Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 01:03   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Left office on OMR at 8:30pm - reached home at 11, for something that would usually take an hour max. There were atleast 2 stretches that were like rivers - I almost thought I would lose the car to engine-damage due to water getting in. Crappy road for which we pay toll, while the older roads in the city have no issues.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:54   #1457
BHPian

Seems like I chose a good day to bunk office then!!Any pointers on how the Vandalur-Kelambakkam--Bypass route roads are holding up??
Old 4th December 2012, 07:33   #1458
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I left office yesterday at 9:30PM and I was home at Perambur after dropping my friend at Kellys by about 10:45PM. I guess all the chaos cleared by the time I left office.

But OMR was bad, there was only one lane that could be used, rest of the roads were filled with water. Water was gushing out of one of the drainage point in front of NIFT like it was a fountain

I was watching the traffic situation on the whole TIDEL stretch in Google Traffic, left office when it actually turned amber.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:28   #1459
BHPian

Thank god i bunked office yesterday. All thanks to my car which i thought was punctured. The fact being that the alloy valve (mouth) got damaged due to rough handling by a petrol bunk air station attendee.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:38   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Traffic and life in chennai should be changed to Traffic and lack of life in chennai. The rains are toying with human emotions and that of patience. If you do not have any patience please stay indoors. Else you can enjoy hours on roads trying to reach your destination.

Boat club/Boat house roads actually need boats to commute. Chrompet problem is a typical example of what our politicians lack. Planning

Long live the rains, metro and auto wallas
Old 4th December 2012, 10:50   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Boat club/Boat house roads actually need boats to commute. Chrompet problem is a typical example of what our politicians lack. Planning
I have been using the Chromepet - Guindy route for over 25 years. There never was any water logging. The problem near Chromepet station has started only for the past two years or so. There must be a reason, though I can't put my finger on it yet. Perhaps because a couple of lakes have disappeared due to the greed of politicos, leaving the water nowhere to go.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:06   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem near Chromepet station has started only for the past two years or so

Till yesterday the problem used to be near that vetri theater. Yesterday it was on both sides. 4 lane become 1 on each side and it was a sad sight to see traffic all the way from vetri theater to MEPZ. Imagine the plight of those wanting to go home at 9 and reaching at around 12. Thats sad for a monday. Ok for a friday though
Old 4th December 2012, 11:08   #1463
BHPian

Some lingering images about rains in Eliots Beach
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-madras1.jpg  

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-madras2.jpg  

Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 12:26   #1464
BHPian

I was not aware of the whole issue on OMR, and left office near Navalur Toll plaza around 10:00, hoping the roads would now be free. How wrong I was!! First the timing coincided with all the office cabs, secondly the Traffic Jam due to the water logging and the fact some of the vehicles being stranded due to the water logging, and finally the attitude of all the drivers. It was a harrowing experience crossing Navalur to Tidel.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:04   #1465
Distinguished - BHPian

DIYers, and those who just daydream about it... Chennai Hand Tools Exhibition, this weekend at the Trade Centre.

Bound to be something there useful to every one of us!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 19:53   #1466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai Hand Tools Exhibition, this weekend at the Trade Centre.
It was riveting.

There were also vast numbers of spanners, wrenches, screwdrivers, power tools. Lots and lots of good stuff.

International names such as Bosch, Stanley, Black and Decker, were there. The famous American company Snap-On was there. Lots of Chinese companies. Some very good stuff from Indian companies, both retailers and manufacturers.

Had the pleasure of meeting Mr Prowler.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 10:50   #1467
BHPian

Just read about this Horrifying Accident on OMR at Perungudi. May their souls RIP

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/f...e-otherstories
Old 10th December 2012, 11:02   #1468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Just read about this Horrifying Accident on OMR at Perungudi. May their souls RIP

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/f...e-otherstories
Not accusing anybody, but i think Chennai brought in a very good system 3 years back with the deluxe buses getting auto-closing door. Sadly, i dont see the system being followed that much these days!

May their souls RIP.
Old 10th December 2012, 13:48   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. This explains why traffic was at a stand-still for 30mins or so from Price Infotech to Lifeline hospital on OMR today at 12noon. Plus the heavy deployment of cops in front of Lifeline hospital & presence of OB vans / reporters with videocams. Sad. May they RIP.
Old 10th December 2012, 13:55   #1470
Senior - BHPian

They may RIP. But their poor parents never will. It will be a very long time before they even sleep again.

So many morons do not listen when the conductor tells them not to travel on the foot-board. They turn on him instead. Many years ago, police used to wait at strategic junctions and beat the foot-board wallahs with a latti. They should resume it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks