Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 17:32   #3256
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

New rule on vehicle fitness certificate renewal to apply from this week in TN

. Validity of FCs issued to commercial vehicles will be two years instead of one for vehicles which are less than eight years old.
. After eight years, all taxis, buses and truck owners should renew it once in 12 months. There are 12.2 lakh commercial vehicles in TN now.

Source

@Mods, Posting this here, since, I couldn't find a related thread. Request to move this post if there is one similar.
Old 24th February 2020, 13:16   #3257
BHPian

I was abused by a scooter rider in the morning today, at the Cenotaph Road Flyer. He didnt like the way I overtook him since he was driving extremely slowly. I was forced to cut wide as he moved right exactly when I was overtaking him. I am not sure if that was on purpose. I disregarded it. But then he overtook me again on the fly over, cut across me and stopped in front. He then abused me and threatened me with dire consequences saying car owners drive like this only etc. I was bemused at first and then I asked him to proceed on his way.

Now my dashcam has recorded all this. Is it worth lodging a case against him?
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:03   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
I was abused by a scooter rider in the morning today, at the Cenotaph Road Flyer. He didnt like the way I overtook him since he was driving extremely slowly. I was forced to cut wide as he moved right exactly when I was overtaking him. I am not sure if that was on purpose. I disregarded it. But then he overtook me again on the fly over, cut across me and stopped in front. He then abused me and threatened me with dire consequences saying car owners drive like this only etc. I was bemused at first and then I asked him to proceed on his way.

Don't think its worth your time and effort, moreover I am not even sure if the cops will be willing to register a case for threats on the road
Old 24th February 2020, 14:41   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post

Well, it was just verbal and not physical nor was there was any contact with the vehicles. Forget and move on. There is no point of thinking of it as it will make you more agitated.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:48   #3260
BHPian

Does anyone know if older cars in Chennai can avail high security registration plates (HSRP)?

If yes, where from?
Old 4th March 2020, 23:17   #3261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanski View Post
Does anyone know if older cars in Chennai can avail high security registration plates (HSRP)?

If yes, where from?
HSRP Plates are not authorised in TN and cars having that are fined. Would recommend you to stay away from it.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 10:47   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
HSRP Plates are not authorised in TN and cars having that are fined. Would recommend you to stay away from it.
That's interesting. I thought the mandates by MoRTH are to be adhered all around the country.

I've seen high security registration plates affixed to bikes here in Chennai. Here's a link for the same.
Old 6th March 2020, 16:28   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
HSRP plates are mandatory for all automobiles manufactured post April 1st, 2019. What is the reasoning behind this?
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:43   #3264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Err - Are you sure this is the latest situation (?) I got my Interceptor 650 plates from the RTO (delivered via the Chennai/Adyar dealer); and they were HSRP plates. This was back in May last year! Never been fined till date.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 17:03   #3265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Err - Are you sure this is the latest situation (?) I got my Interceptor 650 plates from the RTO (delivered via the Chennai/Adyar dealer); and they were HSRP plates. This was back in May last year! Never been fined till date.
I got my previous car, a 2014 Amaze, with HSRP plates in Chennai. By 2015 cops were chasing me for those plates, saying the government had dropped that previous vendor because those plates "didn't meet some standard", so I should just revert to old fashioned stickered or painted plates in the standard font.
Old 6th March 2020, 17:38   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I got my previous car, a 2014 Amaze, with HSRP plates in Chennai. By 2015 cops were chasing me for those plates, saying the government had dropped that previous vendor because those plates "didn't meet some standard", so I should just revert to old fashioned stickered or painted plates in the standard font.
Yeah this was the case then and even I had to revert back to the old one.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
HSRP plates are mandatory for all automobiles manufactured post April 1st, 2019. What is the reasoning behind this?
Seems like this is implemented from May 2019 and RTO is issuing the HSRP plates for a charge. Bad, I didn't keep a check on it.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 17:46   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
I just bought a new car in TN. HSRP are mandatory and it takes 2 to 3 days post registration to get the number plates.
Old 6th March 2020, 19:33   #3268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Seems like some under-target (in fines) police cops made up their own rules and you got caught in that. Or maybe a vendor/format change that is the cause of this confusion?

I really doubt that is the case, as I see several HSRP number plates across the city.
Old 6th March 2020, 20:41   #3269
BHPian

HSRP is mandatory for all new Cars and Bikes getting registered for many months now. Not sure if there is a possibility of getting a HSRP for a older car.
praveen_v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 10:18   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like some under-target (in fines) police cops made up their own rules and you got caught in that. Or maybe a vendor/format change that is the cause of this confusion?

I really doubt that is the case, as I see several HSRP number plates across the city.
That was 2015. Around 2019 they identified a new vendor and the government regulations say that all new vehicles must be delivered with HSRP.

Most Viewed