Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2018, 14:41   #3046
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
OMR Toll rates hiking again. It's 27 Rs one-way effective from 1st July. One of the worthless toll gates in the city :-(
There is not much maintenance required at this stretch as this is not a heavy vehicle movement area (if you discount those lorries carrying water around) and the number of vehicles per km of toll road in this stretch is massive when compared to a regular highway, but despite all this they have the need to hike the toll fares now.

What is even more annoying? the hunt for the change begins! 25 was far more easier to handle
Old 26th June 2018, 18:48   #3047
Distinguished - BHPian

Especially if you're driving from Perungudi towards the airport and only using the toll road for three minutes
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 19:29   #3048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
What is even more annoying? the hunt for the change begins! 25 was far more easier to handle
For this reason alone, I'm going to entirely keep using the "socially" risky Nookampalayam link road to skip the toll booth to get to/out of OMR from Selaiyur. 25 bucks was decent and doable but that extra 2 bucks will only keep our wallets all jingly-jangly with coins from here on out
Old 29th June 2018, 13:51   #3049
BHPian

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2018 at 17:57.
Jebs is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st July 2018, 01:09   #3050
BHPian

The OMR elevated corridor is in news for quite sometime, not sure whether it will see the light of the day. The latest news is that 2,960 cr have been allocated/estimated for the project.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chen...w/64754548.cms
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:44   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Last week I was stopped opposite English Electric (Areva) at Pallavaram and fined Rs 100 for sun film! The fine had to be paid ONLY through debit/credit card, strictly no cash. Whoever did not have either was in soup! I was given a printed receipt on the spot.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:22   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Last week I was stopped opposite English Electric (Areva) at Pallavaram and fined Rs 100 for sun film! The fine had to be paid ONLY through debit/credit card, strictly no cash. Whoever did not have either was in soup! I was given a printed receipt on the spot.
What sunfilm was it? CR 70 or something else?

Surprised that the Chennai cops are catching private cars for sunfims. Usually they turn a blind eye!
Raghav_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:58   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post

Surprised that the Chennai cops are catching private cars for sunfims. Usually they turn a blind eye!
If they have started, the first offence is 100, subsequent offences are 300 each. All logged in the system they access using those handheld devices they use to scan your RC and DL.

I kept getting caught in Bangalore due to having slightly more visible RE70 on my Fiesta windows (front and back windshields are CR70). They also threaten to remove it with a blade on the spot. Now a days, when I see a cop anywhere ahead, I roll down my windows. It’s a shame if they have also started doing this in Chennai.

When I say CR70 is RTO approved they insist that all sunfilm is illegal, only OEM tinted windows are acceptable. As it is a relatively small amount I don’t care too much right now, it’d be far more expensive to scrape off the sunfilm and that would also hurt my eyes badly as they’re sensitive.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:02   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Weird power cut all across town for what's 'walk in the park' rains for Madras. Ours was gone from 1230-330am, some had as much as 5 hours long.
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:10   #3055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Weird power cut all across town for what's 'walk in the park' rains for Madras. Ours was gone from 1230-330am, some had as much as 5 hours long.
Not as much of a walk in the park as you think - while the rain was fairly less, there were high winds so that a couple of trees came down in my area (Adyar / Indira Nagar). This tree fall issue and/or the winds might have led to power cuts.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:17   #3056
BHPian

Yes, the rain was fairly less in Ramapuram and surroundings. But, there was continous lightning and thunder for close to 2 hrs late evening.

Alas, a huge lightning accompanied by thunder, struck on a coconut tree in our township and caused fire.

Luckily there was nothing major and few construction workers doused the fire.
Old 3rd July 2018, 21:45   #3057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post

They have been turning a blind eye all these years!

I don't remember the specs, it is nine years old, installed by ABT when I bought the car. But it is quite dark. I am planning to remove it when the car goes for service next week.
Old 6th July 2018, 10:20   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Last week I was stopped opposite English Electric (Areva) at Pallavaram and fined Rs 100 for sun film!
Do you mind if I ask what car you were driving? My uncle who is in telecom business needs to frequently travel to pondy and he used to take his Innova. He used to get pulled over regularly and some payment needed to be made. Ever since he started taking the beaten up i10, he hasn't been stopped once.
Old 7th July 2018, 18:08   #3059
Team-BHP Support

I had ridden down to Chennai on Wednesday and had a very funny situation with the cops.

Went to Ambica Apalam Depot to pick up some of their awesome Parappu Podi.
Forgot my helmet at the store.
Exited the gate and just as I realize that my head is exposed, two policemen flag me down.
I hand them my license and RC. Told them I will come back in a minute. Went and picked up my helmet.

The Constable wants to fine me a hundred rupees. So keeps insisting I give him my credit card.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
So I keep insisting that he check the lining of my helmet, which is still wet from my sweat.
Then he asks me to wait.
I oblige and start directing the traffic at that congested point.

The inspector is finally free and dismissed me.
I take back my RC and license and thank them.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 18:25   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I had ridden down to Chennai on Wednesday and had a very funny situation with the cops.

Went to Ambica Apalam Depot.
If that’s the Adyar one that’s down the road from my place. It isn’t a free left on either side of the road but motorists keep trying to take a free left there so there’s usually a patrol lying in wait just inside that road (side entrance or the Ambika Appalam Depot).

Looks like you ran into them ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks