Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2015, 02:34   #2446
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Guys, is this turning into the My City has the worst drivers conversation?
Old 9th May 2015, 09:20   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Guys, is this turning into the My City has the worst drivers conversation?
Also there's a constant thread of elitism of some sort running through several of the comments.

One poster early on in the thread was ranting about careless drivers "wearing tight, flashy clothes and with their wives having flowers in their hair", others have linked being uneducated with being careless drivers etc.

The thing we've seen consistently is that the careless drivers aren't all from north chennai, or from the slum equivalents of other cities. You get IT / BPO employees wearing arrow shirts and with iphones in their pockets who are just as bad or even worse. Oh lets be gender and brand neutral and say "or wearing salwar kameez and with an android phone in their handbags" - I haven't seen that sort of obnoxious driving behavior limited to male drivers.

This isn't a question of road rage or testosterone at all - it is quite often simply a "make this trip within a particular deadline or else .." type situation that those people are facing. Or maybe a "make X trips today or I'll cut your salary" situation, for the yellow board drivers out there - who get reviled most of all.

So while I don't like the behavior, and while I might honk and swear at whoever it is, I find it difficult to remain permanently annoyed, or worse, contemptuous of them.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 11:06   #2448
BHPian

When I drive the car I think why are the autorickshaws and two wheelers weaving in out of the traffic so recklessly. Shouldn't they be considerate to the four wheelers who need more space.

When I am riding my bike I weave in and out of the traffic and curse the car driver that he is inconsiderate and he doesn't allow me pass by quickly. I curse the pedestrian and cyclist that they should be careful and they don't care for their own safety and expect me to take care of their safety.

When I am walking or cycling I think that the guys on powered vehicles are reckless and don't care about those who use human power for moving about. Why can't they slow down since it is that much easy for them.

Basically I think that 'I' have always the right of way irrespective whatever mode of transport I use. The fault is always others and they are the ones who have to give way to me and be considerate... The day I change this attitude will be the day of salvation.
arulpeem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 13:38   #2449
Distinguished - BHPian

hserus, one of the in-thread "threads" in most of the Team-BHP bad-driver/road-condition threads that I read actually highlights that education and money not only doesn't make people better drivers, it quite often makes them worse. As to the pressures put on professional drivers, I agree. Buses being expected to meet decade-old schedules is ridiculous to the point of cruelty, and cab drivers, bike delivery guys, etc that have to drive for 18 hours to make ends meet, or are told to anyway, is all so wrong.

It is a bigger picture than the individuals concerned, but still I don't think we can excuse those individuals for bad, reckless and dangerous driving. And personally, I don't care if they are wearing a suit or a lungi ...or a salwar kameez!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 20:25   #2450
BHPian

Today has to be the worst experience ever that I have encountered while driving in Chennai. While exiting Phoenix market city made a mistake of turning right and going towards Velachery signal(Vijaynagar bus terminus) the 700m stretch from Simran's Appa Kadai to the signal took me 1 hour!!! Yes you read it right, no typo here. All this thanks to the new Saravana stores that has opened up next to A2B, man there was more crowd than what I've seen in Tirupathi!! Plus the stupid bottleneck at the signal, our great Chennai corporation not able to procure that land to widen it.

Fellow Chennai BHP-ians please avoid that road after 6PM in the evening.

Last edited by Shanksta : 9th May 2015 at 20:28. Reason: Adding info.
Shanksta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:40   #2451
BHPian

Friends, need some advice regarding usage of Kerala Registered Car in Chennai. I'm from Trivandrum and will be doing my internship in Chennai for 6 months and I'l be taking my Nano to Chennai. My daily commute will be between Koyambedu and Adyar. While reading online, I found that the maximum time permissible for out of state cars as 3 months. In that case, how can I manage the rest of the 3 months? And do you think if I make my purpose of visit clear ( College ID, Bonafide certificate, etc) to the traffic police, it's fine?

Also I have sun films in my car (all windows 50% visibility). Are cars still being caught for this in Chennai and do I need to be careful about it? Or better to get it removed?

Cheers and Thanks in advance
Old 20th May 2015, 13:45   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Drive back to Kerala once in 3 months for a holiday That way you have toll receipts etc to show that you have not been in Chennai for more than 3 months if you are stopped by the police.

Or are you shipping that nano in a truck to Chennai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Friends, need some advice regarding usage of Kerala Registered Car in Chennai. I'm from Trivandrum and will be doing my internship in Chennai for 6 months and I'l be taking my Nano to Chennai. My daily commute will be between Koyambedu and Adyar. While reading online, I found that the maximum time permissible for out of state cars as 3 months. In that case, how can I manage the rest of the 3 months? And do you think if I make my purpose of visit clear ( College ID, Bonafide certificate, etc) to the traffic police, it's fine?

Also I have sun films in my car (all windows 50% visibility). Are cars still being caught for this in Chennai and do I need to be careful about it? Or better to get it removed?

Cheers and Thanks in advance
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:55   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Drive back to Kerala once in 3 months for a holiday That way you have toll receipts etc to show that you have not been in Chennai for more than 3 months if you are stopped by the police.

Or are you shipping that nano in a truck to Chennai?
Haha was thinking of that too! And no. I'll be driving down to Chennai. Be it a Nano or a Merc, driving is the way to go! So maybe I'l just give a visit to Valayar once in three months and get back? Haha.
Old 20th May 2015, 14:48   #2454
Senior - BHPian

My KL01 Indica was all over the OMR during 2012-14, with a few visits into the city. I've been stopped & fined a ton of times - speeding, plastic number plates, sun film, DUI checks, but the KL registration was never bought up. I was told by another guy that his car was stopped & He was made to pay Life tax, but I personally have not had any experience.

If you're really worried, bring the padmini

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th May 2015 at 14:51.
Old 21st May 2015, 15:18   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My KL01 Indica was all over the OMR during 2012-14, with a few visits into the city. I've been stopped & fined a ton of times - speeding, plastic number plates, sun film, DUI checks, but the KL registration was never bought up. I was told by another guy that his car was stopped & He was made to pay Life tax, but I personally have not had any experience.

Haha. CCTP stop even TN cars if they want to file cases by bringing up something or the other. But most of the time, the bikes are the targets. You can pass through in your car without any issues as long as:

* You have NO tints
*You're wearing your seatbelt
*You have proper number plates

Other than that, they stop you at nights to see if you're DUI.

Chennai cops dont stop out station or out state vehicles unless you're seen roaming around suspiciously during the wee hours :P

In Bangalore, you get caught right when you enter the city to check your papers & toll receipts (especially if you own a TN vehicle)
Old 21st May 2015, 15:31   #2456
Senior - BHPian

Er you were stopped and fined for DUI?

Quote:

Old 21st May 2015, 16:05   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Er you were stopped and fined for DUI?
nah, that was just a stop and check. Sometimes they ask you to blow, sometimes they ask you a random question and figure it out while you're answering. I don't drink at all, so
Old 21st May 2015, 18:08   #2458
BHPian

Quote:

That's a long run! The Padmini is still in the workshop with no one to supervise the work as my dad is facing a few health issues too. So I don't know how the work is going to happen.

Paying the life tax will be scary! Maybe as suggested earlier, will visit the border once in 3 months for a trip - that'l help me enjoy a drive as well as relax in front of the police . Hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post

* You have NO tints
*You're wearing your seatbelt
*You have proper number plates

Other than that, they stop you at nights to see if you're DUI.

Chennai cops dont stop out station or out state vehicles unless you're seen roaming around suspiciously during the wee hours :P
So that means I'll have to remove my tints! God. Been enjoying them for the last four years and I find it really hard to remove them now. Argh. Also I've seen them stopping my uncles AP registered car multiple times just because of the registration. Let's see.

Thanks a lot
Old 21st May 2015, 18:12   #2459
BHPian

TN Ex CM is garlanding Dravidian leaders statues on the arterial road Annasalai around 2pm on 22nd May, Friday. There might be some traffic jam due to this and advisable to avoid this route starting from Gemini Flyover.
couswheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 20:04   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Are they still chasing tints. Thats a shame. I cant manage the heat here in Spring. They should allow tints in rear seat but keep the front clear so police can atleast see the drivers. Evern the rear windshield can be without tints but the rear sides are a must for carrying kids.

With car seat there is no way to hide sun hitting the poor child's face.

How is the traffic these days after Saidapet. Still 1 meter per 1 minute?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks