Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 14:23   #1486
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I wrote to The Hindu...

Quote:
In your editorial you state that the root of the problem is grossly underfunded public transport. This is part of the problem, but not the root. The root is the road culture of aggressive lawlessness.

Correcting this is a major task, ranging from driving instruction, through proper tests (especially for professional drivers) to law enforcement on the street. Education is a key word, and the media can play a huge part in this, but it is not doing so with just the regular column inch or two on the latest road fatality.

It requires a long-term commitment to driver education. The Hindu can help. Will you do it? When will you start?
I don't think I've ever had a letter to a newspaper published (except one to Yachting Monthly!) and I don't suppose this one will be either.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 22:45   #1487
BHPian

Honestly, there is an equal issue with the infrastructure. I have travelled few times this year by bus. buses on the omr are crowded period. i have many times travelled from tidal park to shollinganallur on footboard. not exaxtly the footboard but the bus steps, holding on tightly to the pole. I have my company laptop and my galaxy note. I was so afraid and given the option, I would never stand there but I had to stand there because of the crowd.
Old 14th December 2012, 00:19   #1488
Distinguished - BHPian

Good grief... this incident must have affected me. I would never dream of travelling on the outside of a motor vehicle like that --- and I dreamt about doing so last night.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:40   #1489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wrote to The Hindu...

I don't think I've ever had a letter to a newspaper published (except one to Yachting Monthly!) and I don't suppose this one will be either.
Gosh... They printed it!

Slightly edited, though. The point of the the thing was the challenge to the media, but maybe they don't accept!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 17:51   #1490
BHPian

Guys,for the next one month I have to be at Thoraipakkam by 9 am and leave by 5 pm.I live in Mogappair.Which route would you suggest??I was thinking Nelson Manickam road-TNagar-Saidapet-A.U-Madhya Kailash route.Is that route free in the morning.I'm planning to leave early maybe by 7 15am.Is that early enough to beat traffic??
Any alternate routes while returning??
Old 14th December 2012, 21:33   #1491
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Gosh... They printed it!

Slightly edited, though. The point of the the thing was the challenge to the media, but maybe they don't accept!
Good work Thad! Perhaps if a few more of us take up this issue and challenge this particular media house - with its track record of highlighting socially relevant issues - they may support our cause.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 06:01   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI
Guys,for the next one month I have to be at Thoraipakkam by 9 am and leave by 5 pm.I live in Mogappair.Which route would you suggest??I was thinking Nelson Manickam road-TNagar-Saidapet-A.U-Madhya Kailash route.Is that route free in the morning.I'm planning to leave early maybe by 7 15am.Is that early enough to beat traffic??
Any alternate routes while returning??
If you don't mind paying, I would suggest the chennai bypass road to reach tambaram. From there, you can take either the velachery main road or the pallikaranai 100 ft road to reach thoraipakkam. Please check locally on the road condition of these two routes. I left chennai in early 2011 and it was around that time the pallikaranai road had deteriorated. But public works in chennai are fantastic and I won't be surprised if you have fresh tarmac on that stretch. This route would be relatively very stress free, as against going thru the city.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 07:11   #1493
BHPian

Now a days I can see this habit more often, that when you are reversing your car people crossing behind your car will not stop or wait till you complete your reversing. They keep on going/crossing your car while talking over mobile or friend. They never worry that you are reversing or your car car is moving backwards.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:26   #1494
Team-BHP Support

Guys, HUGE traffic block on mount road, towards guindy. I am caught at saidapet for past 30 mins with engine switched off and not even able to move an inch.

I guess it is atleast a few kms long. Can see people abandoning buses and walking amidst traffic.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 13:33   #1495
Senior - BHPian

The Vice-President of our country is in the city today for some function. I am guessing, it could be that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, HUGE traffic block on mount road, towards guindy. I am caught at saidapet for past 30 mins with engine switched off and not even able to move an inch.

I guess it is atleast a few kms long. Can see people abandoning buses and walking amidst traffic.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:36   #1496
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The Vice-President of our country is in the city today for some function. I am guessing, it could be that!
Yes. Should be. Posted while I was still stuck in that traffic, but then it all got cleared like nothing ever happened! Moving ahead, saw the police stationed every 100 meters around Guindy circle.

On another note- anyone else feels this December has been hotter than previous few? I mean, its December 22nd, and my MID is still showing 34 degrees at 2pm.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 15:16   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...On another note- anyone else feels this December has been hotter than previous few? I mean, its December 22nd, and my MID is still showing 34 degrees at 2pm.
It cant be Dec 22nd yet (...ever ? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-world-10.html )

On a serious note, yes, I also thought it was too warm for December nowadays. This year, the climatic conditions have been screwed up post Cyclone Nilam, I think.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 21st December 2012 at 15:19.
Old 21st December 2012, 19:56   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI
Guys,for the next one month I have to be at Thoraipakkam by 9 am and leave by 5 pm.I live in Mogappair.Which route would you suggest??I was thinking Nelson Manickam road-TNagar-Saidapet-A.U-Madhya Kailash route.Is that route free in the morning.I'm planning to leave early maybe by 7 15am.Is that early enough to beat traffic?? Any alternate routes while returning??
I have no idea about the Mogappair - NMRoad stretch since its been a long time I went that side, but the rest of your route is what I do daily to work and back. So here's how I do it.

Onward journey : N.M.Road, Gemini, Cenotaph Road, Kotturpuram, M.Kailash, OMR, Thoraipakkam. If you leave at 7:15, you should be at NMRoad easily in 30mins or lesser and at that time there isn't much traffic all the way to OMR.
Might be a a bit longer km-wise, but nice to drive and maybe save time too.

Return journey : From OMR, get onto Chennai one, right at Kamakshi hospital, take the road at left of Velachery flyover, straight to OTA, then Kathipara, Kasi theatre, ashok pillar. From here I take the right after pillar and get into Choolaimedu at powerhouise signal. You would need to go straight from pillar to Koyambedu and on to Mogappair. If you leave work at 5PM, it is a breeze till Ashok pillar. No idea of how it is from there to Mogappair.

I was expecting choked roads, trains today too due to X'mas rush, but it was not so. Then remembered that apart from Sabarimala rush and those travelling for X'mas, there won't be anyone else. As for the last few years, our office is closed from tomorrow till 1-Jan - a period for all to rest and recuperate, without worrying about work.

Wishing all Chennai-ites a Happy New Year. And for those that celebrate it, a Merry X'mas too.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 20:00   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Merry Christmas Biju. I had spotted you on Tuesday, I was in my white Figo with a LTD decal

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wishing all Chennai-ites a Happy New Year. And for those that celebrate it, a Merry X'mas too.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 20:17   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Arun. Where did you spot me ? I keep seeing many cars with TBHP decals, but seem to have missed you. Would have spotted you if you were in the 1.6S (now sold, I guess), but did not know that you had a Figo too. I thought you bought a Jazz and were planning to get a Laura TSi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks