Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 12:38   #1351
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Mate, why troubling the "mama". He himself is under so much pressure to clear the traffic and has no other go but to hurl abuses. They stand under sun for 12-13hours and no one just cares about them. Leave aside the govt. buses, check out the share autos and truck wallahs. Poor humans. Although I am not supporting their action, but at the end of the day, they are humans too.

On the other hand, the one way from saidapet court till Rajbhavan has done a bit to ease of the traffic but with the current dig ups for metro, there is much more pile up and the junction before Ashok leyland building, the road that comes from velacherry, Gurunanak and joins the Rajbhavan road is always a mess. People who want to go to saidapet have a headache while joining the traffic. I believe there was a signal installed but as long as I was there, I used to be the only one fool who stops at that signal.
I accept it that they are also humans. But what the "mama" told pised me off. His words translated "They are driving for their livelihood, you are driving for fun, #$%&*#@#$$#%&$% cant you adjust wait and go?"
This was what made me get down from the car and start the fight. Just because i go in a car with ac it doesnt mean i am getting money just like that. I wanted him to understand that. How i wish he had touched me. I would have ended his police career made him regret talking like this. !!!
Old 28th August 2012, 13:19   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
I accept it that they are also humans. But what the "mama" told pised me off. His words translated "They are driving for their livelihood, you are driving for fun, #$%&*#@#$$#%&$% cant you adjust wait and go?"
This was what made me get down from the car and start the fight. Just because i go in a car with ac it doesnt mean i am getting money just like that. I wanted him to understand that. How i wish he had touched me. I would have ended his police career made him regret talking like this. !!!
That shows how much understanding he has got regarding the way society operates. If I were you, I wouldnt let someone spoil my mood and definitely I would have done something differently such as smile and say definitely officer, park my car to the side, let the bus go, ask the officer if I can go now & salute him . Am sure he wud never say those words to a car again .
BoeingDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 13:32   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How i wish he had touched me. I would have ended his police career made him regret talking like this. !!!
Just for the interest, what would you have done ?
Old 28th August 2012, 13:36   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Just for the interest, what would you have done ?
Call up my BIL, raise hell and ask him to call up the assistant CM's secratary and make sure i torture every family member of mine till that fellow gets suspended without pay atleast!
Anandv267 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 13:49   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo
The road that comes from velacherry, Gurunanak and joins the Rajbhavan road is always a mess. People who want to go to saidapet have a headache while joining the traffic. I believe there was a signal installed but as long as I was there, I used to be the only one fool who stops at that signal.
Well, with cops lying in wait out of sight on the left, it is better to be seen as a fool than waste time and money paying a traffic ticket.

BTW, before I discovered the road under Velachery flyover which goes straight to OTA, I used to take the Velachery road and found the above mentioned signal to be strange. When it is green for those coming from Velachery, I would expect it to be red for those coming from Raj Bhavan so that the former can merge onto the road without issues. But it would be green for both, leading to a mess at the junction. And if you wanted to not just merge, but cross over to the other side to go to Saidapet, it was downright dangerous to do so given the speeding vehicles coming at a right-angle at you. And when the signal is red for you, it is red for the folks from Raj Bhavan too, which was again strange because now the whole junction is free of traffic. Not sure if this has changed since.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th August 2012 at 13:56.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:09   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Call up my BIL, raise hell and ask him to call up the assistant CM's secratary and make sure i torture every family member of mine till that fellow gets suspended without pay atleast!
Chennai, traffic police have been instructed to be polite to law abiding citizens. It is not that we wanted tom,dick & harry to be police constables, it is their choice to become one and stand under the sun for 12-13 hours a day. They will have to respect people irrespective of them in a 2,3,4,6,8 wheelers.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:27   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Chennai, traffic police have been instructed to be polite to law abiding citizens. It is not that we wanted tom,dick & harry to be police constables, it is their choice to become one and stand under the sun for 12-13 hours a day. They will have to respect people irrespective of them in a 2,3,4,6,8 wheelers.
I agree sir. But according to majority of the policemen, the people travelling comfortably are getting money by doing nothing and should be penalised abused and harassed for no mistake of theirs because they are rich. I hate this attitude in policemen. The "mama" should have talked the way he talked to me to some big shot. Then he would have realised how police are supposed to behave with the public.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:36   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
That shows how much understanding he has got regarding the way society operates. If I were you, I wouldnt let someone spoil my mood and definitely I would have done something differently such as smile and say definitely officer, park my car to the side, let the bus go, ask the officer if I can go now & salute him . Am sure he wud never say those words to a car again .
He would be embarassed to his last cell of his body. Imagining you doing it, in the middle of the road and that too you in your uniform.

Quote:
Anand, why do you want to trouble CM or your family for a constable. You always get the area ACP's number from CCTP website or call up the Commissioner(Traffic), his cell number can be googled. Just inform him the situation and see the response then! If you cannot find the number, call up the control room, they will have to link you to the concerned ACP/DCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, with cops lying in wait out of sight on the left, it is better to be seen as a fool than waste time and money paying a traffic ticket.

BTW, before I discovered the road under Velachery flyover which goes straight to OTA, I used to take the Velachery road and found the above mentioned signal to be strange. When it is green for those coming from Velachery, I would expect it to be red for those coming from Raj Bhavan so that the former can merge onto the road without issues. But it would be green for both, leading to a mess at the junction. And if you wanted to not just merge, but cross over to the other side to go to Saidapet, it was downright dangerous to do so given the speeding vehicles coming at a right-angle at you. And when the signal is red for you, it is red for the folks from Raj Bhavan too, which was again strange because now the whole junction is free of traffic. Not sure if this has changed since.
+1

As long as I was driving/in India (read untill Feb 2011), that status of the signal was exactly as you mentioned. I used to take this route regularly to drop mom and my vehicle's service centre is just before the signal(SMK suzuki). Not sure of the current status, well I don't think much would have changed either!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 28th August 2012 at 14:39.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:43   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
... And when the signal is red for you, it is red for the folks from Raj Bhavan too, which was again strange because now the whole junction is free of traffic. Not sure if this has changed since.
Pedestrian green, I guess, and also allow bicycles/2-wheelers coming directly from the Saidapet side (using the small road opposite to the road from Velachery) to cross over to the Velachery side.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-haldasignal.png

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 28th August 2012 at 14:46.
Blue Thunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:33   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Nice initiative by one of Chennai's RTO:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3845213.ece

Quote:
License-seekers at K.K. Nagar RTO have to give a personal undertaking on road safety measures

The next time you visit the K.K. Nagar Regional Transport Office (RTO) for getting a licence, make sure you give a personal commitment towards road safety. The officials at the RTO have been asking applicants to fill in a card with an undertaking on following traffic rules.
On a daily basis, over 150 applicants visit the K.K. Nagar RTO for getting a new licence, licence renewal and transfer. “The card contains space to fill the applicant’s name, e-mail address and their two personal commitments towards road safety,” said V. Madhavan, motor vehicle inspector at the K.K. Nagar RTO.
The project, which is the brainchild of K. Mahadevan, a petroleum retailer, is being carried out in collaboration with the Transport Department. “In the existing scenario, there is no process to evaluate how much the applicant knows about road safety. Now, road accidents pose a higher threat than heart attacks. Through the cards, we try to ensure applicants think about the mistakes they make,” said Mr. Mahadevan.
So there is finally some change happening!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 1st September 2012 at 12:34.
Old 1st September 2012, 18:44   #1361
Senior - BHPian

@Anandv267: You said that the cop never touched you. Now that itself is proof that he respects you. Now if you were a truck or auto driver, he would have slapped you. Cops generally treat people they perceive as educated or upper class with respect (whatever they are capable of).
@Boeingdriver: satire would be lost on a traffic constable. He'll probably punish your cockiness.
@AlphaKilo: a good initiative would be barricaded bus lanes and auto lanes.

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 1st September 2012 at 18:48. Reason: addition
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 16:17   #1362
BHPian

Here is something positive I ve observed in Chennai as compared to other cities in Tamilnadu or for that matter when compared to cities like bangalore or hyderabad.

1. More prevalent usage of signals even for lane change !!
2. Better lane discipline compared to other cities.
3. More courteous to ambulance/fire engine (I ve noticed almost the whole stretch on an extremely busy road gives way to the emergency vehicles)
4. Honking exists obvious but definitely on an reduced scale.
5. Better usage of side mirror (almost most of the cars have it open atleast)

Fact is the road users in Chennai are much more rules aware then the ones in Madurai or Trichy.

So have to give chennaiites their due credit.
Old 6th September 2012, 17:15   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is something positive I ve observed in Chennai as compared to other cities in Tamilnadu or for that matter when compared to cities like bangalore or hyderabad.

1. More prevalent usage of signals even for lane change !!
2. Better lane discipline compared to other cities.
3. More courteous to ambulance/fire engine (I ve noticed almost the whole stretch on an extremely busy road gives way to the emergency vehicles)
4. Honking exists obvious but definitely on an reduced scale.
5. Better usage of side mirror (almost most of the cars have it open atleast)

So have to give chennaiites their due credit.
1. Do you mean people indicate? What about cabbies/Autos/MTCs who have no working electrical parts in their vehicles except spark plugs? I am pointing them because though they are less in number compared to private vehicles, they cause a huge menace than any private vehicle.

2. Lane discipline? I felt southern districts especially coimbatore better than Chennai.

3. I guess thats due to the recent drives conducted by Police to leave way to emergency vehicles. Good to see something is having a good effect. But I still hate the people who tailgate the emergency vehicles.

4. Sir, with all due respect, I feel you have got used to the excessive honking that you feel it has reduced.

5. Thats true, but did you take a moment and look into the mirror, as in where it is pointing towards or does it have a glass portion there or just the cover remaining open to prevent cyclists/bikers from scratching their sides.
Old 6th September 2012, 17:54   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. Do you mean people indicate? What about cabbies/Autos/MTCs who have no working electrical parts in their vehicles except spark plugs? I am pointing them because though they are less in number compared to private vehicles, they cause a huge menace than any private vehicle.

2. Lane discipline? I felt southern districts especially coimbatore better than Chennai.

3. I guess thats due to the recent drives conducted by Police to leave way to emergency vehicles. Good to see something is having a good effect. But I still hate the people who tailgate the emergency vehicles.

4. Sir, with all due respect, I feel you have got used to the excessive honking that you feel it has reduced.

5. Thats true, but did you take a moment and look into the mirror, as in where it is pointing towards or does it have a glass portion there or just the cover remaining open to prevent cyclists/bikers from scratching their sides.
1. Yup may not be the autos but definitely noticed an significant improvement with the cabbies and infact I have noticed a lot of people now know the hazard lights are meant for unsafe condition and not for driving straight.

2. Not very sure abt CCB but MDU/ TRZ is terrible.

4. Reduction in any form is an step in the right direction. Reduction in honking means people are now a bit more patient (probably micro second improvement).

5. Purely based on my observation from when I was in chennai half a decade ago to today, people are definitely looking at it before turning, bus guys drop their hand out if they have to turn left or right and find a car next to them..
BoeingDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 18:12   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. Purely based on my observation from when I was in chennai half a decade ago to today, people are definitely looking at it before turning, bus guys drop their hand out if they have to turn left or right and find a car next to them..
That I too agree with you! I have see many MTC drivers(in 2010 last when i was in VOMM), use proper indicators even while turning into/out of bus stops. But those were drivers with the then new JNNURM Leylands/volvos. Not sure how is it now, given the way our MTC buses are maintained.
But on the other hand, I believe that MTC bus drivers, if given well maintained, comfortable buses will surely be more well behaved drivers. I can understand the stress they must be going through to maintain time and driving in between such a chaos that too with a bus which has not many properly working electrical/mechanical components. Added to all these the poor drivers are asked to maintain a F.E of around 5 Kmpl which in my opnion adds to their stress levels.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks