Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 21:41   #2941
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Meanwhile, something else is in news, not sure if you've seen this. If this happens to be a reality, not sure where should we all head, even a flight is of little help

Attachment 1691989
Electronic Stability Program, atleast that works. Having an official letter pad won't make it more authentic, either.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:37   #2942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Electronic Stability Program,
I think it is more likely to be A BS!
Old 4th November 2017, 08:14   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
hserus, can you come and put your rain-proof bubble around our house, please?

Seriously, the rain stopped about 6.00am this morning, and there has not been much all day up until evening. So I suspect you misread my am for a pm. Yesterday and last night was the wettest day since Dec 1 2015
I'm sort of glad I live on Indira Nagar 1st Main Road. This slopes gently downwards so that all the water flows away from us - which means that even during the 2015 floods I had not much more than ankle deep water to contend with. And a dry car.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 08:38   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Actually the situation is much better than what the media is projecting it. I get rather irritated when my parents keep calling from Coimbatore and keep telling me not to go anywhere as the city is sinking and people are drowning!! They trust this skewed media over so many people from Chennai telling we are all fine here, and situation is nowhere near what it was back in 2015.
They keep showing few low lying areas & keep projecting that Chennai is down again, which is just cheap tactics to gain TRP ratings!

Last edited by aravind.anand : 4th November 2017 at 08:39.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 09:37   #2945
Senior - BHPian

If this puts enough pressure on the administration to sort things out in the city, then why not!
Old 4th November 2017, 16:43   #2946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Actually the situation is much better than what the media is projecting it. situation is nowhere near what it was back in 2015.
Indeed, you are right. Even if we had had more rain than on Dec1st, it still would have been nowhere near it. It would have just set a new record, and one we could have enjoyed this time.

In 2015, the wettest day in a hundred years followed immediately on November coming with a few mm of breaking its record. The city was already sodden, and with lakes and reservoirs full.

And... it was not the day's rain that flooded us: it was the lake water release.
Quote:
They keep showing few low lying areas & keep projecting that Chennai is down again, which is just cheap tactics to gain TRP ratings!
It is good that they highlight the areas where neglect and bad planning has lead to flooding with just one day of serious rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If this puts enough pressure on the administration to sort things out in the city, then why not!
Indeed. But sadly...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 12:52   #2947
BHPian

Overnight rains and this is the state of a road in T.Nagar!
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-flooded-few-hours.jpg  

swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 13:18   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Overnight rains and this is the state of a road in T.Nagar!
hi swissknife - which road is this? I stay near Vanimahal which is usually waterlogging area, but surprisingly not much stagnation today morning.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 13:20   #2949
BHPian

This is the place that is called "New Bazaar". It is the last right when you come from Vani Mahal on Bazullah Road towards North Usman Road.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 16:02   #2950
Distinguished - BHPian

Weather... By the way...

People are forwarding a video screen grab from the excellent app Windy showing that a cyclone might come to the city on December 4th. It is an old forecast that simply didn't happen. That weather system has already gone elsewhere. In fact, we might get some rain from it in a weeks time.

Don't believe the forwards, get the latest model forecast direct...

Windy for Android
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:00   #2951
BHPian

OT - I may move to chennai anytime because of personal issues. My office is near One Magnum,Thoraipakkam. If this happens, I would need your help on which place to settle down. I have 3.5 yrs old kid. Here are my priorities:

1. Less or no water logging areas.
2. Near to school for my kid.
3. Good neighborhood. This is a must, as i am now paying the price for not deciding on this in my current place.
4. Reasonable rent and rental advance.

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th December 2017, 18:44   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Ceebros Boulevard. Very little waterlogging during 2015 as the road slopes down towards the opposite side (Kannagi Nagar). Flats to the left or right of it are good too. Not terribly cheap, I will give you that.

I own a flat there - it is a good place, and a premium builder.

I don't know what you define as reasonable - but there are 2bhk and 3bhk flats there. Plenty of cheaper flats further up OMR but well .. you had to take boats down the OMR and get supplied by helicopter in those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
OT - I may move to chennai anytime because of personal issues. My office is near One Magnum,Thoraipakkam. If this happens, I would need your help on which place to settle down. I have 3.5 yrs old kid. Here are my priorities:

1. Less or no water logging areas.
2. Near to school for my kid.
3. Good neighborhood. This is a must, as i am now paying the price for not deciding on this in my current place.
4. Reasonable rent and rental advance.

Thanks in advance!
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 19:29   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Honestly that whole area is ex marshland, and even if you do manage to find a house or an apartment complex which does not get flooded,
1. The roads in that area will get flooded anyway
2. the whole area is in an a ground level raising competition, and in a few years you might find your flat lying relatively low compared to the adjacent properties, and consequently flooded
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 19:52   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Ceebros Boulevard. Very little waterlogging during 2015 as the road slopes down towards the opposite side (Kannagi Nagar). Flats to the left or right of it are good too. Not terribly cheap, I will give you that.

I own a flat there - it is a good place, and a premium builder.
Thanks Hserus! Sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Honestly that whole area is ex marshland, and even if you do manage to find a house or an apartment complex which does not get flooded,
1. The roads in that area will get flooded anyway
2. the whole area is in an a ground level raising competition, and in a few years you might find your flat lying relatively low compared to the adjacent properties, and consequently flooded
Thanks greenhorn! I am really worried about this flooding aspect.

One more query guys - I have a 10 months old Alto K10 AMT here in Bangalore. Should i sell it and get a new one under car lease, considering the hassles of getting NOC and transferring it to TN registration is worth it?
Old 8th December 2017, 19:56   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks Hserus! Sent you a PM.

Thanks greenhorn! I am really worried about this flooding aspect.

One more query guys - I have a 10 months old Alto K10 AMT here in Bangalore. Should i sell it and get a new one under car lease, considering the hassles of getting NOC and transferring it to TN registration is worth it?
You will run into a loss that way, selling an almost new car. Figure out how much is the loss selling your 10 month old car, versus the cost of getting a NOC and then paying the (lower!) life tax in Chennai. Unless you have extensive patience running around between RTOs, your bangalore life tax is gone so factor that into your calculations.

If it were a 3..4 year old car I'd have told you to sell by all means.

The other alternative is, drive it back and forth bangalore to chennai on a fairly regular basis (and make sure no chennai stickers on the car windshield such as office parking, flat parking etc), then if any cops ask you are just visiting relatives in the city. Chennai police aren't too serious about out of state vehicles except big expensive cars registered in Pondy, whereas for the bangalore RTO every outstate car is a huge revenue opportunity.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks