Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 04:26   #1906
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamson View Post
Yes. Please don't bother. It was a waste of 50 bucks, fuel and time.

No stalls except for cars and nothing new on display even within those.
Thanks. It is so sad that these people can't put on a decent expo, but looks like I might as well forget about it next year too.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:10   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Used the OMR toll road to commute to office and what joy!!! I think they should increase the toll charges from the measly 20 Rs. which they charge. In addition to being an "expressway" it becomes a waterway as well during rains. Now which other road in the city offers such a feature (I know there are many )?

For one stretch you drive on the left side of the road, then you need to abruptly move over to the right side of the road, you have to avoid the buses which splash water at you with disdain. What an adventure!!! For the increase in my heart rate at least to ensure that water does not enter the silencer, they should now charge similar to what amusement parks charge as entry. End of rant.
arvind71181 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 20:40   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Used the OMR toll road to commute to office and what joy!!! I think they should increase the toll charges from the measly 20 Rs. which they charge. In addition to being an "expressway" it becomes a waterway as well during rains. Now which other road in the city offers such a feature (I know there are many )?

For one stretch you drive on the left side of the road, then you need to abruptly move over to the right side of the road, you have to avoid the buses which splash water at you with disdain. What an adventure!!! For the increase in my heart rate at least to ensure that water does not enter the silencer, they should now charge similar to what amusement parks charge as entry. End of rant.
^^ is because the "educated" public using / living in the area throw thrash on the road which blocks the drainage system.

And how many of them use road overbridge to cross the road during peak hours?

It starts at Tidel park and goes all the way till siruseri, [I mean people jumping the medians]

Beyond that the road is a fairly good till Mahabs.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 14:07   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Like call taxi and call auto services, a new initiative "Call bike" service has been started in Chennai, although at a small level as of now!

https://www.facebook.com/chennaicallbike
Old 19th September 2013, 14:20   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Like call taxi and call auto services, a new initiative "Call bike" service has been started in Chennai, although at a small level as of now!

https://www.facebook.com/chennaicallbike
I somehow don't buy the idea of extending the "CALL" concept to the two wheeler segment.

It has too many inherent risks and limitations that will hardly make it commercially viable.

Moreover the above page looks like a desperate start up initiative by a bunch of non serious amateur folks. It does not have their phone number listed not does it talk about the pricing. None of their bikes are commuter friendly too!

In a pretty conservative city like Chennai, this will be a strict No-No.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-capture.png
Old 21st September 2013, 21:22   #1911
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how many of you are aware of this.

TRAUMA CARE CONSORTIUM.

This is a non-profit charitable organization operating from Chennai for more than 15 years. I am a long time member. For a membership fee of approx Rs 1.50 per day, they offer the following services:

1) Immediate round the clock accident rescue by one of their 12 radio connected ambulances, placed at strategic locations in the city. Prompt attention during the "Golden Hour" immediately after the accident.

2) Member will be taken to a nearest empanelled hospital, if unconscious. If conscious, to a hospital of his choice.

3) Insurance cover for treatment up to Rs 40,000 and compensation of Rs 1 lac in case of loss of life or total disability.

4) Members will be issued a photo ID card with vital statistics, which they should carry at all times.

5) All accidents will be covered, not only road accidents. Even if one slips and falls in the bath room, resulting in injury, they will still come for rescue. Ideal for the elderly.

6) Small business units can cover their employees against all accidents, including work place ones. I have covered the watchman and sweeper of our apartment complex, apart from taking one policy each for my family members.

7) They also hire out their ambulance at a nominal cost for shifting patients (non-members), even to out of town locations.

Costs only Rs 550.00 per head for the first year, slightly less for the second. The advisory panel includes Dr.Suniti Solomon, Kamal Hassan, Mr.Walter Dewaram and other prominent citizens.

Please contact them on 9382224870 or nanatcc@hotmail.com and avail of their services.

Please note I have no connection with TCC, other than being a member.
Gansan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 21:58   #1912
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you. I often wonder what to do in case of emergency, on road or off. This looks just the thing. I'll get my wife to call them on Monday, and probably sign us both up.
Old 24th September 2013, 13:05   #1913
BHPian

This is a very crucial info and will help save lives.
I have already noted the details. Thanks.
Old 24th September 2013, 15:41   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'll get my wife to call them on Monday, and probably sign us both up.

@Thad, I just love your signature!
Old 24th September 2013, 17:02   #1915
BHPian

With the recent changes in traffic in sholinganallur junction, how does the tolling work?

Do we need to pay toll if we just cross OMR from medavakkam road to ECR? Earlier, they used to give a pass 10-15mins one free to just cross the junction. How does it work now?
Old 24th September 2013, 17:30   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
With the recent changes in traffic in sholinganallur junction, how does the tolling work?
No change to that. If we mention that we are going to ECR, Rs.0 ticket will be issued at the entry toll(near HCL) which needs to be presented at the exit toll. Applies for the return from ECR as well.
pisthpeeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 20:18   #1917
Senior - BHPian

CTP has taken the drive against DUI to the next level. Instead of charging a fine of few thousand rupees (which most people are wont to pay and drive off), they now seize the car, which can only be collected the next day after a trial at the traffic-court and payment of the imposed fine. This takes up most of the work-day and hurts folks more than a fine. A friend had his new City taken away for the night & which he collected the next day after spending half a day & more at the court. It did help in the sense that he now uses a cab/auto when he has had a couple drinks.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th September 2013 at 20:48.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 20:58   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Instead of charging a fine of few thousand rupees (which most people are wont to pay and drive off), they now seize the car, which can only be collected the next day after a trial at the traffic-court and payment of the imposed fine. This takes up most of the work-day and hurts folks more than a fine.
That's the right way of implementing the law! I look forward to Mr.Rishiraj Singh doing the same thing in Kerala. Kudos to CCTP for this drive. No doubt it'll make the roads safer for others
Old 25th September 2013, 00:40   #1919
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely. Whatever point is there in letting drunk drivers drive away.

First-class initiative. I'm really pleased to see this issue being taken seriously. Let us hope it goes on indefinitely.

What with this, and meters for autos (I have less hope of this being indefinite!) the Chennai streets may be becoming a better place
Old 1st October 2013, 11:04   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me where and how I should enter the Thuraipakkam - Pallavaram radial road, while coming to Chennai from Pondy via the ECR?

We are driving to Pondy tomorrow morning for our quarterly visit to the Aurobindo Ashram. I always take the Tindivanam route both ways and have not driven on the ECR for a very long time. Tomorrow I just might take the ECR while returning. I stay at Chromepet.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st October 2013 at 11:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks