Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:43   #3211
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
stretch from Airport to Mahabs requires a special mention. Silky Roads!!
The only small stretch, a resurfacing was done was under Little Mount metro. Remaining were untouched. Few extras were those Grand Southern Trunk road display boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Mere coat of white paint on the line markings was the only visible change.
Exactly! I even saw this work in action. The OMR resurfacing happened in March. The things done on the lead up to Chinese premier were visit were Kasturba Nagar through TIruvanmiyur station external paint, all trash bins were moved off OMR service roads, metro construction if any was paused.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:07   #3212
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm surprised. They usually tart up the roads for investment meetings!

Anyway, I'd like to have diverted the leaders on to side roads, worse than farm tracks, to show them how many of us are forced to live.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:03   #3213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm surprised. They usually tart up the roads for investment meetings!
The route he was taken has always held up in terms of tarmac even with some of our seasonal downpours we get.

If they had decided to take him via OMR all through to Mahabs, it would have required a significant makeover

Lead up to elections are the best time for roads Many city/highway roads in TN got a makeover this March for this very reason.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:31   #3214
Senior - BHPian

They should have taken Xi/Modi into the depths of Ramapuram around SRM college for a true taste of Namma Chennai roads and trash. With the storm water drain work going on now they have completed one half and other half is wavy so all cars be it hatches or SUV's go like "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" on this section and since it rained recently it's gotten worse. They dug up the newly paved road and there was a ditch covering almost half of the road almost 15' deep right after rains on a Monday morning and had to wade through a jam that day while dropping my daughter of at SRM.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 13:17   #3215
BHPian

Quick update to the members using the Cenotaph Road. The signal at the Annasalai - Cenotaph Road Junction is put back to use. People can take the right on to the Annasalai. People who used to take the Moopanar Flyover and take a U turn earlier has to take right under the flyover. U turn is prohibited now.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 22:20   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Quick update to the members using the Cenotaph Road. The signal at the Annasalai - Cenotaph Road Junction is put back to use. People can take the right on to the Annasalai. People who used to take the Moopanar Flyover and take a U turn earlier has to take right under the flyover. U turn is prohibited now.

As a consequence,the right turn from KB dasan road towards Mount road is now blocked.
guru_max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 22:39   #3217
BHPian

I wanted to share you all how I was pissed off today at SIPCOT signal. I wanted to go right of the signal coming from an office in Siruseri.

1. Vehicles from right already were slowly inching forward to surge ahead as soon as the signal turns green for them - occupying quite a good space for vehicles going to right.
2. After taking a right at signal, a college/school bus crossed the non existent divider which was followed by other vehicles.
3. Left side is occupied by company buses.
4. Tavera infornt of me makes a stop to pickup a passenger.
5. There is a service road starting at the signal which then leads to a shopping mall. First an auto somehow squeezes to make way towards the service road way ahead of the signal by criss crossing the non existent divider.
6. Honda Civic also tries to do the same thing by flashing the headlamps, crossed the Tavera but is blocked by auto which came to the left to Tavera.
7. A Ford EcoSport with its indicators on was behind Honda Civic trying to emulate Honda Civic - again it was way behind the signal where the service road starts. I stopped my car infront of him. He turned his car and finally gave me the right of way.

Dash Cam - Part I

Dash Cam - Part II
Old 31st October 2019, 20:02   #3218
BHPian

I have a query regarding the local resident pass for East Coast Road.

I live near Kovalam and frequently cross the toll gates at Uthandi and Kelambakkam for work.

I recently moved here from another state and have the property agreement in my name (along with two other housemates) and the RC + registered address on it in my name at the Kovalam property.

However, the officials at the Uthandi Toll office ask for 3 things to prove my residency:
1. RC book of the car
2. Rent agreement
3. Gas Bill (should be in my name)

Unfortunately, the gas bill is not in my name but my housemate's since he's been living here before I moved. I tried reasoning but it wasn't fruitful (Please note that I speak very little Tamizh).

The officials at the office were adamant that I require all three documents in my name to get a local resident pass but as per the printed pages on the notice board, it states that only 2 documents are required: RC is compulsory along with any one of the following (Rent agreement, sale deed, house tax and gas bill, BSNL Bill).

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-uthanditollnotice2.jpg

I tried mailing the email address on the TNRDC website but haven't received any reply. I really need the toll pass and would appreciate any help in this regard from fellow BHPians.
namanski is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:02   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
6. Honda Civic also tries to do the same thing by flashing the headlamps, crossed the Tavera but is blocked by auto which came to the left to Tavera.
7. A Ford EcoSport with its indicators on was behind Honda Civic trying to emulate Honda Civic - again it was way behind the signal where the service road starts. I stopped my car infront of him. He turned his car and finally gave me the right of way.
This is a regular occurrence since the Marina Mall opened as all these educated morons are impatient of just waiting for a signal. They shouldn’t be even allowed to take right at the signal and enter the service road in my opinion but they can’t even wait to do that and have to do this stupidity.

I always go all the way to just before the Navalur toll and take a u-turn to enter the service road to the mall when I come from the Padur side regardless of whatever the traffic condition is.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 13:23   #3220
BHPian

The traffic towards Adyar from the Gandhi Mandapam Road and the straight pass to Adyar under the University/Cancer Hospital flyover was blocked today. Resulted in huge pileup on the Sardar Patel Road right from Saidapet Court and near the Madhya Kailash. Took 30 mins to reach the Gandhi Mandapam road from Madhya kailash junction.

Any insights on this blockade?
Old 6th November 2019, 08:09   #3221
Distinguished - BHPian

The smog/haze in Chennai is starting to raise some hairs. Scare-mongering and a ban on privately owned vehicles will follow next, I expect. A collective lowering of IQs is what I expect - while people continue to burn garbage, as MTC buses and commercial vehicles belch smoke and as sand on our ill-maintained roads continue to get kicked up and contribute to the ambient PM 2.5 levels.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 17:10   #3222
BHPian

Quick update. There is a new Shell pump coming up on the Velachery-Tambaram main road at Sembakkam. It is coming right opposite to Boaz Public school.
Old 25th November 2019, 21:08   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys,

I’ve a question related to road connectivity in Chennai, may be some Chennai T-Bhpians, who are aware of this area can help me with my query.
I need to go from the place marked in Blue in the direction of the Green arrow, such that I reach the main road towards ECR, but going to Navalur.
My wish is to avoid the Vandalur Zoo junction, which I heard is a bottleneck during traffic hours. However I see there is a forest / restricted area (Vandalur Reserve Forest), which makes my detour very long.
Anyone here knows, if there is a possibility to traverse through to Navalur without going through the Vandalur zoo junction.
Needless to say, I do not wish to trespass any restricted areas (demarcated in red) and get into trouble with the legal authorities.
Google maps doesn’t help me much, hence the question here to Bhpians who might know the locality.
I’m not sure, if I’m right here with my query, thought of giving it a try.
Location is roughly near Urapakkam.

Thank You.

Cheers
Spike

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-route.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th November 2019 at 21:45. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:21   #3224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I need to go from the place marked in Blue in the direction of the Green arrow, such that I reach the main road towards ECR, but going to Navalur.
My wish is to avoid the Vandalur Zoo junction, which I heard is a bottleneck during traffic hours. However I see there is a forest / restricted area (Vandalur Reserve Forest), which makes my detour very long.
Anyone here knows, if there is a possibility to traverse through to Navalur without going through the Vandalur zoo junction.
Needless to say, I do not wish to trespass any restricted areas (demarcated in red) and get into trouble with the legal authorities.
Boss, both good & not so good news!!

Good news - you can actually take the path of green route
Not so good - you cannot drive, but only walk for ~1500 acres of land

The area shown as reserve forest is Vandaloor Zoo

Point - You have to take Vandaloor zoo junction for shortest possible way, otherwise, the below detour
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-capture.jpg
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:12   #3225
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I haven't bothered to follow news about Fastag, because I don't do much intercity driving, and, even in town, I cross a toll booth only a few times a year.

For occasional crossing of OMR tolls, and sometimes venturing down ECR, do I need to? I don't mind doing it if the balance lasts forever and it makes passage easier

Yes, I know there is a fastag thread. I can go there for the details. But do I need to?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks