Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:00   #1396
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Sometimes wonder if we even have a govt functioning at our place!
Its the job of the corporation of Chennai to ensure that roads / drainage / communication channels / water supply etc are in good and correct supply.

The Govt, I doubt has much influence over it, rather than allocation of budgets and resources.

The working team is always the corporation chaps and they need a good leader.
Old 24th October 2012, 17:10   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Hey buddy.. where is the exact spot you had this? I live near by so curious to know
Good that you helped him

thanks,
R
Hi Bro,
The incident happened at the mudichur-Tambaram road before the tambaram bridge. Near hotel anjappar to be precise.Numerous potholes and craters cropped up during the rains.I took the guy to AG Hospital. Seems like, they have put some gravel over the craters now.

, I use to spot a nicely maintained Maroon Punto with t-bhp stickers in the same road regularly. Is that you? your signature mentions that you own a punto. Hence the question. However, not able to see that car nowadays.
kablu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 10:02   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Driving on chennai roads have become a nightmare in the recent rains all thanks to the corporation which has taken things very lightly all these days. Most of the roads have been dug up on the pretext of cable laying and to close it back it take ages or unless a high profile politician passes by the stretch it gets closed.

The worst affected are the 2 wheeler riders getting into big pot holes and injuring themselves. And to top up the craters crushed bricks are put to close the craters formed making it even worse.

Sometimes wonder if we even have a govt functioning at our place!
The signals don't work, the waters don't drain, there are pot-holes on the road and some idiots too. It just took me a little over 1.5 hrs from Thoraipakkam to my office in Tidel. There is massive flodding after toll gate till the Perungudi Signal. There isnt any way for the water to drain. It just boggles me how these people call this a highway. To top it all there is a toll charged!? Seriously?
Old 25th October 2012, 10:17   #1399
BHPian

The authorities had patched up the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road only ten days ago and the road is already cracking up thanks to the recent rains.What sort of road laying is this??On tuesday I saw them digging up the road.Hopefully they relay the full road.Simple patchups don't last long simply because the road wasn't built to handle such heavy traffic in the first place.
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 13:51   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
The authorities had patched up the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road only ten days ago and the road is already cracking up thanks to the recent rains.What sort of road laying is this??On tuesday I saw them digging up the road.Hopefully they relay the full road.Simple patchups don't last long simply because the road wasn't built to handle such heavy traffic in the first place.
It is not road laying but just an eyewash to the public that some work has been carried out! The corporation is handing over tenders to the contractors for carrying out repairs but i have never seen till today either the contractor nor any responsible person from the corporation side inspecting the road laying procedure.
Worst possible combination of tar and gravel is used in the road laying process. How can this last for a time? Even if 1 heavy vehicle goes past it will start developing cracks. Just imagine the number of vehicles growing per day and the amount of road tax the government is collecting. Where does this all go?
Old 25th October 2012, 13:53   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Hi Bro,
The incident happened at the mudichur-Tambaram road before the tambaram bridge. Near hotel anjappar to be precise.Numerous potholes and craters cropped up during the rains.I took the guy to AG Hospital. Seems like, they have put some gravel over the craters now.

, I use to spot a nicely maintained Maroon Punto with t-bhp stickers in the same road regularly. Is that you? your signature mentions that you own a punto. Hence the question. However, not able to see that car nowadays.
Wow. That's me. Sometimes I take vandalur-kelambakkam-Sholls route to office to avoid mad traffic at medavakkam.
Next time, just flash/honk, we could catch up.

BTW, you did a nice thing by taking him to hospital. They lay that road at least 3 times a year , still road gives up. Why? every time it will same bad quality
Old 25th October 2012, 14:07   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
It is not road laying but just an eyewash to the public that some work has been carried out! The corporation is handing over tenders to the contractors for carrying out repairs but i have never seen till today either the contractor nor any responsible person from the corporation side inspecting the road laying procedure.
Worst possible combination of tar and gravel is used in the road laying process. How can this last for a time? Even if 1 heavy vehicle goes past it will start developing cracks. Just imagine the number of vehicles growing per day and the amount of road tax the government is collecting. Where does this all go?
Agreed but honestly this is an improvement over the old regime AFAIK when they took too long even to initiate patchup work.Roads in Mogappair are being dug up,pipes are being laid to facilitate laying of cables in future(without digging up the whole road),then relaid.Hope this trend continues!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Wow. That's me. Sometimes I take vandalur-kelambakkam-Sholls route to office to avoid mad traffic at medavakkam.
Next time, just flash/honk, we could catch up.

BTW, you did a nice thing by taking him to hospital. They lay that road at least 3 times a year , still road gives up. Why? every time it will same bad quality
Spotted your Punto(I think) just outside Sipcot over a month back.Mine is a Sandrift Grey Cruze that was parked on the left with "gotbhp" stickers.
Old 25th October 2012, 20:41   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Where does this all go?
Well who do you think pays for those butch SUV's the politicians drive?

Before we start blaming the govt for poor quality of roads let us think for a min how many of us follow lane discipline. Trust me. if people follow 2 lanes exactly in OMR without jumping lanes every 10 seconds, there would be very minimal traffic jams.

How many of us jump to the next lane the min some one in front of us brakes? do we have the patience? no we dont. We want to go there first.

Sirs we are not not perfect. especially me. We need to correct ourselves before we blame others.

I will stand by what i say. Traffic is not cause by bad roads alone. The major reason is stupid drivers and riders. And trust me lot of those people whom we point fingers at saying he doesnt drive/ride properly are very well educated people(if we look at it from the owning a degree point of view).

Last but not least. when you are pointing your finger at someone saying that person is driving like an idiot, there is someone in some vehicle behind you pointing at you and commenting on your driving skills.

Peace.
Anandv267 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 20:47   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
The issue with flooding is dirt and trash thrown everywhere but the dustbins. We hardly have a culture for NOT throwing trash on the road.
All drains get clogged and hence the water stagnation, which worsens over time.
Could be true of roads in residential areas, but the OMR is not only a new road, but also one that is devoid of residences - atleast in the areas where flooding was seen (opposite TIDEL, opposite Prince Infotech, Jain college etc, Olympia tech park etc). It is just plain bad design of the water-drainage system, if there is one that is.

BTW, to have a culture of throwing trash in dustbins, we need to first have dustbins placed everywhere, right ?

It is actually funny that the major loss of time/fuel occurs in what is supposedly the "hi speed corridor" and not in the city. Today, left at 11:25AM from home and reached office on OMR at 13:15PM. Close to 2 hours for what in the afternoon normally takes less than an hour. And the drive all the way from NelsonManickam road - Sterling Road - N.H.Road - Mount Road - Cenotaph Road - Kotturpuram was a breeze, while it took 1 hour just to navigate the ~4kms from Perungudi to Thoraipakkam on the toll-road.
Old 25th October 2012, 23:45   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
while it took 1 hour just to navigate the ~4kms from Perungudi to Thoraipakkam on the toll-road.
I endorse my opinion on that stupid road and the nonsensical toll you pay on it to get 1.5 lanes each of chaos and tons of flooding and haphazard traffic. They should just abolish toll on that road till the time it becomes worthy of collecting toll!

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 25th October 2012 at 23:49. Reason: grammatical error
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 07:55   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Could be true of roads in residential areas, but the OMR is not only a new road, but also one that is devoid of residences - atleast in the areas where flooding was seen (opposite TIDEL, opposite Prince Infotech, Jain college etc, Olympia tech park etc). It is just plain bad design of the water-drainage system, if there is one that is.
@Biju @ SB:

Trash is not necessarily at Residential areas, it is out on the ROAD WHERE people walk / jump across the median however wide it may be etc.

Have you seen the size of the storm water drains on OMR - One could ride a bicycle inside.

TIDEL is one of the worst places on OMR due to unruly, educated guys not wanting to use the foot over bridge to cross the road.

Ofcourse, the cab drivers and their driving skills does affect the overall traffic chaos.

BTW, traffic in Chennai is definitely better than many other cities
Old 26th October 2012, 08:33   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They should just abolish toll on that road till the time it becomes worthy of collecting toll!
That can happen only when the rich people going to work in this section stops taking car for a month altogether and protest for a week in front of the toll. Civil rights movement kind of move.

The ones with the fancy cars will never resort to anything that may have a slight impact on their own life. Lets never blame the govt for we elected it and we are too chicken to protest this toll. As civil society the govt will have to obey to the request you make as a society. There is no reason why this stretch is made toll road and all the folks working in this belt could care less about the 600 rs they spend every month.

If Auto wallas can reverse their decision of toll the same should be applicable for others.

We lack unity but will cry all the time including me.
Old 26th October 2012, 10:02   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you seen the size of the storm water drains on OMR - One could ride a bicycle inside.
What is the point in having a drain inside which one could even drive a car if it does not serve the purpose for which it was built ?

Quote:
TIDEL is one of the worst places on OMR due to unruly, educated guys not wanting to use the foot over bridge to cross the road. BTW, traffic in Chennai is definitely better than many other cities
Maybe one needs to look at why people don't use the over-bridge. In the initial MRTS days, the way the TIDEL overbridge was designed, it meant that folks coming via MRTS had to walk down from the station to main road level and then climb up the bridge to cross OMR. Don't you think things could have been made simpler by having a walkway connection from the platform/station level to the overbridge so that people just walk across to TIDEL ? It took them months / years to do this. Same for the thousands of people crossing P.H.Road opposite Central station to get from Central to the 2 Park stations. Why not have a walkway that links Central-main, Central-suburban, Park-MRTS & Park-electric so that pedestrian traffic has no reason to spill onto the motorway ? Provide people a better/rational solution and then we will see them using it.

Ofcourse Chennai traffic is better than many cities. But does that mean, we can't / shouldn't make it even better ?

BTW, today things were much better. Reached office in 50mins (8:25AM - 9:15AM). Maybe it being a holiday for many offices helped, but did not see water stagnation on OMR, which also made traffic flow better.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th October 2012 at 10:03.
Old 26th October 2012, 10:14   #1409
BHPian

Please avoid the Vandalur-Kelambakkam for the next 2-3 hours,the CM is visiting.I got stuck for a little while today morning but things are only going to get worse until she leaves!!
KINI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 10:19   #1410
BHPian

Was suprised to see soo much of police presence while touching the Kellambakkam - Vandalur road trhough a short cut from Madambakkam.
The road changed a lot between Wednesday and today morning from a horrible patchy road to almost smooth road covered with freshly laid bitumen patches.
Thanks to Jaya amma's visit to the police academy. The road is not 'cruisable' till 'AR' university now.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed