Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 18:37   #1861
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
for someone who stays near OMR (say Navalur/semmencherry), what is the best route with predictable (?) traffic to reach Chennai Central ?
The aim should be to approach Central via MRC Nagar, Santhome, Marina and the flyover between Park and Medical College. Santhome is the unpredictable part in this route (now that Thi Vi Ka bridge has been widened, it is not a problem anymore). I would take OMR, Sholinganallur, ECR, TN-07 RTO, Valmiki Nagar, Besant Nagar, Fortis Malar and the above route but you can try Tidel Park, Thiruvanmiyur, Indira/Kasturba Nagars and SP Road too.
Old 8th August 2013, 20:26   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The aim should be to approach Central via MRC Nagar, Santhome, Marina and the flyover between Park and Medical College. Santhome is the unpredictable part in this route (now that Thi Vi Ka bridge has been widened, it is not a problem anymore). I would take OMR, Sholinganallur, ECR, TN-07 RTO, Valmiki Nagar, Besant Nagar, Fortis Malar and the above route but you can try Tidel Park, Thiruvanmiyur, Indira/Kasturba Nagars and SP Road too.

Had I asked for this info earlier, my friend wouldn't have missed his 7 45 PM train from chennai. We started from my home in Navalur at 5 45, only to be stuck between perungudi and Ascendas signal for more than 45 minutes and then took the bad decision to go through Anna salai which added to the woes, only to reach Central at 8 10 PM.
Old 8th August 2013, 20:38   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
stuck between perungudi and Ascendas signal for more than 45 minutes
Uh oh... scratch this part: "but you can try Tidel Park, Thiruvanmiyur, Indira/Kasturba Nagars and SP Road too" :-(
Old 8th August 2013, 20:50   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian
Had I asked for this info earlier, my friend wouldn't have missed his 7 45 PM train from chennai. We started from my home in Navalur at 5 45, only to be stuck between perungudi and Ascendas signal for more than 45 minutes and then took the bad decision to go through Anna salai which added to the woes, only to reach Central at 8 10 PM.
To start with, it is severe miscalculation of Chennai traffic to start only 2 hours earlier, when trying to reach Central which is in the heart of the city from a place like Navalur, which is faraway (traffic-wise) suburbs. Secondly, if it is just 1 person or a few folks without much luggage, like Silversteed suggested, the best (and quickest) option in Chennai is its electric/mrts train network - believe me, nothing can beat it in helping you reach your destination on time. Once you lost time at Ascendas, you should have immediately got to the nearest MRTS station (Perungudi/Taramani/Tiruvanmiyur).

You say 7:45PM train, so possibly it is the Tvm Mail and which I take on a weekly basis (posting this from the train). From my office at Thoraipakkam on OMR, I leave at 5PM, reach my home at Choolaimedu by 6PM or so, drop the car there, walk/auto to Nungambakkam station, catch a train to Central which takes 10mins. The 8km distance that the train covers in 10mins cannot be done during that peak traffic even on a bike.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th August 2013 at 21:12.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 20:59   #1865
BHPian

Well, it was a miscalculation to leave at 545. But then had no other option as there were 2 small kids as well as 4 big suitcases as my friend had arrived fRom Qatar on his way to kl. So we decided against trying the mrts. Another mistake was to try the anna salai from madhya kailash instead of the beach road. Well, he ended up returning on the next day as his kids wanted to experience Indian trains.
Old 9th August 2013, 10:06   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it was a miscalculation to leave at 545. But then had no other option as there were 2 small kids as well as 4 big suitcases as my friend had arrived fRom Qatar on his way to kl. So we decided against trying the mrts. Another mistake was to try the anna salai from madhya kailash instead of the beach road. Well, he ended up returning on the next day as his kids wanted to experience Indian trains.
Uh oh! I didn't think of the part about luggage. If there isn't much luggage, then the option I suggested would work out. Else, it's better to start at least 3 hours before the departure time. Especially for the trains to Kerala - the Tvm Mail, M'lore mail and Aleppey Exp (all of them leave Central between 7:45 and 9, IIRC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You say 7:45PM train, so possibly it is the Tvm Mail and which I take on a weekly basis (posting this from the train). From my office at Thoraipakkam on OMR, I leave at 5PM, reach my home at Choolaimedu by 6PM or so, drop the car there, walk/auto to Nungambakkam station, catch a train to Central which takes 10mins. The 8km distance that the train covers in 10mins cannot be done during that peak traffic even on a bike.
Slightly OT, I had spent a good portion of my career in Chennai, and my sister used to stay in Choolaimedu as it's closer to LIBA. We have some fond memories from Choolaimedu and Mehtanagar areas as well as some of the small but VFM hotels in and around that area
Old 9th August 2013, 10:29   #1867
Senior - BHPian

I always prefer the suburban train from Chromepet to Park, if I have to catch a train at Central. The ~ 28 KM distance will be covered in just 40 minutes and nothing else can beat that. Even if there is luggage, I still prefer it. But will get down at Egmore and take an auto from there in that case.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 11:57   #1868
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I always prefer the suburban train from Chromepet to Park, if I have to catch a train at Central. The ~ 28 KM distance will be covered in just 40 minutes and nothing else can beat that. Even if there is luggage, I still prefer it. But will get down at Egmore and take an auto from there in that case.
We used to use the local Electric trains when in College at Tambaram.
Coming back for new semester we would hop off our Nilgiri Express at Central Station, walk across to Park station and go down to Tambaram, all for the princely sum of Rs 3 or 4/-.Going home through Central Station,we would hop on at Tambaram, hop off at Park and walk across. Amazing efficient in terms of time and energy.
The only hassle is that the trains always make you smell of iron, when you use them. Plus Madras's sweltering heat and less than salubrious climate was always a disadvantage.
Considering that Madras and Bombay had this excellent electric suburban train service operational right from the 1950's-1960's, I cannot understand the great ado and noise all these states and cities, especially Bangalore, are now making about their new Metro services.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 12:41   #1869
Senior - BHPian

^^ Those would have been the metre gauge days, now it is broad gauge!

It still costs just Rs 10.00 for the trip to Tambaram!

The services date back to 1930!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 10:14   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Police to book drunken drivers under attempt to "culpable homicide not amounting to murder". An excellent idea, to curb this menace.

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/c...cle1730112.ece

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/c...cle1730126.ece
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 14:18   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Police to book drunken drivers under attempt to "culpable homicide not amounting to murder". An excellent idea, to curb this menace.

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/c...cle1730112.ece

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/c...cle1730126.ece
Good initiative !

I hope the Chennai Traffic Police also take stringent action against rash driving...which can be just as disastrous.

I keep seeing many cases of cars (cabs as well as private) being driven rashly, esp on ECR within city limits, overtaking from the left, almost touching the pedestrians walking on whatever space is available by the side of the road.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 16:13   #1872
BHPian

Come august 15th, i think we will have major traffic diversions everywhere. Also, are the bikers going nuts these days? The majority of them seem to be a very impatient lot and this hasn't been kind on the car as well :( I have all sorts of marks on either sides of the car which makes me shed a few tears everytime i look at them. No matter how careful i am they always come and scrape the car...
Old 12th August 2013, 18:01   #1873
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic diversions are announced in the newspaper today. As I am nocturnal, they should be long-since over by any time that I am likely to be on the road
Old 14th August 2013, 10:42   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Some news to cheer for the IT people living in the outskirts of Chennai

Quote:
The Eastern Bypass Road was conceived to ease traffic congestion on Velachery Main Road and Grand Southern Trunk Road. It will connect Rajakilpakkam on Velachery Main Road and Perungalathur on GST Road.

Once the 9km long road is ready for use, motorists heading from the IT Corridor towards Chengalpet and Trichy will not have to pass through crowded Tambaram.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21815964.cms

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th August 2013 at 10:45.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:00   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Some news to cheer for the IT people living in the outskirts of Chennai

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21815964.cms
I suppose every little bit helps - but how is this road going to improve things unless the Sholinganallur-Medavakkam stretch is also developed at the same time? This stretch used to be a pothole-ridden nightmare the last time I checked.

Most Viewed