Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2020, 11:13   #3271
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That was 2015. Around 2019 they identified a new vendor and the government regulations say that all new vehicles must be delivered with HSRP.

Yes, that is correct. Coz you replied to my 2019/2020 timeline discussion with your 2015 experience; and @saisree was advising/recommending others not to go for HSRP plate basis that (which he latter corrected himself).

This conversation continued because of that; but now everyone has clear visibility of the situation on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
HSRP Plates are not authorised in TN and cars having that are fined. Would recommend you to stay away from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I got my previous car, a 2014 Amaze, with HSRP plates in Chennai. By 2015 cops were chasing me for those plates, saying the government had dropped that previous vendor because those plates "didn't meet some standard", so I should just revert to old fashioned stickered or painted plates in the standard font.
Old 8th April 2020, 15:37   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile in Chennai, fancy law college blokes break the rules and flee when the traffic cops try to seize their 1 month old SKODA Octavia L&K for not adhering to the lockdown.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-screenshot-20200408-3.34.41-pm.png

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th April 2020 at 15:38.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 03:13   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Meanwhile in Chennai, fancy law college blokes break the rules and flee when the traffic cops try to seize their 1 month old SKODA Octavia L&K for not adhering to the lockdown.
Only 2 possibilities - 1) they or their parents are well connected and they know they can get away from this or 2) special kind who think they can get away after police having their details and being on film for so long.

I will go with #1 as most likely.
Old 13th April 2020, 10:46   #3274
tud
BHPian

Quote:
There is also a number plate violation. Chennai has been using the HSRP for a while now and these boys managed to not fit it. Usually the dealer has to fit the HSRP plates, click pics and upload the same on the RTO portal. That's again a high level influencing at the dealership level.

BTW, can you share the exact URL from where you obtained the registration details. AFAIK, parivahan portal masks the finance company names for the recent vehicle registration entries. But this CERSAI details seems to be new and it doesn't show up for me.
Old 13th April 2020, 10:54   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for not adhering to the lockdown
Add one more reason - without proper reason

We're forced to go out nearly everyday on accounts of health reasons & we're let go most time because of e-pass & health reasons. Chennai police are doing a commendable job to their best adhering to law & also being polite as much as possible.

For past 1 week, they're not as stringent as how they used to be during week 1-2 + there's considerable traffic between 9 to 1 these days as well.
Old 13th April 2020, 11:40   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
BTW, can you share the exact URL from where you obtained the registration details.
Please follow this URL:

https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...chstatus.xhtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Add one more reason - without proper reason
Agreed. I go out twice a week to get the weekly stock of groceries and veggies. Not once I was stopped or pulled up for any reason. I always make sure I go early in the morning and avoid the supermarket format of stores.

The friendly neighbourhood kirana store guy packs and keeps all my stuff ready based on the whatsapp list I send the previous day. I go to the store and collect the items and pay via Paytm/gpay. My whole shopping is done in less than 5 minutes. Being little organised really goes a long way in avoiding any hassles.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 13th April 2020 at 11:42.
Old 13th June 2020, 14:07   #3277
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this thread is on a lockdown and none of the Chennai BHPians are venturing out! There’s been no posts for quite sometime.

How’s the scene outside your home? Do people adhere to the self imposed lockdown? I heard people travelling from city to suburbs like Tambaram, vandalur etc are being stopped and checked.

Do you guys think we need a much stricter lockdown in the city considering the rapid increase in cases?
Old 13th June 2020, 17:39   #3278
Distinguished - BHPian

Life on the streets here is looking pretty normal. Building site nearby is busy.

Being of higher-risk age, we are in no hurry to go out.

Of course, being young and fit is no guarantee of not being seriously ill, and being older is guarantee of being unsafe. But it is a factor in decision making
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 12:22   #3279
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the purge of Chennai is complete. The virus has emptied Chennai of its unwilling residents who've fled the city up until yesterday.

One wonders when they'll be back again.

Last edited by locusjag : 19th June 2020 at 12:23.
Old 19th June 2020, 12:55   #3280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

One wonders when they'll be back again.
Looks like it is not gonna happen anytime now. Most of them have lost their livelihood in the city. Without regular income, it is very difficult to manage the high cost of living in the city.

During one such conversation with a non resident of Chennai, I heard that the cost of living in the native towns/ villages is a fraction of what they spend in the city. The family used to spend 15k/ month as living expenses while in the city. It has now come down to Rs. 3k to 4k. in their hometown away from the city.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 19th June 2020 at 13:17.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:43   #3281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... One wonders when they'll be back again.
They'll be back just in time to reintroduce the viruses they have now taken to their native places
Quote:
... I heard that the cost of living in the native towns/ villages is a fraction of what they spend in the city. The family used to spend 15k/ month as living expenses while in the city. It has now come down to Rs. 3k to 4k. in their hometown away from the city.
broke is broke, whether you need 3k or 30k to pay for roof and food. If the jobs are here, not there, I guess that, like it or not, they will be back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Life on the streets here is looking pretty normal. Building site nearby is busy.
Six days later... Back to lockdown silence. News from milkman is that many streets closed by barriers.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th June 2020 at 16:48.
Old 19th June 2020, 18:17   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like it is not gonna happen anytime now. Most of them have lost their livelihood in the city. Without regular income, it is very difficult to manage the high cost of living in the city.
I just hope it never happens and the migration is one sided. Chennai has been over populated for a long time now and it has completely destroyed the landscape of the city. It is devoid of any water resource. It lacks proper drainage connection. And realtors have simply become greedy and have occupied every single parcel of land available, even if it is in the outskirts, driving up the real estate price. Imagine Chengalpet being called as Chennai.The population instead of being distributed just got concentrated in one city. I just pray that good sense prevails and people do not see the need to come back to the city.
Quote:
During one such conversation with a non resident of Chennai, I heard that the cost of living in the native towns/ villages is a fraction of what they spend in the city. The family used to spend 15k/ month as living expenses while in the city. It has now come down to Rs. 3k to 4k. in their hometown away from the city.
Isn't it prudent to then settle down in their hometown instead of coming to the city?

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 19th June 2020 at 18:20.
Old 19th June 2020, 18:30   #3283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
The population instead of being distributed just got concentrated in one city. I just pray that good sense prevails and people do not see the need to come back to the city.
Infrastructure (roads, power, water, internet etc.) needs to be set up everywhere and not just in cities for people to settle outside of our cities - let's face it, urban overflow is entire India's bane.

Cities are provided with top dollar out of their coffers by state governments all the time all over India. Meanwhile, I've heard so many top honchos (from Montek Singh Ahluwalia to Rajan) saying over and over again that "we've got to get people out of the farms and into the cities. I lack the knowledge to comment on why these learned planners have this horrible goal in mind!

There is also the problem of selfishness by our politicians - for instance, the area now called Velachery in Chennai was an uninhabitable marsh until the end of the '90s. One top politician built his home there and ergo, roads, electricity and water connections came there in record time. Why can't our politicians develop every part of the state equally?
Old 19th June 2020, 19:26   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Infrastructure (roads, power, water, internet etc.) needs to be set up everywhere and not just in cities for people to settle outside of our cities - let's face it, urban overflow is entire India's bane.
To do that they will first need to have employment opportunities. Which will start pulling people to that particular region which can be followed by all the other amenities. Development will automatically happen. However I do not see the intent from the government to promote other cities like Madurai or Coimbatore or even Trichy. I
believe the TN government has completely ignored agriculture and farmers. I am afraid we may not have next gen farmer. It is equally concerning that Tamil Nadu begs vegetables, fruits and other essentials from from other states.
Quote:
Cities are provided with top dollar out of their coffers by state governments all the time all over India. Meanwhile, I've heard so many top honchos (from Montek Singh Ahluwalia to Rajan) saying over and over again that "we've got to get people out of the farms and into the cities. I lack the knowledge to comment on why these learned planners have this horrible goal in mind!
If people are out of farms, where will the food come from? Probably a good reason why Tamil Nadu still begs for food from other states. Not expecting much from capitalists.

Quote:
There is also the problem of selfishness by our politicians - for instance, the area now called Velachery in Chennai was an uninhabitable marsh until the end of the '90s. One top politician built his home there and ergo, roads, electricity and water connections came there in record time. Why can't our politicians develop every part of the state equally?
I am still waiting for a person who would actually have people welfare as the core motive. But at the moment I am not able to see a viable alternative in Tamil Nadu.

OT - I absolutely do not see what Tambaram lacks that Adayar or Nungambakkam has in plenty to be called a posh area.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 19th June 2020 at 19:29.
Old 19th June 2020, 20:28   #3285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Isn't it prudent to then settle down in their hometown instead of coming to the city?
Rhetorical question #1 - I could live in Kalakad, Tirunelveli District for a fraction of the cost of living in Chennai. But then again, why do I choose to live here?

Rhetorical question #2 - Why do you think they came here in the first place?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks