Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 00:22   #2251
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

The first issue I pointed out (narrow sections of service road not having enough width for 2 vehicles to pass) is indeed a design-issue - on OMR this is usually seen at places where the bus-bay extends out of the main carriageway thus reducing width of service road there.

But not sure if the 2nd one is a design issue. At best (or worst), we can say that it is an issue with the folks coming in "wrong" direction, with most of them doing it to avoid going a km or so ahead and taking a U-turn instead. Then there are the issues created while they get onto the main carriageway too - instead of "merging", it is more like entering perpendicular to the traffic, which is dangerous.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:32   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Not sure if you guys noticed the hike in toll-charges on OMR ? It is now Rs22 (one-way), Rs40 (2-way) and IIRC Rs60 for a full-day-multiple-entry-exit pass.
I was wrong about the cost of full-day pass. Came via the Perumbakkam toll today and saw that it costs Rs70. And for anyone interested, the monthly pass is Rs1700.

So this is what like the 3rd hike since OMR became a toll road ? Before this hike it was Rs20 for one-way. And before that it was Rs19 or was it Rs17 ?

BTW googled and got some info from The Hindu :
"The toll rates were fixed for a period of 30 years, from July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2036 with an increase of 10% on existing rates every two years. The government has permitted IT Expressway Ltd to collect toll on the road for the above period. However, collection was only started with effect from December 15, 2008."

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th July 2014 at 12:51.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:45   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yesterday around 8PM am in a colleague's car at Sholinganallur signal, waiting for light to turn green to go towards Siruseri side. We are in the middle lane, there is a car to our left, but ahead of us (it's rear-bumper in line with our front bumper). A biker is behind said car. Light turns green, my colleague moves forward, not expecting the biker to move diagonally onto front of us. He brakes, but already contact has been made with the bike and the biker is yelling at us.

This surprises us no end because he was the one who rode wrongly, but then we understand that he is yelling that his leg is under the car's wheels. We slowly reverse so that he can extricate his leg. I walk out to survey the damage (light paint scrape on left side) and ask the biker why the hell he is trying such stupid stunts that could get him killed. His reply, "I did not expect the other car to brake". Ask him to avoid getting killed - he admits mistake and pushes the bike to the kerb. No helmet on him either.
+1 to this. Of late, I see bikers just cutting across to the adjacent lane without the slightest regard to the vehicle that's already there in the lane esp at signals or in slow moving traffic. I have lost count of such instances actually but my response is varied depending on the car I drive. If its the Esteem or the A-Star then I go really close to ensure he doesn't cut across. With the Civic, I don't take any chances and let the moron pass off by slowing down.
Old 9th July 2014, 14:22   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
+1 to this. Of late, I see bikers just cutting across to the adjacent lane without the slightest regard to the vehicle that's already there in the lane esp at signals or in slow moving traffic.
Even I had a similar situation and this was while negotiating a barricade. He moves across and is in my lane from left. I stop just short of hitting him but he still glares back and points to his bike indicator. How am I supposed to know he has his indicators switched on? when I am already level with him and my car bonnet would hide his indicator. And just because he has switched indicators does not give him right of way. He was not wearing a helmet and no he did not have any Rear view mirror as well.
Old 9th July 2014, 14:37   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Even I had a similar situation and this was while negotiating a barricade. He moves across and is in my lane from left. I stop just short of hitting him but he still glares back and points to his bike indicator. How am I supposed to know he has his indicators switched on? when I am already level with him and my car bonnet would hide his indicator. And just because he has switched indicators does not give him right of way. He was not wearing a helmet and no he did not have any Rear view mirror as well.
Cant agree more with you on this. Also, the other impact of such a maneuver is that the biker ends up scratching your front bumper/fender. One thing I consciously do of late while waiting at signals is to minimize the gap between my car and the one in front of me so that no biker can squeeze his way through the gap.

Also, I find very few bikes with mirrors of late. I believe this is done to aid the biker in easy navigation through tight spots but is a safety hazard.The police seem to be ignorant of the same and doesn't mind. Personally, I cant ride my bike without both mirrors.

Last edited by rr_zen : 9th July 2014 at 14:42.
Old 9th July 2014, 16:24   #2256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I cant ride my bike without both mirrors.
I saw a guy adjusting his hairstyle in his RVM the other day. He did not adjust the mirror before or afterwards, so he obviously thinks it is there for reasons of vanity, and has nothing to do with road safety.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:05   #2257
Senior - BHPian

^^^I know a few guys (& some gals) who don't wear a helmet because it apparently screws up their hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen
One thing I consciously do of late while waiting at signals is to minimize the gap between my car and the one in front of me so that no biker can squeeze his way through the gap.
Have been doing this for years now and it does help. But don't stay very close behind a truck/bus - sometimes they slide back which can be really bad for the car. Also, it helps to close the gap between the median and your car when on the right-most lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen
Also, I find very few bikes with mirrors of late. I believe this is done to aid the biker in easy navigation through tight spots but is a safety hazard.The police seem to be ignorant of the same and doesn't mind.
I was stopped (and fined) by a cop near the Saidapet bridge in 1992, since my friend's bike did not have a RVM. Also there used to be Rs50 fines for violating the StopLine at signals - if they brought this back in, we could have some order at traffic-signal junctions, instead of everyone slowly moving forward even when it is a red light for them.
Old 9th July 2014, 22:02   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
One thing I consciously do of late while waiting at signals is to minimize the gap between my car and the one in front of me so that no biker can squeeze his way through the gap.

Also, I find very few bikes with mirrors of late. I believe this is done to aid the biker in easy navigation through tight spots but is a safety hazard.The police seem to be ignorant of the same and doesn't mind. Personally, I cant ride my bike without both mirrors.

I too close the gap and not give room for bikers to squeeze in. Even if I am on my bike and see a nice car in front of me at the signal, if the driver has left a small gap between the car and the median, I will close in with my front wheel just inside the gap and stop there. Will not budge for the horns and entreaties of bikers behind me to go through or allow them to pass!

As for mirrors, I have never ridden without both the mirrors in the 30 odd years I have been riding bikes.
Old 10th July 2014, 11:11   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have been doing this for years now and it does help. But don't stay very close behind a truck/bus - sometimes they slide back which can be really bad for the car. Also, it helps to close the gap between the median and your car when on the right-most lane.
I agree. That's the challenge and one needs to be careful. Valid point on closing the gap between the median when in the right-most lane and I have been practicing this as well.

Quote:
I was stopped (and fined) by a cop near the Saidapet bridge in 1992, since my friend's bike did not have a RVM. Also there used to be Rs50 fines for violating the StopLine at signals - if they brought this back in, we could have some order at traffic-signal junctions, instead of everyone slowly moving forward even when it is a red light for them.
I guess the rule is still valid but thanks to the ignorance of the cops, the bikers go scot-free. Cant agree more with you on the stop line rule which is the most simple and basic of all and without differentiation the elite, poor, literates and uneducated flout it in unison
Old 10th July 2014, 13:12   #2260
BHPian

@Chennaiites who drive on GST

While climbing down from Kathipara fly-over in evening peak hours towards Airport, I encounter huge jam/slow down near Alandur Metro station (under construction) almost every week day. I just couldn't get what is causing this - Is it the sharp curve just before St. Thomas Mount Post Office? Or the vehicles slowing down to take left on to Adambakkam? Or is it just due to Metro work?
With this junction expected to be made the intersection point of several modes of public transport, I'm worried that the situation will only worsen in coming days, taking off any advantage of having Kathipara flyover.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:53   #2261
BHPian

The hell on GST road doesn't stop there, its prevailant even on the Guduvanchery-Chengalpet stretch. Now-a-days it takes more than 30 mins to from Urapakkam to cross and get beyond the Guduvanchery Traffic Signal. Earlier it used to take only 30 minutes from Urapakkam to Mahindra City signal. I don't know what causes this huge jam. My only guess is that half baked junction near the Guduvanchery Signal through which hordes of bikers and autos cross. The intersection is partially closed with rods that enable these fellows to get through and create an ruckus. I feel it should be closed completely as the U turn is not very far from that junction

Any thoughts my dear guys?

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 10th July 2014 at 14:55.
Old 10th July 2014, 16:46   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
The intersection is partially closed with rods that enable these fellows to get through and create an ruckus. I feel it should be closed completely as the U turn is not very far from that junction

Any thoughts my dear guys?
The intersection opposite Guduvanchery bus stand, is closed with rods but two wheelers and autos sneak through.

The signalled junction comes next to this and is a major source of bottleneck, as the perpendicular road joining there serves a lot of schools, companies, villages and also connects to old mahabalipuram road. Closing that would be impractical as the road is not wide enough for all the vehicles to wait and cross in the U Turn which is few meters away. It will be absolute mayhem. In fact, in the U Turn, none of the vehicles coming on the other side - towards Tambaram - have the patience and they start flashing their headlights and accelerate and halt with a screech when they realize the other vehicle is gonna turn anyways and stop a few meters from the turning vehicle. Scary!! I value my life and i wait to turn, and it takes 5-7 min or sometimes even more, for making the turn.

Only proper solution is 3 overbridges - one at Perungalathur, Vandalur and Guduvanchery.

Meanwhile, the nuts who plan for the NHAI have decided to connect the Outer Ring Road, just before the Vandalur signal, when they could have easily crossed the signal and then connected. More mayhem when ORR becomes functional.

I live in Guduvanchery and i avoid travelling to and fro city, between 7-10 in the Morning and 7-11 in the evenings.
Old 10th July 2014, 17:01   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
The intersection opposite Guduvanchery bus stand, is closed with rods but two wheelers and autos sneak through.
I actually meant closing this part only. The jam is formed in two parts - one before this "Closed" junction and the other needless to say due to the Traffic Lights after this junction.
Old 10th July 2014, 18:15   #2264
BHPian

Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I actually meant closing this part only. The jam is formed in two parts - one before this "Closed" junction and the other needless to say due to the Traffic Lights after this junction.

Is it a big bottleneck? I always thought, it doesn't make a big difference, as the queue for vehicles waiting in the signal usually extend beyond that.

But yeah, it can be closed. Actually it was closed with barriers, and those disappeared and made way for these rods!

Sometimes i wish they built an elevated tollway from Tambaram to Chengalpat, like the Bangalore one!

Last edited by Raghav_K : 10th July 2014 at 18:16.
Old 10th July 2014, 18:56   #2265
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkrishnan4 View Post
@Chennaiites who drive on GST

While climbing down from Kathipara fly-over in evening peak hours towards Airport, I encounter huge jam/slow down near Alandur Metro station (under construction) almost every week day. I just couldn't get what is causing this - Is it the sharp curve just before St. Thomas Mount Post Office? Or the vehicles slowing down to take left on to Adambakkam? Or is it just due to Metro work?
I had been driving through on the same road at least for last 5 years till April 30th, 2014 and this issue of traffic piling up was not there even during the peak Metro construction times way back. Actually this started happening just some 6 months back ever since the median just opposite to OTA was closed and all the vehicles coming from Airport has to take a U-Turn at the new median close to the mosque in St. Thomas mount. This had also let the vehicles coming from St. Thomas mount to take a U-turn there and subsequent jams in the peak hours. This really needs to be re-considered by the traffic authorities to ease the jams since one cannot imagine the situation once when Metro becomes functional.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks