengelput - Becomes 1 lane near Irumbuliyur

Becomes 3 lane after irumbuliyur till you enter pallavaram where its almost 1.5 lanes.

Again expands to 3 lanes till the air port flyover and becomes 2 lane just opposite BMW and Honda showroom.

Again expands to 3 lanes only to become a 2 lane after flyover.

Just when you feel it will be 2 lanes and traffic will correct itself, the saidapet bridge expands the road for more confusion to do nothing but again create a bottleneck near the bus stand.

Whoever designs these roads are bothered about junction based solution and not for future proof.

The Anna flyover is the only flyover designed with future in mind at that time. For the traffic at that time the lanes are big, roads are wide and does not converge immediately into a bottleneck(Not comparing with today's traffic)

Even now perungalathur traffic is absolutely crazy and no action has been taken to fix this problem.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 19:51   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I mean the fixed, permanent ones. Everybody over the limit as they pass gets snapped and sent a ticket.
That will not be a success for long here in India. People will learn where they are and slow down before that. These surprise mobile cameras are a serious bother though. Got caught twice for doing 62 & 67 kmph on a 60 and 40 km speed limit stretch, couldn't argue.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:03   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
When they designed the OMR - They never expected Adyar, Thiruvanmiyur, Perungudi, Velachery / OMR areas to have so much traffic. That part of the city always has traffic snarls thanks to poor road planning and foresight!
That was some serious miscalculation. Both Tidel Park signal & the Thiruvanmyur signal are in desperate need of flyovers. It's just sad that half the public takes the illegal route of driving on the service lane on OMR. That's the easiest road-rage-creation formula on earth.
the.city is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 21:26   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That will not be a success for long here in India. People will learn where they are and slow down before that.
In UK....

1. The road has to be marked for the timed photos to prove the speed of the car

2. There has to be speed-camera warning signs .

3. Most car navigation systems even come with speed-camera warning alerts.

Yes, most people hit the brakes as they come to the road markings and then speed up again afterwards --- but they still collect a large amount of money, and have some effect on overall speeds.

The average-speed-over-a-stretch systems, though, are really effective, because the only way to be sure is to drive under the limit.

How about India starts with Red-signal cameras? I thought Chennai already had a few, but, since I heard that I haven't seen any.
Old 15th July 2012, 00:43   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How about India starts with Red-signal cameras? I thought Chennai already had a few, but, since I heard that I haven't seen any.

Here you go, a sea change for Chennai come September, the first of it's kind in India as reported.
Quote:

The ambitious Rs 117 crore scheme, which is a first of its kind in the country, through which 100 arterial traffic junctions in the city will be integrated and brought under CCTV surveillance with state-of-the-art-facilities to ensure smooth traffic flow and streamline the traffic violations as well.
The system comprises traffic junction surveillance system and automatic number plate reading system (ANPRS) through which vehicle numbers of traffic offenders would be identified and challans sent to them with visuals of the offence.
ITMS would also provide a seamless passageway to the ambulances and VVIP vehicles by giving green signals at the three consecutive junctions ahead and help nabbing the criminals by signaling red lights.
The entire infrastructure will be built on wireless connectivity and all the integrated traffic junctions monitored through a giant video wall at the control-command-centre (CCC) that is being set up at the upcoming new police commissionarate, which will also come under security surveillance
Sea change to Chennai traffic | Deccan Chronicle
esteem_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 10:17   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Trafffic snarls in the last two days:-

1) Perungalathur bridge - As always after a small rain the bridge has opened up some pot holes and there is a slight hold up towards Tambaram

2) Between Benz show room near airport and guindy fly over there a couple of pot holes towards parrys which is slowing down the traffic.

3) This is the worst of the lot. After alexander square there are no roads. More offroading skills required and this is holding up traffic from Guindy bustand to Saidapet bridge by atleast 30 minutes depending on time of travel. 30 minutes at 12 noon. So evening and morning could be different beast all together.

Long live the metro construction and our highway department. They cant lay this stretch to avoid the snarl and have not done anything from Friday to Sunday. I dont know if anything has happ;ened between 12 yesterday and now but i would avoid taking this route untill the roads are fixed.

Instead i am taking the pallavaram, OMR, Trivanmiyur roads to reach my destination avoiding waiting in cars for 30 minutes in Guindy.

Just a word of caution.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 10:41   #1243
BHPian

Folks. Can you please enlighten me on the speed limits on the main and arterial roads in Chennai. I have noticed a few of you seem to be aware of the speed camera usage by the cops. Any further information as to what the limits are and the roads that are most commonly used for speed surveillance ( No I dont drive fast, its just that I can be extra careful if I know the hot spots)
Old 16th July 2012, 11:06   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks. Can you please enlighten me on the speed limits on the main and arterial roads in Chennai. I have noticed a few of you seem to be aware of the speed camera usage by the cops. Any further information as to what the limits are and the roads that are most commonly used for speed surveillance ( No I dont drive fast, its just that I can be extra careful if I know the hot spots)
In true spirits if your are not lugging your engine and driving in 5th gear inside the city you are over speeding most of the time

Within city 40-50 should not get you caught.

Arterial roads 60 is max and chances of getting caught over 60 raises 5 % for every 5KMPH till 70 and 25% per 5KMPH after 70
Old 16th July 2012, 11:35   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Folks. Can you please enlighten me on the speed limits on the main and arterial roads in Chennai.
Mount Road: 4 wheeler-50kmph, 2 wheeler- 40kmph
( on sections where metro work is going on 30kmpl for all vehicles)
PH Road: 4 wheeler-50kmph, 2 wheeler- 40kmph
( on sections where metro work is going on 30kmpl for all vehicles)

Both these arterial roads are maintained by NHAI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks