Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 18:08   #2746
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Maruti Suzuki gears up to service flood-affected cars in Chennai, MSIL will bear 50 percent of the cost.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (MSIL) said on Tuesday that anticipating huge rush for servicing of its cars post floods in Chennai, it has sent 150 technicians from different parts of the country here.
In a statement, it also said it has sent two truck loads of spare parts now stored outside Chennai to meet the demand for them.
Maruti Suzuki estimates that over 4,000 cars will be in immediate need of servicing.
As to the type of damages, the auto major estimates around 25 percent of the vehicles would have been fully submerged in the flood water; 42 percent submerged up to seat level and 33 percent up to carpet level.
Quote:
Noting most of the vehicles may not have comprehensive insurance, it also announced that it would bear up to 50 percent of the repair cost generally not allowed by insurers as depreciation/wear and tear.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/maruti-suz...--finance.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th December 2015 at 18:10.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:11   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Yup. I passed through it in the morning. Kotturpuram is one way from nandanam to IIT.

I will have to pass through it tomorrow again during my commute - I will update the status here.
That explains it. Looks like it has been made one way now, after the floods. One side of the bridge is closed for traffic maybe.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:12   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
That explains it. Looks like it has been made one way now, after the floods. One side of the bridge is closed for traffic maybe.
both sides were open in the morning. no heavy vehicles were allowed though
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 08:38   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
both sides were open in the morning. no heavy vehicles were allowed though
Today the bridge was closed, at least from the Cenotaph road side. I had to reach ascendas through chamiers road -> greenways road -> adyar bridge -> OMR.

Minimal traffic, roads were ok with little water stagnation.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 09:08   #2750
BHPian

I heard from a friend of mine that the bridge has developed some cracks and hence traffic is diverted.
Old 10th December 2015, 13:33   #2751
BHPian

For Motorists:

1. The GST road between Capital Honda (Meenambakkam) and Old Airport Bus-Stop is considerably damaged.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-capture.png

2. The portion of Link Road between NGO colony (Adambakkam) and Maduvankarai is heavily damaged.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1.png

Exercise caution when using these roads.

3. Many people who reside in Nanganallur / Madipakkam area were cut-off from the other side of town because the railway-underpasses (sub-ways) at Meenambakkam, Palavanthangal and St. Thomas Mount stations were completely filled with water. For those who are new to the neighborhood, there is a manned rail-road crossing behind AM Jain College, which passes through the NAD Colony and connects with NH45 (GST Road).

It is a well laid-out road and allowed for traffic 24x7, except for heavy vehicles.Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-2.png

Attached maps are for easy reference only and may not be accurate.

Last edited by Srikanthan : 10th December 2015 at 13:52. Reason: Adding more Information.
Srikanthan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 09:14   #2752
Senior - BHPian

And this is how a car tansforms from "moving people" to being "moved by people".

tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 00:51   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
And this is how a car tansforms from "moving people" to being "moved by people".
I trust that driver was too confident that he would pass the water. I wonder what would have happened if someone has opened a door in the last few minutes.

Going by the depth, I think water would have already started seeping in..
Old 15th December 2015, 03:19   #2754
Senior - BHPian

Someone must have sold him the duster that its a 4 wheel drive that can go in any road conditions and can swim and survive even ocean currents.

I usually dont drive even for normal rains in front of vetri theater in chrompet. Let alone these rains and unknown roads.

Title should - How we thought this man was wise only to realize !!!
Old 15th December 2015, 15:17   #2755
BHPian

Today there was a major roadblock/ traffic jam at Mambakkam this morning. Any idea what caused this..?
Old 16th December 2015, 11:13   #2756
Team-BHP Support

What would be the best way to enter Chennai from the Nellore highway and get to Adyar?

Is Puzhal and then Chennai Bypass the only feasible option?
Old 16th December 2015, 15:11   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What would be the best way to enter Chennai from the Nellore highway and get to Adyar?

Is Puzhal and then Chennai Bypass the only feasible option?
That seems to be the best option. Last week I went to Tada and came back that way to Thiruvanmiyur and it was relatively fast.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 09:25   #2758
BHPian

The attached photo demonstrates why pollution levels are low in Chennai compared to Delhi.
This is the highest number of riders I have seen till date on a two wheeler other than the army parades during Republic days. I have seen four often but mostly two adults and two children, but never 5 guys on one two wheeler and that too all teenagers.
Probably they are extremely aware of the global warming problems and acid rains. Therefore they have decided to reduce their carbon foot print to the least possible amount. They are sure that their safety will be taken care by the rest of the drivers and riders when they are saving the planet.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-wp_20151215_001.jpg  

arulpeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 09:30   #2759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
The attached photo demonstrates why pollution levels are low in Chennai compared to Delhi.
This is the highest number of riders I have seen till date on a two wheeler other than the army parades during Republic days. I have seen four often but mostly two adults and two children, but never 5 guys on one two wheeler and that too all teenagers.
Probably they are extremely aware of the global warming problems and acid rains. Therefore they have decided to reduce their carbon foot print to the least possible amount. They are sure that their safety will be taken care by the rest of the drivers and riders when they are saving the planet.
It is the other way round. If 5 people sit on a bike then the engine has to burn more fuel so that it can produce torque to pull such a payload. This can result in increased emissions.
Old 29th December 2015, 06:51   #2760
Senior - BHPian

I am driving after 18 months and i dont know if its just me or the density has just doubled. The same distance even with construction obstructions used to take 60 minutes now takes over 75minutes.

Even at 5AM the traffic is absolutely high and i see more cabs on the road and their inept driving skills everywhere around.

And i dont know what Amma is doing but the roads needs to be restored back if delays needs to be reduced.

The Perungalathur Bridge as always is broken in rain and no one ready to fix it. The cops are just wasting time controlling the traffic while all it requires as a immediate fix is to fix the ROADS.

As a permanent fix this bridge needs to be 3 laned and not two laned.

I feel exhausted driving three days. I am seriously considering moving closer to work or just change work. Chennai traffic is just INSANE.

Most Viewed