Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 01:41   #2461
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

"1 meter per 1 minute?"

Surely, sir, you must be thinking of London!
Old 22nd May 2015, 02:35   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Are they still constructing for ever on these roads. Why cant they build an overbridge all the way from saidapet to Nandanam. That is the most difficult session in early morning commute. Even airport section is super fast.Time for elevated highway from Chengelput to Egmore
Old 22nd May 2015, 05:52   #2463
Senior - BHPian

There are some lighter 3M films that still allow the cops to see inside, they don't seem to care as much about those. The really dark ones that politicians / actors use is what they object to when us aam janta use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Are they still chasing tints. Thats a shame. I cant manage the heat here in Spring. They should allow tints in rear seat but keep the front clear so police can atleast see the drivers. Evern the rear windshield can be without tints but the rear sides are a must for carrying kids.

With car seat there is no way to hide sun hitting the poor child's face.

How is the traffic these days after Saidapet. Still 1 meter per 1 minute?
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:39   #2464
BHPian

Lots of party people were streaming into the city in chartered buses and vans when I was driving down to work today on the GST road between vandalur and chengelpet. There is going to be a sure havoc created in the city today. I heard that the swear-in ceremony is happening on the Marina beach! watch out folks! who are heading that way!
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:10   #2465
Senior - BHPian

For people stuck in the traffic / having their bumpers scraped by over enthusiastic partymen riding vans and buses, it will be a swearing ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Lots of party people were streaming into the city in chartered buses and vans when I was driving down to work today on the GST road between vandalur and chengelpet. There is going to be a sure havoc created in the city today. I heard that the swear-in ceremony is happening on the Marina beach! watch out folks! who are heading that way!
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:14   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
A small correction - TOI reports that the Swear-in ceremony is tomorrow ie Saturday. Nevertheless, the city is going to be jam packed starting from today.
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:53   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The occasion : Ms Jayalalitha is going to garland the statues of Anna and MGR on Mount road starting 2pm today. There is already quite a traffic jam on Mount road, as lakhs of AIADMK cadres are streaming into the city.

I am sure the effect (traffic jam) of this will be felt in the whole of the city today.

Those who have planned weekend travel and need to reach Central/Egmore/Koyambedu in the evening will be well advised to start much earlier than usual, to reach on time.

The swearing-in is tomorrow.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:33   #2468
Senior - BHPian

The Thoraipakkam - TidelPark bus commute that usually takes me just 10-15 mins every Friday took ~25mins today. And this at 2PM which is low-traffic time. The SRP-tools to TidelPark stretch took like ages. Possibly the effect of all the swearings.

I am glad I am not in the city this chaotic weekend.

And I wonder at all the bloated egos out there that want to make a mountain out of a molehill - a swearing-in during the fag end of the 5-year tenure need not be held by disrupting everyone's life.
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 13:39   #2469
BHPian

Seriously - We need a change - a drastic one!!

Traffic comes to a standstill on Amma's day out

"Almost everyone stuck in traffic empathised with pa tients battling for life in am bulances. One ambulance rushing a patient to Apollo Hospitals on Greames Road was stuck near the G N Chet ty Road bridge around 10am, a witness said. "On Anna Salai, I saw at least three ambulances stuck for long before they found a way past," Yuvaraj said. Another ambulance driver cut across to the other side of the road to go to Nungambakkam with the help of two traffic constables at 3pm, long after Jayalalithaa had returned home"

Detailed news here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47393018.cms
gabrielthomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 14:11   #2470
BHPian

Noticed this car on the Adyar Bridge road near DR.MGR College. I am not sure if he is trying to show his love for his language in Karnataka or trying to be smart and not get caught in Chennai. Sorry for the quality. BTW for those who dont know Tamil its KA-03-MG
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img2015060100274.jpg  

Old 1st June 2015, 14:17   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Strikes me as a great way to attract cops in both KA and TN .. KA by having a number written in Tamil (illegal) and TN by having KA printed in Tamil.
Old 1st June 2015, 15:33   #2472
BHPian

^^Unless he has 2 set of plates to be used, one set for Chennai, and another one for KA. Normally the RTO or Traffic guys would have identified the vehicle to be charged from quite some distance, especially around the IT hubs. In such cases they might not focus on cars which have vernacular language.

Probably an additional set of plates might not be significantly costly compared to the fine. Just a different thought, not sure if its the same reason why he was doing it differently

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 1st June 2015 at 15:38.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 17:10   #2473
Senior - BHPian

I'm seeing a lot of cars with sun film on them and even the cops don't seem to bat an eyelid, here in Chennai. Even cars that are caught for other offences are left off, even though they have tints on them. Is there an update on the order from 2012? Ideally, I want to use dark tints on my new car but refraining from doing so.
Old 5th June 2015, 18:51   #2474
Distinguished - BHPian

These things seem to go in periods. Who knows when stopping for sunfilm may become fashionable again!

My feeling is that light film, that cannot easily be seen, will be a better risk.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 13:38   #2475
BHPian

Its more than two weeks with me driving in Chennai traffic and yeah, there's lot that I've learnt.

1) Erase off all knowledge about lane discipline -(Lane Discipline - what? What's a lane BTW )

2) Don't try to block any biker from overtaking you , either from the right or the left - kindly let them overtake. If you narrow the gap and don't let them, they'l scrape your ORVM and then overtake.

3) Deal Buses, Cabbies and share autos with utmost respect. They're like Temples and Gods - all you can do is pray, pray and pray that they don't ram onto you and give way whenever possible as soon as they start sitting on top of the Hornpad.

4) Where ever there's metro work happening between the two way traffic, keep the side close to the median - covered work happening zone. Even though you might have to change lanes once a while, you will not have to encounter "super" drivers changing lanes - which is the most dangerous I felt.

5) Never drive with windows rolled down - you invite infinite amount of dust as well as conversations of each and every biker going around you - yes, they are that loud! But I do keep it open once a while since it's really interesting to overhear them LOL

6) Better invest money on a Car Theatre and not on Home Theatre since the time you spend in traffic jams and signals are much more than the free time you get back home!

7) This last one is a wish though - I keep praying I have a 360 degree rotatable neck so that I can keep a check on the manner in which vehicles overtake and cut across.

This is purely my personal thoughts with humor added and is never intended to hurt anyones personal sentiments or opinion about the traffic in chennai.

Last but not the least, I would like to say that I just love driving here. It's been a very interesting experience!

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks