Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:41   #3181
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
Hi All,

I plan to park my car in metro station at Chennai airport for a day and pick it up next day (approximately 28 Hrs) and wanted to know if Chennai airport metro station has covered parking or not. Or should I use directly airport parking which has only open parking. Would prefer covered parking.

Airport Parking : 600 (for 24 Hrs - 300 and anything above it full day charge)
Metro Parking: 700 for 24 Hrs and beyond

Share me any details if possible.
When I tried to park my car in Metro parking structure couple of months back on a weekend, a security person denied entry giving no reason. I'm sure there was some reason but for whatever reason he seemed bit pissed off to give me an answer. I complained to CMRL twitter account and nothing came out of it.

As I was anyway trying to park for taking the Metro into the city, I went to Alandur station, parked and took the train from there.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 15:41   #3182
BHPian

I am done with my one day trip. Hence adding some details here. Parked my car in Chennai airport - open parking since there is no covered parking available there. Was charged 600/-. The total time parked was 29 Hrs.

Though airport metro station parking had a covered parking, its open between 5.30 AM till 23.59. Hence it was closed when I reached at 4.45 AM. I did not find the parking timings anywhere on the internet.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 15:52   #3183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
I am done with my one day trip. Hence adding some details here. Parked my car in Chennai airport - open parking since there is no covered parking available there. Was charged 600/-. The total time parked was 29 Hrs.

Though airport metro station parking had a covered parking, its open between 5.30 AM till 23.59. Hence it was closed when I reached at 4.45 AM. I did not find the parking timings anywhere on the internet.

The parking times of the stations are available in the Chennai Metro mobile app. And they are going to bring a system where the parking charges can be paid by only the metro smart cards so that the parking is used only by genuine metro users.
guru_max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 13:46   #3184
Distinguished - BHPian

Most cities have their own automotive culture and Chennai has its own as well. But the city seems to have turned a corner; commercial taxis have never been seen in a petrol avatar here (ignoring the one or two Nano taxis that I've seen till before now). Other cities in India have had WagonR, Alto and Santro as taxis.

But now? I'm seeing Alto Tour and Celerio Tour taxis. The number of sightings in the Tambaram area are noticeably up. Is Maruti pushing these cars at deep discounts to cab operators? Why would the cabbies even touch petrol cars with a barge pole here in Chennai?
Old 6th September 2019, 15:08   #3185
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would any high-mileage commercial vehicle user go for petrol?
Old 6th September 2019, 15:13   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But now? I'm seeing Alto Tour and Celerio Tour taxis. The number of sightings in the Tambaram area are noticeably up. Is Maruti pushing these cars at deep discounts to cab operators? Why would the cabbies even touch petrol cars with a barge pole here in Chennai?
Probably because it's now cheaper to own and operate a petrol car at least for the first 2 lakh km.
Old 6th September 2019, 16:23   #3187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why would any high-mileage commercial vehicle user go for petrol?
That's precisely what beats me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Probably because it's now cheaper to own and operate a petrol car at least for the first 2 lakh km.
I assume you're referring to the narrowing of the gap between Petrol and Diesel's pricing. Maybe that's what it is and perhaps some cab operators have finally found it in them to bite the bullet and give petrol cars a shot to see if it works out or not. The hypothesis bears testing out - they should be cheaper to maintain in the long run.

Or, these cabs are being run on CNG or LPG. I couldn't find any tell-tale signs of either on the outside though.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 17:02   #3188
Senior - BHPian

Well there must be another hidden thing - G.A.S. Either the cars are running on gas or have plans to convert into gas in long run.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 17:37   #3189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
How can it possibly be cheaper to run a petrol car constantly for many hours a day on petrol rather than diesel?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 08:33   #3190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can it possibly be cheaper to run a petrol car constantly for many hours a day on petrol rather than diesel?
For continuous short haul runs in stop and go city traffic? That’s a slow death for a Diesel engine, or rather a fast one given the number of daily miles a local cab can notch up.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 09:08   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
A brand new Alto LX OTR would be around 4.2 lakh (approx) whereas the cheapest diesel (Tiago) available in the market would cost around 6.5 lakh (approx).

Below are the assumptions
  • Fuel price - Petrol @ 75/l and diesel @ 69/l
  • Fuel Efficiency - Petrol @ 15 kmpl and diesel @ 18 kmpl
  • Annual Maintenance cost - Petrol @ Rs. 5000 and diesel @ Rs. 8000
  • Monthly Usage - 5000 km (60,000 annually)
  • Loan for 3,00,000 @ 9.5% ROI for 4 years

If you take these into account, you will realize that the benefit of diesel could be reaped after 4 years or 2,00,000 km (approx).
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 14:50   #3192
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok... I'm not good at sums, so I hadn't tried.

I still wonder, though... Are London black cabs still diesel? Aren't buses diesel? The ultimate in stop-start driving.

It's a long time ago now, and sure, an Indicab is no Mercedes, but I recall talking to a German cab driver. Two brothers keep the car in use 24 hours, and the car lifetime is loooooong.

Just my preconceptions here maybe!
Old 7th September 2019, 17:11   #3193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Most cities have their own automotive culture and Chennai has its own as well. But the city seems to have turned a corner; commercial taxis have never been seen in a petrol avatar here (ignoring the one or two Nano taxis that I've seen till before now). Other cities in India have had WagonR, Alto and Santro as taxis.

Those are running on gas, CNG or LPG. Recently i got one such alto on uber, driver was directly coming from the showroom it seems, car had 55kms on odo and no number plates .
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 18:45   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
I still wonder, though... Are London black cabs still diesel? Aren't buses diesel? The ultimate in stop-start driving.
Black cabs used to be diesel. Now, London EV Company which makes these cabs has stopped manufacturing diesel cabs and instead has started rolling out Electric vehicles.

While in London, most of the taxis (expect black cab) that I have been in were petrol-powered. Also, I believe that it's cheaper to operate a petrol vehicle. Petrol is cheaper than diesel by around 10-15 pence.

Buses and Trucks are diesel-powered because these vehicles require more torque, which diesel engine offers aplenty at comparatively a lower RPM.

OT: The highest reading on any vehicle that I have been in is this Lexus (petrol-powered) taxi in Taiwan.

If in case the odo is not visible: the reading is 802670.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-taipei.jpeg  

Last edited by katchkamalesh : 7th September 2019 at 18:46.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 19:29   #3195
BHPian

I was at camp road junction this evening and I saw a traffic cop stop a mechanic (based on his costume) riding without a helmet.

Apparently a customer gave the bike for service and this mechanic took it for a test drive after fixing it up. I could see the cop impound the bike.

Now my question is who is going to pay the fine. The mechanic doesn’t look like someone who could cough up thousands of rupees as fine.

P.S. The mechanic did not look like the A.S.S type but rather an FNG type.

@Mods: Couldn't edit my previous post. Please merge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks