Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2017, 23:12   #2926
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Heavy rain lashes the city. Please be safe and stay indoors fellow bhpians.
Old 2nd November 2017, 23:42   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Some huge water logging at Madhya Kailash turn from OMR to SP Road and ahead of Kathipara on Mount Road.

Managed to do Tharamani-T. Nagar with a drop off in Guindy in 40 min. Apart from the slow moving traffic around the water logging, rest of the way back home was with less traffic.

Meanwhile via TN Weatherman, here's whats in store for tonight:

Next Bands is moving and this looks very intense clouds too, looks like they converging one after another. I am happy this spell is happening at Night
================
This spell will slow down now. But one more beasty cloud is converging after the current one moves away. Chennai City has recorded close to 150 mm, the highest rains in a day since Dec 1st 2015.
Will go to sleep only when rains stops !!! Till then my posts will continue. Need not worry about floods as of now. We need rains. We need rains for water in our dams to increase. Lets not worry about BBC post too now. Varum bothu pathukulama.
Old 3rd November 2017, 00:00   #2928
Senior - BHPian

There is some serious waterlogging on kasturibai nagar, Adyar and on the 4th Main Road, Gandhinagar, Adyar, if the rain continues better to stay home and stay safe tomorrow.
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:45   #2929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
if the rain continues...
It continued. and how! In fact, it is still continuing.

Personal situation is that we have an excellent electric pump, with generator backup, and it has handled the rain with ease. However, what frightens me (quite a lot, actually: once was more than enough) is that the Buckingham Canal overflows. We can handle a sky-full of rain, but not a street-full.

Keeping an eye... wondering when/if to throw a few things in a bag and get us and the car out of here. Where to, and how, are other questions entirely.

I doubt that many offices will be open today. I'm not sure what the last thing I read about exams was.

There could be more of the same on coming days: hope we all get through this safe and dry!
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:24   #2930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We can handle a sky-full of rain, but not a street-full

Keeping an eye... wondering when/if to throw a few things in a bag and get us and the car out of here. Where to, and how, are other questions entirely
We can handle a sky-full because its handled by Nature, not a street full because it's handled by politicians who're handling just like how things are handled in US

Empathizing with you; despite God protecting us in 2015, I still feel the fear factor even though there's not even ankle deep water in our locality. Such is the fear instilled in our minds of Chennaites who've experienced 2015 floods.

Meanwhile, something else is in news, not sure if you've seen this. If this happens to be a reality, not sure where should we all head, even a flight is of little help

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-letter_18510.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 3rd November 2017 at 07:26.
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:52   #2931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Meanwhile, something else is in news, not sure if you've seen this. If this happens to be a reality, not sure where should we all head, even a flight is of little help
Looks too fake to me, just don't bother about this letter at all.

Few glaring errors I could spot -

- the website on the letterhead cannot exist in the first place - its a combination of a website and a mail ID! And try it, it does not exist.
- No one names a storm even before it is confirmed to have formed, so the "SEESHMA" storm should be an imagination
- Last line says observation made on 20 Aug, date on letter is 20/09/2017!
-The address below the letter does not show up in Google maps.
- No Tsunami can cross India and go reach Nepal, especially crossing the Mt. Everest. No bloody way !!

- Not even pointing out the numerous horrid grammatical errors and spelling mistakes on the letter!
But just can't resist pointing out Thyland !
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:50   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Looks too fake to me, just don't bother about this letter at all.

Few glaring errors I could spot -

- the website on the letterhead cannot exist in the first place - its a combination of a website and a mail ID! And try it, it does not exist.
- No one names a storm even before it is confirmed to have formed, so the "SEESHMA" storm should be an imagination
- Last line says observation made on 20 Aug, date on letter is 20/09/2017!
-The address below the letter does not show up in Google maps.
- No Tsunami can cross India and go reach Nepal, especially crossing the Mt. Everest. No bloody way !!

- Not even pointing out the numerous horrid grammatical errors and spelling mistakes on the letter!
But just can't resist pointing out Thyland !
plus its ESP and not science. BS.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:11   #2933
BHPian

Quote:
A quick google on Babu Kalayil and seems he has been on headlines many a times.

Yes, the news is fake and its his prediction out of ESP and psychic abilities.

Source: https://www.snopes.com/indian-ocean-...ediction-2017/

Update: Heavy water logging on GST road at SP Koil and on streets in Guduvanchery. Exercise caution.

BTW, no leaves for corporates
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:14   #2934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, something else is in news, not sure if you've seen this. If this happens to be a reality
Attachment 1691989
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Looks too fake to me, just don't bother about this letter at all...
Gents, the address and the person are very much real. However, he's just a crackpot who keeps dishing out such imaginative stuff time and again. He had made claims of having discovered a new earth-like planet with life on it. Even made sketches of the people living there, their polity, nature, etc.

Take it as a joke, like many others we keep seeing often
silversteed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:33   #2935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
BTW, no leaves for corporates
Better to work today than have a compensation day, there's little to no rain predicted till evening today. My decision would've been otherwise if it rained this morning in the same vein as last night.

Many including mine have been given the option to work from home, this would depend on their business.

I infact made it much quicker than I normally would, courtesy of those either taking the day off or working from home.
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:49   #2936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We can handle a sky-full because its handled by Nature, not a street full because it's handled by politicians who're handling just like how things are handled in US
The personal we can't hand a sky-full because the impersonal authorities built the road outside quite a lot higher that the garden.

Quote:
Empathizing with you; despite God protecting us in 2015, I still feel the fear factor even though there's not even ankle deep water in our locality. Such is the fear instilled in our minds of Chennaites who've experienced 2015 floods.
No divine protection for us on that day. Still... the whole city sufferred. Post-trauma stress all rounf.

Quote:
My wife came up with this one from... guess where... Begins with a Wh ; )

That was just the text, without the letterhead. I pointed out that science is still dreams away from such predictions, and that, generally, real academics can at least spell country names right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Gents, the address and the person are very much real. However, he's just a crackpot who keeps dishing out such imaginative stuff time and again. He had made claims of having discovered a new earth-like planet with life on it. Even made sketches of the people living there, their polity, nature, etc.

Take it as a joke, like many others we keep seeing often
I'm not religious, but I am not materialist either, and I believe in several things that science would pour scorn on. But even my Extra-Sensory Perception tells me that this is cow excrement

Glad of having a day to dry out and let the excess water run off.

If I did pray, it would be for 25mm of rain every day for the rest of the month and no more 200-plus-mm deluges.

Wife is out. She tells me the streets are deserted like driving at 1.00am!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd November 2017 at 16:51.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:25   #2937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It continued. and how! In fact, it is still continuing.
Where? Its not rained all day in the parts of the city I've been in - Indira Nagar and Royapettah - today.
Old 3rd November 2017, 18:12   #2938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Where? Its not rained all day in the parts of the city I've been in - Indira Nagar and Royapettah - today.
He posted at 1215am at that time it was indeed raining in T.Nagar, Nungambakkam atleast. I saw at 3mm at that time in KEA Weather station which is in Nungambakkam at < 10 mm/hr rate. Its been holding steady at 41.9 mm since 730am this morning.

Thats about 38 mm overnight, not as intense as it was at 9-10pm.

Quote:
She tells me the streets are deserted like driving at 1.00am!
It was more like driving on a Sunday. 11 km in 23 min this morning.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:41   #2939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
It was more like driving on a Sunday. 11 km in 23 min this morning.
Just a tiny drizzle of rain on my way back from Mylapore about 20 minutes back - and it was still enough to snarl traffic like crazy :(
Old 3rd November 2017, 21:31   #2940
Distinguished - BHPian

hserus, can you come and put your rain-proof bubble around our house, please?

Seriously, the rain stopped about 6.00am this morning, and there has not been much all day up until evening. So I suspect you misread my am for a pm. Yesterday and last night was the wettest day since Dec 1 2015

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks